First grill for 2019

Sam Bee

TVWBB All-Star
I picked up this gem earlier today, it's a 00-01 Weber Genesis Platinum C. I really like the closed cabinet on this one because Weber didn't go el cheapo on the materials just like they did on the 05 Platinum C and so forth. I got the grill for $45 so not too shabby, I should have asked for $40 as I know the seller would have given to me at that price since he had this listed on OfferUp since last September for $75. Now I'm torn because I'm not sure which grill to keep...the 05 Platinum C (stainless frame, open cart) or this one. I have a 3000 as well but I'm going to keep that one for sure. It's most likely though I will rehab this one and give it to my brother as a housewarming gift. Well, here are some pics...

wgRQmRZ.png

9o1C2Gs.png

cslgMj5.png

fQ4MTm7.png

I need to have this grill done by early March as that's when his housewarming party will take place so I should have more than enough time but of course it all depends on the weather this time of the year.

Sam,
Nice find. I always likes the style of that grill with it's rather unique handle and end caps.
Can't wait to see the restored pics.

Jeff

Your brother will be one lucky guy.
Great buy. I have been chasing Weber's going on
5 years now, and have never seen one of those in
the wild.

he had this listed on OfferUp since last September for $75.

I am really curios about this though. That should have been a steal for someone even at $75.
So is it sitting out there for 4 months a testament to a weak market where you live, or is it more
of a weak OfferUp market issue? I would have to say the latter, at least here where I am. I often
search OfferUp and Letgo, but seldom actually find anything there. I am more likely to find a "Weber"
searching for "grills" as most the people that use those app's do not seem to be Weber savvy.

I have never sold anything on either of them, but rarely post items for sale there. I intend to start
listing everything on both though, as they do seem to be gaining popularity.

Dave,
It's a pretty hot market here in Mass but the Skyline & Genesis C I picked up off of Offerup had been on the site for over a year.

The seller finally wanted both off his porch and listed them as free which is when I scooped them up so I think it's an Offerup thing. Craigslist is good and Facebook Marketplace is now the hot spot for Weber's.

Jeff

I would NEVER sell or let that grill outta my sight if I was you! You will regret it as long as you live

Sam,
I am 100% with Larry. Don’t let that grill go! Of all three really nice grills you mentioned having, I would rate this one #1:eek:. That’s just an opinion, of course, but this one IS pretty special. Essentially, Weber adapted a Genesis firebox and manifold to a first generation Summit frame, and in this even rarer case included the Summit cabinetry. You got an incredible steal! I have seen only a couple of these including one on CL now that is nowhere near as nice as yours and asking $175!

You know, that cabinet gives a good path to restoring Silvers and Golds with the flat (always rusted) metal bottom. Add two horizontal bars and put in the wire rack bottom. The cabinet can now breathe but still provide a stylish look and a place to put stuff.

Last edited:
Yah, I have to agree with everyone there. It looks like a great deal. I cannot remember seeing one available around me either. That Budweiser logo is clearly a nice bonus as well.

Q
Your brother will be one lucky guy.
Great buy. I am really curios about this though. That should have been a steal for someone even at $75.
So is it sitting out there for 4 months a testament to a weak market where you live, or is it more
of a weak OfferUp market issue? I would have to say the latter, at least here where I am. I often
search OfferUp and Letgo, but seldom actually find anything there. I am more likely to find a "Weber"
searching for "grills" as most the people that use those app's do not seem to be Weber savvy.

I have never sold anything on either of them, but rarely post items for sale there. I intend to start
listing everything on both though, as they do seem to be gaining popularity.

I have mentioned before, but in my location OfferUp is growing significantly. I have had good success selling there and found some great buys, too. Letgo is not as active (although I have bought and sold on it) and Craigslist is slowly fading. I like that OfferUp makes it easy to inquire about an item (or answer questions when you are the seller).

Facebook Marketplace is a wild card here. If you trudge through the listings you can sometimes find some great grills that aren’t listed anywhere else. I have bought on it, but it has the most difficult to connect with sellers, at least in my experience.

