Random thoughts/Off topic/Last post wins

If you look at all the trucks that service high tension lines they all have grounding rods and straps on them. The induced voltage can wallop you right on your a$$

A friend of ours did just that while working for Duke. He got knocked out of a bucket, hit the ground, and was forced to go on disability.

Went to see Dark Phoenix today with Pammi. About an hour and 15 minutes into it, the fire alarm started flashing and the order to evacuate was given! The whole theater was evacuated and we assembled in the parking lot.
After a few, a fire truck and battalion chief SUV showed up. Then another truck showed up, but his lights weren't on and that one left right away.
A couple minutes later, they announced that they were giving everyone vouchers out, one for each ticket purchased, and that the movies would resume in 30-45 minutes, as soon as everyone had a voucher.
We got our vouchers and went to lunch.
Funny thing though, they never said what the problem was! I've looked online at all the news channels websites and the local paper's site. I even did a google search. Nothing!
I guess that I'm going to have to see if I can find a spoiler somewhere to find out how it ends!
Or, if anyone knows, send me a DM.

After I posted that I pulled a bunch of chicken out of the freezer and put it in the fridge for today. Hopefully nothing gets in the way of the chicken today.

Good luck, hope the sun is shining in CA.

If you need some ideas for the chicken, don't forget to check out the poultry thread here. Lots of good ones.

Greetings, all.

On this 4th of July, I was just wondering if most folks outside of this area had ever heard of the battle Kings Mountain. To shrink things into a nutshell, the war in the north had stalemated somewhat, so the British turned to the south. Except for the guerrilla tactics of Francis Marion (Mel Gibson - The Patriot) in the lowlands of South Carolina, the British were making progress in their westward march to the mountains when they ran into a bunch of farmers and backwoodsmen from the high country at a small knob in South Carolina named Kings Mountain.

The battle was a success, and it inspired an even bigger victory a few miles away at Cowpens, SC, and in Charlotte, NC (Lord Cornwallis referred to Charlotte as a hornets nest of rebellion - thus the reason for Hornet's nickname for ball teams).

Following Charlotte, a huge battle at Guilford Courthouse (near current day Greensboro, NC) weakened Cornwallis' army which led to his ultimate defeat at Yorktown.

One can only wonder what things could have been like had it not for the Overmountain Men's victory at Kings Mountain. Would the USA even exist today?

In The Winning of the West, Theodore Roosevelt wrote of Kings Mountain...

"This brilliant victory marked the turning point of the American Revolution."​

Thomas Jefferson called it...

"The turn of the tide of success."​

President Herbert Hoover at Kings Mountain said,

This is a place of inspiring memories. Here less than a thousand men, inspired by the urge of freedom, defeated a superior force entrenched in this strategic position. This small band of Patriots turned back a dangerous invasion well designed to separate and dismember the united Colonies. It was a little army and a little battle, but it was of mighty portent. History has done scant justice to its significance, which rightly should place it beside Lexington, Bunker Hill, Trenton and Yorktown.​

A side note of trivia, Davy Crockett's father fought in the battle.

Last edited:
Surfin the Web

I didn't go looking for hot dog carts but they found me. I was following a motorcycle thread, not moto trailers even, when I found this.

https://theusatrailerstore.com/cash-calf/

_57__33831.1538427453.1000.1200.JPG

.............no, I'm not getting into the hotdog vending business, just thought some of this was interesting.

I was kicking back on the couch in the back yard for a minute, watching the big trees blow in the wind & listening to the chimes. Started vacuuming the pool getting ready to clean the filters. I notice a bee crawling behind a cushion so I step on the couch trying to squish it. Another follows it in. I lift the cushion & there's a whole d@mN hive! I grabbed some hornet spray that's been flat for a couple years & went after them looking like tommy boy. I hope no one could see me - I'd be youtube famous :)

There's a mud hive in the back of the couch, where the seat cushion meets the back cushion, a little bigger than a softball. Not sure exactly what kind of flying stingers they were and I'm glad I didn't get stung.

67413256_10214870010885717_6677044875206066176_o.jpg

67192283_10214870011765739_4903078933617967104_o.jpg

Last edited:
what is wrong with those things?! I'm glad they didn't get me, I was laying across that loveseat just a few minutes earlier!

what is wrong with those things?! I'm glad they didn't get me, I was laying across that loveseat just a few minutes earlier!
They normally nest underground.
I was stung many times in my surveying days, they will chase you, and can sting multiple times.
Maybe the above ground nesting type aren't as aggressive??

I've been seeing little one-two mud....cells on bricks & wood walls, in an equipment room and a nearby shed. I squished them and seemed to be a grub of some sort in there. Those might've been wasps, I noticed more aggressive looking insects nearby. My trick is to slap them to the ground & stomp them :)

......I hope my luck holds up :)

We have a lot of yellowjackets around here, and if we leave our patio umbrella down for more than a day, they climb up inside and start to make a nest. Makes cranking up the umbrella an EXCITING EXPERIENCE! :D

Yep those little ba$tards are yellow jackets. Many people mistakenly call them "bees" they are not. They are a$$holes with wings. Nasty aggressive little critters. Can sting multiple times because they are wasps and I think they actually like doing it. I don't know how you escaped with your life LOL. I use brake cleaner on them. Only thing I found that can kill them mid air. I have found wasp and hirnet killer just makes them mad. Kinda like Mongo in Blazing Saddles when Gene Wilder says to the sheriff. "Don't shoot him, you'll just make him mad"

:) I was chased a couple times, I ran up, shook the can.....nothing.....turned it upside-down & a thick shaving-cream (a little thinner) foam shot out with about a 5' arc. Run up: spray, run away like tommy boy, wait, repeat :) I got a 30' distance once & watched for 30 seconds & then went at them again.

F those AH's with wings, but the Potters Wasps (single offspring that have the mud cells on my walls), I'm going to try to leave them alone unless they bother me or if anyone around here says anything. I have a lot of spiders too, so if they hunt them - good!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasp

1920px-Potter_Wasp_building_mud_nest_near_completion.JPG

Back