Dutch Baby

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
Lazy me usually does these inside in a skillet in the oven, even though they taste much better when cooked outside in a Dutch oven.

Blended 3/4 cup H&H (you can use milk), 3 eggs, 3/4 cup flour, 3/4 tsp sugar, 1 tsp Mex vanilla, 3/4 tsp salt, 3/8 tsp baking powder and 1/8 tsp cinnamon for several minutes.

dZd7jAI.jpg

Preheated the Dutch oven to 375 - 400*.

s6lCKYV.jpg

Melted 1/4 stick of unsalted butter.

af0Pcdu.jpg

Added the batter.

KGFlja4.jpg

Put the lid on and let it cook.

Fried some homemade maple/cinnamon bacon (there's an upside down vortex filled with lit briquettes under the skillet).

i6uQCOA.jpg

zD1LcPL.jpg

Rotated the oven 180* over the coals at the 10 minute mark and the lid minus 180* (got some serious rise going on, too).

nrHe5J6.jpg

20 minutes and lid off.

9anvh4M.jpg

Dutch baby collapsed several minutes later (normal) and sprinkled with confectioners sugar.

4VP7sE1.jpg

Some butter, maple syrup, berries.... Time To Eat!!!

4QX0nN1.jpg

fwiw - make sure the baking powder is fresh or the batter won't rise.

That looks great Robert, and one of those things that I have had issue after issue with. I am glad to see it can actually work as compared to a clumpy mess that I have managed to create.

That looks great Robert, and one of those things that I have had issue after issue with. I am glad to see it can actually work as compared to a clumpy mess that I have managed to create.

Thanks, Jeremy. Did you use fresh baking powder? Altitude may also be an issue. I'm at 950 ft above sea level.

Great recipe. I will try this for weekend

Thanks, Arthur.

I posted the "full" recipe here: https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?74752-Dutch-Baby
The one I cooked was a "3/4".

Last edited:
That looks wonderful Robert, at 5300 feet it's a no go for me, although I just might try it just to see what happens.

Robert, pass that plate this way. That looks awesome, going to give it a try even if we are at 5300 feet.

Thanks for the PM Robert. We are about 1000ft higher but that shouldn't make that much difference. Barb and I are going to give it a try, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Looks great!

One of our go to camp (and home) breakfasts! Next we are going to master the Ebelskiver, CI Ebelskiver pan is on the way!

Thanks for the PM Robert. We are about 1000ft higher but that shouldn't make that much difference. Barb and I are going to give it a try, I'll let you know how it turns out.

We've made them at close to 8,000 and had no problem.

Case, post your experiments with the ebelskiver pan! My dad bought and gave away probably five of them over the years! It will be nice to see how you get the hang of it, I never tried!
Off topic, your camper conversion looks great! Spam and eggs on a Coleman stove on a cool morning is one of my fondest memories of my father!

We love Dutch babies, but that one kicks it up several notches!
I think that I may have to invest in a CI Dutch oven just for those!

That looks great. I need to give this a try on the weekend. It would be fun to make that camping with the family.

Back