Beer.

I'd assume it's dry hopped. This clone calls for a dry hop: https://www.boomchugalug.com/downloadables/recipes/snowy.pdf

see "secondary fermentation"

huh , well that's surprising ........... I've always assumed it was not dry hopped just judging by the body of the beer, its not light and crisp like I expect of a dry hopped beer. And its a classic that was brewed in the early days of craft beer, before dry hopping became as popular as it is today.

But that would explain the IBU's at 36, while the beer still retains a lot of hop flavor and aroma. The Sierra Nevada site does not specifically say if its dry hopped, just that its bottle conditioned, which would probably imply that maybe it is dry hopped. And they have a home brew recipe that says hops are added at the end of the boil ........

https://www.sierranevada.com/beer/year-round/pale-ale

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I have at least 2 clone recipes (from Brew Your Own) and 1 that is supposed to be directly from SN and it is not dry hopped.

Even the recipe I use dry hops it, but since I'm not a hop head I don't. I think it tastes just fine without it.

Interesting from the Sierra Nevada site, in their FAQ, they say SNPA has a shelf life of 150 days under optimum conditions, that being cool, dark, and wet ( whatever wet means ) . That's not very long. The reason to be really picky when buying hoppy beers.

Lot of people don't like the bitterness of hoppy beers, I get that. But I also think some are getting hold of some hoppy beers that've been on the shelf too long.

I think of coffee and tea of being bitter, so I wonder why so many instantly reject a beer because its bitter. When I was a cig smoker in my younger days, I enjoyed a cig with the bitterness of coffee and unsweetened tea. Cause me to switch from the sweet tea I was raised on, to unsweetened, cuz I like the taste of a smoke with the bitterness.

Buying beer in Oklahoma right now, is a mess.

After a two year waiting period allowing all involved to adjust, next Monday, October 1, we will no longer have 3.2 beer, liquor stores will be able to sell refrigerated beer and wine, and convenience and grocery stores will be able to sell cold strong beer and wine.

All the coolers in the grocery/conv stores are empty. All the 3.2 beer has been sent back to the distributor.

Went to my fav package store today, and they were building a refrigerated beer cave. There was hardly any inventory of beer, maybe half what they usually stock. I was frightened and confused :confused:

Not only are we making the above changes, but they've changed how beer and liquor are distributed. Which I never knew much about that part of the business and I know even less now. Right now, there's plenty of some brands and not any of other brands.

Its a huge change and sort've an historic time. One local brewer has even brewed a beer , named 424 , for Senate Bill 424 that started all this change three years ago. Another is offering commemorative pint glasses.

Its a big deal. It wasn't easy to pull off. The reasons we kept 3.2 beer so long, were never as much for " moral " reasons, as much as there were many politically entrenched people with financial interests in maintaining the status quo. Some oxes got gored but it created a huge opportunity for others. Our legislature just had to make a strong statement that the government was not there to protect people's business models. But it took a strong grass roots movement to make it happen, many many average guys like me making many phone calls to legislators and sending email.

Lynn, we're trying to go through a change in how smaller brewers are treated here in NC.
The largest local brewer, Olde Meck Brewery, wants to open a tap room in the northern part of the county.
But, to do so, they would go over the "limit" that would allow them to distribute their own beer, and would have to pay another distributor to haul their own brew around to stores and restaurants.
They are trying to change the law to allow them to still brew and ship their own beers.

To totally change the subject, I bought a Kolsch style local ale and was excited to have it!
Much to my dismay, after I got home, it was a watermelon Kolsch. :(
Not a big fan of fruity beers.
But, I don't hate it!
I won't buy it again, but, I don't hate it! :p

I was thinking the distributors and/or sports bars might have had something to do with it.

That too

Or both. Maybe the sports bars/distributors did grease the right palms.

Either way, it surely has something to do with eliminating competition for somebody.

Lynn, we're trying to go through a change in how smaller brewers are treated here in NC.
The largest local brewer, Olde Meck Brewery, wants to open a tap room in the northern part of the county.
But, to do so, they would go over the "limit" that would allow them to distribute their own beer, and would have to pay another distributor to haul their own brew around to stores and restaurants.
They are trying to change the law to allow them to still brew and ship their own beers.

To totally change the subject, I bought a Kolsch style local ale and was excited to have it!
Much to my dismay, after I got home, it was a watermelon Kolsch. :(
Not a big fan of fruity beers.
But, I don't hate it!
I won't buy it again, but, I don't hate it! :p

Phil,

A buddy I went to college with started this brewery in Gastonia, NC.
https://www.cavendishbrewing.com/

I haven't talked to him years, though. You might check it out

Went to the grocery store to get some potato salad, and had trouble finding a parking space. I wondered what was goin on, then I walked out and there were the Budweiser Clydesdales. That doesn't happen every day

YnPLvHq.jpg

But I don't drink Bud, I got home and opened this up, a Flanders Red Ale from Belgium, very tart, could be a sour. Really a nice beer.

z1C6Twx.jpg

Our Son did a road-trip to the Motherland of beer, no cheese curds or brats ( this time) but he brought back plenty of this.:cool:

Tim

Back