First grill for 2019

Yeah making meth out of Sudafed is a real thing. Our oldest son was a pharmacy tech for Walgreens for a while and told all sorts of stories about meth addicted people trying to buy or steal all the sudafed.

...... deleted

Last edited:
Unfortunately being in healthcare I've seen quite a number of meth addicted people that look just like that.

Doesn't make it any less gross to the rest of us. I really kinda wish Chris would take it down as it does make me sick to my stomach when it scrolls past

I see a lot of that on those "Cops" shows. When they pull the people out of the cars, you can immediately tell the crack/meth addicts. It, along with a host of other drugs, is a major crisis in this country. And it is oh so sad to see.

Today was a nice day so I took advantage and painted the frame.

Disassembled the grill...
LIzgvTZ.jpg

Some rusty areas...
0vkDwPi.jpg

gzFGoZ3.jpg

Used POR15 on the rusted areas and Quiksteel on the badly rusted out area...
PyBT0Uo.jpg

The back cabinet pieces were badly rusted so I decided to fabricate a sheet of aluminum...
lJWKNle.jpg

GeSoOW3.jpg

Measure twice, cut once...
pdnW4Cd.jpg

7CJi6wd.jpg

My son wanted to help so I had him drill extra holes in the frame...that's why it looks like that...didn't mind though as no one's going to be looking at the back.

How it looks so far...
6xNJYdN.jpg

ZumdJDw.jpg

Stay tuned!

Last edited:
That's looking really nice. One tip. Maybe use stainless steel screws to hold that and other aluminum parts on, and perhaps some type of "insulator" maybe a fiber washer or such between the steel frame and aluminum sheet since steel and aluminum don't like each other. That will help put off any galvanice corrosion between them

Nice job. I love that for a personal rebuild. Having a shop fab up a new piece out of stainless is just too expensive and that will last just as long and function just as well. I am looking forward to an update when you finish up another stage in the restore process.

That's looking really nice. One tip. Maybe use stainless steel screws to hold that and other aluminum parts on, and perhaps some type of "insulator" maybe a fiber washer or such between the steel frame and aluminum sheet since steel and aluminum don't like each other. That will help put off any galvanice corrosion between them

Thanks...yah I used stainless steel screws with nylon washers when screwing them on....I certainly don't want that reaction happening down the line between the metals.

Nice job. I love that for a personal rebuild. Having a shop fab up a new piece out of stainless is just too expensive and that will last just as long and function just as well. I am looking forward to an update when you finish up another stage in the restore process.

Thanks...yah I called shops around and the quotes they gave was out of my price range so I decided to do it myself since I had the tools (not the best ones but they work) and time. I'm hoping to get this grill done by the end of the month and do its first cookout on Super Bowl Sunday. Will definitely keep you posted.

So I was able to finish the "Budweiser" grill this weekend...

Y77mypl.jpg

qmZKZsj.jpg

4p2Keof.jpg

GBfMg68.jpg

ohX4BOS.jpg

VIjhf8A.jpg

Tested the grill with some lamb chops...

GGylfpD.jpg

eoEx8Sn.jpg

0ILVCbl.jpg

9Dco3pE.jpg

So with this being a keeper grill I will give my 3000 to my brother. This was a pretty quick rehab as I transferred the box, hood, control panel and manifold from the 3000 onto this grill since they are compatible and I wanted to keep the 13 bar firebox instead of the 5 bar that came with the grill.

That looks awesome Sam. Blue just looks great. And by the way I love lamb chops too.
Great job on that grill.

I love it. Love the blue and stainless together and that extra burner is bad *** looking.

How did you get the cook box to switch over? From what I understand, it came with a 5 bar box and you put a 13 bar box in it. I didn't think that was possible without major frame modification???

Thanks for the kind comments folks.

Bruce, so those frames do support the 1000 firebox/manifold/control plate combo because I believe that's the same frame that Jeff MA has his on his Genesis Platinum II series grill so no frame mod needed. I suspect now that the firebox/manifold that originally came with this grill should fit the 3000 frame and that's what I will give to my brother (5 bar). Keep in mind that this 5 bar box is not the same size as the Silver B/C box as the bar size is 23 5/16" in. long. Here are the bars for that box...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Weber-Stai...tyMailLargeFlatRateBox!98058!US!-1:rk:44:pf:0

Last edited:

Back