Weber Summit Charcoal Grill and Summit Charcoal Grilling Center - New for 2016

let's bring this thread back to the top of the pile....

I'm seriously considering purchasing the Weber Charcoal Summit.
but, i need to unload a few things...
like the Weber Ranch (that i rarely use)
the Performer (that i use everyday and it looks like it)
and my 22" WSM.
I'd keep my 14" WSM. use that quite often.

Thinking the Summit will replace the Performer AND the 22" WSM.

The Ranch just takes up lots of room that I do not have. AND I use it only once a year.

soooo...…..
if I find one on CL, i'll consider buying used.
Don't think I want the table version.
unless the price is right.

I have yet to see a WSCG offered for sale used in my area at any price.

Yuup, I guess that if you can afford one, then you can afford to keep it.

I have seen a couple on CL that were new-in-box, asking price a little off of the street price. I would assume that these "fell off of a truck" .

So, a gently used Ranch is south Wisconsin looking for a new home, eh?

So, a gently used Ranch is south Wisconsin looking for a new home, eh?
Yes Sir.... and with you a member of this fine establishment, I will cut at least $100 off the price. And help with delivering it closer to your backyard (if that's your preferred cooking location).

tempting offer, however, I really prefer just the grill/smoker version, not the table type....

Yes Sir.... and with you a member of this fine establishment, I will cut at least $100 off the price. And help with delivering it closer to your backyard (if that's your preferred cooking location).

tempting offer, however, I really prefer just the grill/smoker version, not the table type....

You know the idea of downsizing really appeals to me. We now have ten Weber's. Looking at the charcoal summit with the table would be my choice as I have almost all my grills on carts with tables or shelves and really find it convenient. Although I find maintaining 10 grills a lot of work.

I would sell my performer,18.5 WSM, the platypus kettle grill. the Weber gasser kettle could go as it's just our whole chicken cooker. Maybe the skyline 1000 but I restored that and really like it, also the Jumbo joe which shares the cart with the 18.5 WSM.
keep the E320 NG (our outside summer oven), the mini WSM, my green 1998 2000 I restored and bought new ( Barb would skin me alive if I sold that one) as that's her grill now, and the three burner spirt That would drop me down to four with a used Summit. Also give us a lot more room in our small back yard.

I think I won't mention it to Barb until after the holidays, much safer that way.

Last edited:
Glad you brought this thread back to life Jim. I’ve been thinking about one of these as well. The local hardware store has had one on display since they came out and I could down size a lot of grills with one of these.

Heck with the amount of money I have put into modifying the 26er I probably could have bought one! I have already started downsizing grills. My dad got my dusty performer and BIL received a never used 14” WSM...I had two :)

I too only use my ranch about once a year but it is a talking piece at every party. Jim, you might want to reconsider yard sale ing the ranch.

Glad you brought this thread back to life Jim. I’ve been thinking about one of these as well. The local hardware store has had one on display since they came out and I could down size a lot of grills with one of these.

Heck with the amount of money I have put into modifying the 26er I probably could have bought one! I have already started downsizing grills. My dad got my dusty performer and BIL received a never used 14” WSM...I had two :)

I too only use my ranch about once a year but it is a talking piece at every party. Jim, you might want to reconsider yard sale ing the ranch.

I've used my Ranch more then I ever thought I would. Every time I think about selling it my wife says NO. So thats that.

The local hardware store has had one on display since they came out...

Earlier this month, a friend of mine scored a floor model Summit Charcoal Grilling Center from an Ace Hardware store in San Diego. He offered $1000, they sold it for $969 including sales tax. Epic deal! Sometimes all you have to do is ask.

Dog not included. ;)

ufjRRUF.jpg

Earlier this month, a friend of mine scored a floor model Summit Charcoal Grilling Center from an Ace Hardware store in San Diego. He offered $1000, they sold it for $969 including sales tax. Epic deal! Sometimes all you have to do is ask.

Dog not included. ;)

ufjRRUF.jpg

Man, that was a steal! I have seen one used Summit Charcoal for sale in Florida, but the seller was trying to get most of his original purchase price:p.

Dog not included. ;)

ufjRRUF.jpg

AMAZING!!

I recently stopped by a local garden store that's a huge Weber distributor to again look at this "machine" in person....
I actually caught myself droolin' a bit….

it's just a matter of time now.....

The Ace hardware in Palatine is going thru a remodel. Everything is 30% off, including the summit without the side table. Price is 30% off $1699.

We just moved to the DC area and I am going to look around for a Summit Charcoal in this area. I have a 22" kettle that is a decade old and an 18" WSM. Thinking of either replacing the Kettle with a new Performer or just splurging and getting a Summit Charcoal. Want to see them in person, but the videos I've seen really make me want to take the plunge.

We just moved to the DC area and I am going to look around for a Summit Charcoal in this area. I have a 22" kettle that is a decade old and an 18" WSM. Thinking of either replacing the Kettle with a new Performer or just splurging and getting a Summit Charcoal. Want to see them in person, but the videos I've seen really make me want to take the plunge.
Funny 20+ pages of people complaining about the price but I still want one. Don't get me wrong, I realize this is a lot of money for what it is so it's not the "value" people have come to expect from Weber but its really not that far in price from a XL Green Egg with table or leg kit and from what I'm seeing, this grill is much better then a Green Egg. That and I admit, I'm a big Weber fan even if I don't love everything they make.

The reason why I want the summit is, I currently have 3 Weber grills... A Genesis, a Performer and a Jumbo Joe. Unlike most people here, I really don't have any desire for a deck/patio full of cookers. It just becomes clutter after a while and I don't cook that much food at one time to justify it. I'm usually only cooking for 2 and on occasion, maybe up to 10 people at most.

I love my Genesis. I have a 2 tier deck and the genesis sits at the top right outside the door to my kitchen. I know a lot of people here don't like gas but I'm fine with it for a lot of things and the convenience of it can't be beat. The JJ is and awesome grill for 2 people and its a great travel/camping grill that can be put away when not in use.

As for my Performer... well I know this will be considered blasphemy around here but if I'm being honest, I don't love it. I think most people do because of the flexibility of it which is true but for me, its a jack of all trades, master of none. As a grill, I think the bottom bowl is too deep and/or the coal grate is too low. For straight up grilling, I think my Jumbo Joe is much better just not as big. As a smoker, I think the performer is at best, barely mediocre. Maybe its just my poor skills but I find it very hard to get it to maintain a low temps, especially for extended cooks.

I have seriously considered a WSM for smoking but really don't want an additional outdoor cooker. I could probably be fine with replacing the Performer with a WSM and using the JJ for coal grilling needs but I think I would just be happier with the Summit Grill instead. Seems close to perfect for my needs. The thing keeping it from perfect for me (other then the price) is, the lack of a rotisserie option. I have for a rotisserie for my performer and I do like it for things like leg of lamb.

I won't be running out to buy one tomorrow but I do see this Summit in my future.

So the local ace hardware store has a summit grilling center on display since it came out. The floor model is on sale for 1400 bucks. Deal yes. 1400 bucks though is still a lot of coins...I’m conflicted

I am not Chris, but since getting my WSCG, I have used it almost exclusively. I see my WSM 18” and have used it a couple time since, but not often. I kind of feel sorry for the guy, like I am neglecting him.

Please don’t call and turn me into WPS (weber protective services), it would break my heart if they took away my WSM 18”.

Back