Selling used grills, I think, depends heavily on convincing potential buyers that they are getting an almost new grill for a less than new price. Very few buyers know or care about things like the rareness of something like Sam’s Genesis Gold. To most, it looked like just another old Weber grill. However, well restored and maybe add a good write-up and you potentially have a different story. There is also a timing thing. What might sell immediately one time may take a month or so another. Depending on your seasonality, there are people who are shopping for grills but it can be hit or miss when they are looking.

Last edited:
Great assessment on how to sell rehabbed grills. It isn't about Platinum, Gold, Silver, or variations like Skyline. It is simple, they want a nice clean, like new WEBER. I am not even sure it makes a whole lot if difference if you are selling a Spirit E3xx vs a Genesis E3xx. But, I stick to Genesis regardless.

But unlike Jon's area, CL and FB are by far top dog around here. I don't know if I ever bought a grill off Letgo or Offerup and I know I haven't sold any there but I haven't listed many either. It just isn't popular around here. It could be the area (midwest) or it could and more likely is simply that the closest big city to me is 50 miles away and only about 200,000 population. Other than that, it is more than double that to any other big city. It is a population density thing, I think.

I found the FB marketplace about the same as OfferUp and letgo when it comes to communication. Similar set-up, hit the ask button and message is sent.

My problem is I have accidentally hit the ask button on touch screens while scrolling through ads and didn't mean to send a message to the seller.

The next keeper Grill I get I would like to be something like that. And enclosed cart to keep the dog out of the darn drip pan.

Yah, people are really great about hitting those canned response buttons with no real intention or interest in the listing. I think some are mistakes, others are just bored people with nothing better to do.

If the person responds back to me I will answer and let them know it was a mistake on my part. What bugs me is when I respond to a a listing and never get anything back from the seller. I'm guessing it's probably already sold and the person that listed it never bothered to remove the add. I would think constantly getting needless notifications would bother people. But I guess it doesn't. Perhaps they are lonely an getting "is this still available" makes them feel better.

I found the FB marketplace about the same as OfferUp and letgo when it comes to communication. Similar set-up, hit the ask button and message is sent.

My problem is I have accidentally hit the ask button on touch screens while scrolling through ads and didn't mean to send a message to the seller.

Jason,
It seems like it should work the same, but my admittedly still limited experience with Facebook sellers is that they are harder to connect with. I have had OfferUp sellers do the same, but more of them seem actually interested in selling!

One funny thing I have experienced is being censored by Letgo. They must have a computer read your write-up. If there is something they don’t like they cancel your listing without telling you specifically why other than you included something prohibited or otherwise offensive. I never thought of myself as being someone who needed my language monitored, but references to “chinajunk” and even just “junk” got me in trouble:eek: on their site. They seem to want short, simple descriptions rather than the flowery prose I sometimes get carried away with.;)

Is it letgo the one that you submit a photo and it determines what the product is and gives it a title? I love that! Especially when someone lists a tool box with photo and it calls it a "grill". hahaha. And the problem is that Letgo makes it difficult to figure out how to change the title. Or is that OfferUp?

In my area it seems to be the bling factor. I posted three grills to sell since yesterday. One Genesis 1000 all in black, one Silver C with a brand new black lid and one frankengrill. An old silver B frame with a SS lid where cut out the rusted inner liner and where I added the tables with the SS inserts from Genesis Platinum. I got several requests about the Frankengrill. Sold it at the price asked. And so far no one has contacted me about the other ones. SS really sells here. Other colors don’t. Whenever I had a grill with SS for sale in the past people wanted it. If it had a cabinet even better. But open cart grills with black or even colored hoods? Naw ....
I think I have to change the types of grill I want to sell. Scrap quality and go for bling.

Last edited:
Got a Weber 1000 model 210000 on January 5. Box and lid very good shape, one side the bottom frame needs work. I think the thread rod trick will work, done that once works great.
Only thing is needs new burners and regulator. These parts do not swap with Silver B. Wish it did.
I would have to likely get new burners and regulator. I like the wood panels shelf. But not sure if I want to put the time and money in it. Paid $15 maybe ill put it for sale here for what i paid. Will see.

Last edited:

Back