Random thoughts/Off topic/Last post wins

Just got a flood warning from the weather radio as the brunt of the storm pummels the piedmont of both Carolinas. I look for record flooding in the Broad, Catawba, and Yadkin River basins.

Tropical rain is deceiving. I thought we would see sheets of rain in torrential downfalls, but that is not the case - yet. Tropical rain comes down in tiny droplets, and it even fools Doppler radar making the rainfall look less dense than it really is.

We still have power, but some of our friends do not.

Last edited:
Tropical rain comes down in tiny droplets, and it even fools Doppler radar making the rainfall look less dense than it really is.
Funny that you say that because when the remains of Gordon got here a week ago I told my wife the rain was strange, tiny drops but whole bunch of them.

Funny that you say that because when the remains of Gordon got here a week ago I told my wife the rain was strange, tiny drops but whole bunch of them.

I wonder why tropical rain is like that?

We have a vintage car with low mileage, and I went out of my way to tape the edges of the sun roof in case of torrential downpours. That area doesn't leak, per say, but while traveling in western Tennessee one night, it rained so hard that water began to drip inside a bit. I guess the sunroof's drainage system couldn't keep up.

Last edited:
We got about 10"+ just north of Salisbury. The bulk of it between noon and 20:00 Sunday evening. I've lived in my house for over 20 years, and I saw flooding yesterday in places I've never seen it before! I was in Salisbury pretty much all day at a friend's house getting his generator running and then creating much needed room in his fridge (drinking all his beer) just in case they lost power! By about 23:00, the rain had all but stopped! Hope everyone else fared as well as we did, never lost power, and were able to get out and function as normal pretty much all weekend.
I know there are MANY that lost much, so for those I am still praying.
Tim
Tim

I wonder why tropical rain is like that?

We have a vintage car with low mileage, and I went out of my way to tape the edges of the sun roof in case of torrential downpours. That area doesn't leak, per say, but while traveling in western Tennessee one night, it rained so hard that water began to drip inside a bit. I guess the sunroof's drainage system couldn't keep up.

Rusty, my SLK (2012 so not vintage) has drain holes as well. People who keep theirs outdoors (mine is garaged) have to regularly clean out leaves, etc that clog up the holes (primarily engine compartment and trunk) as the rain rails direct the water to those holes.

Not knowing the make of yours, maybe drain holes are plugged (if your car HAS drain holes/tubing).Some with just rails direct the water towards the back/down the side rear of the car.

Maybe worth a look to see the actual function.

We got about 10"+ just north of Salisbury. The bulk of it between noon and 20:00 Sunday evening. I've lived in my house for over 20 years, and I saw flooding yesterday in places I've never seen it before! I was in Salisbury pretty much all day at a friend's house getting his generator running and then creating much needed room in his fridge (drinking all his beer) just in case they lost power! By about 23:00, the rain had all but stopped! Hope everyone else fared as well as we did, never lost power, and were able to get out and function as normal pretty much all weekend.
I know there are MANY that lost much, so for those I am still praying.
Tim
Tim

I believe we dodged a bullet west of the Catawba River. Local rivers are not cresting as high as we thought they would.

East of the Catawba, including your area, got much more rain than we did. The sandhills region to the coast took the brunt of the flooding however. The Yadkin / Pee Dee and its tributaries have very high water levels.

I saw video of high water gushing over the dam at Hope Mills (near Fayetteville). That same dam was breached a few years ago by a previous storm. We have relatives in tiny Parkton, (just a few miles from Hope Mills), and they said the Dollar General store was looted. That area is right in the middle of farm land, so it was shocking to hear of that incident.

UPDATE: I'm watching the news, and rescue personnel are finding bodies in flooded vehicles, including the body of an infant.

The Pee Dee River at Cheraw, SC is running at 2,700% of normal....

ches1_hg.png

We live in NW Charlotte. We only got about 5" of rain. The SE part of the county got almost 10", and where my mom lives, Anson county, got close to 12"

Just read where Sanderson Farms lost 1.5 million chickens due to drowning!

They died trapped in their barns.

Looks like they would have opened the doors and let them out before the storm hit. Animals usually come home to roost anyway.

The farmers can't claim it on insurance if they let the chickens go. I know it sounds harsh, but make no mistake, those aren't pets, they're a mans lively hood' and in this instance they were probably worth more dead than hoping they might survive and come back. Also, those aren't free range chickens. The only life they know is inside that building...
Tim

We just came back from Safeway, we bought two Sanderson farms whole chickens at $.99 a pound. Bet that price will be going up soon. Think I'll go back and get a couple more.

We just came back from Safeway, we bought two Sanderson farms whole chickens at $.99 a pound. Bet that price will be going up soon. Think I'll go back and get a couple more.

I don't expect the price of chicken to be effected much if any by this. I don't remember the numbers, but the chickens lost are a drop in the bucket compared to the chicken production. It may have a small effect for a short time, or perhaps a regional effect, but if it does I don't think it will last long.

Also lost to flooding was a large amount of turkeys, and quite a few hogs.

I can't remember the exact numbers, but they are worse than Hurricane Matthew's destruction.

EDIT: Rescuers found a loose pig in a remote area during Hurricane Floyd, and they named the pig, Pink Floyd. :p

Last edited:
The farmers can't claim it on insurance if they let the chickens go. I know it sounds harsh, but make no mistake, those aren't pets, they're a mans lively hood' and in this instance they were probably worth more dead than hoping they might survive and come back. Also, those aren't free range chickens. The only life they know is inside that building...
Tim

Is it true that chickens are ready for market in 30 days?

If so, it shouldn't take long to replenish what was lost.

I saw some for 67 cents a pound today at a discount grocery store, but they looked rather scrawny.

Ever since Sanderson opened a new processing facility down east, the brand if showing up all over the place.

Heck, we butchered a whole fryer, marinated it in whole buttermilk all day, and smoked it on the 18" WSM today. Sure was good! The buttermilk tenderized the breast meat a bit. Forgot to mention we cooked it kettle-style with flour.

Last edited:

Back