Royal Oak Charcoal on sale again at Lowe's

I've never used royal oak. Kbb & stubs are my goto's. How is it?

It has a nice aroma and doesn't burn as hot as KBB, so I prefer it for smoking in the WSM. I wouldn't use it for any recipe that calls for high heat grilling, though.

The best thing about it IMO is that it doesn't put out the white fog on start up the way that KBB does.

It is good stuff for low and slow cooking/smoking.

It has a nice aroma and doesn't burn as hot as KBB, so I prefer it for smoking in the WSM. I wouldn't use it for any recipe that calls for high heat grilling, though.

The best thing about it IMO is that it doesn't put out the white fog on start up the way that KBB does.

It is good stuff for low and slow cooking/smoking.

Agreed.

I like to use it to line the bottom of my 18.5" WSM before filling the ring with Royal Oak lump. The small briquettes prevent smaller lump pieces from falling through the grate.

Hey guys new to the forum. I am a big BBq guy and recently just snagged a WSM 18". I stock up on charcoal every year at the depot for the twin bag deal but this year i was in a pinch so grabbed some of these royal oak bags. So far not impressed wasn't able to keep a snake going in my weber? Am I missing anything? Never have a problem with kingsford.

Last edited:
the stuff on sale is in a new bag and says hardwood charcoal. I have used royal oak for like forever and have never had call to question it. as to the snake way, I have never tried it nor do I see a need for it. just me. if you want to do that system then maybe alter it a bit and see if that works. just because it fails once in what you are trying to do does not automatically condemn the charcoal. experiment till you find what works for you.

the stuff on sale is in a new bag and says hardwood charcoal. I have used royal oak for like forever and have never had call to question it. as to the snake way, I have never tried it nor do I see a need for it. just me. if you want to do that system then maybe alter it a bit and see if that works. just because it fails once in what you are trying to do does not automatically condemn the charcoal. experiment till you find what works for you.

I plan to try it again for sure! I have 4 bags of the stuff!

Well I tried the stuff again last night with no luck. Filled a chimney starter lit and let it go for 1/2 hour spread the coal on two sides and could barley hit 350 in my 22"weber kettle.

Well I tried the stuff again last night with no luck. Filled a chimney starter lit and let it go for 1/2 hour spread the coal on two sides and could barley hit 350 in my 22"weber kettle.

The 22" kettle is a cavernous grill (in my opinion). Does the same amount of Kingsford make for good grilling temps in this size grill?

Last edited:
The 22" kettle is a cavernous grill (in my opinion), does the same amount of Kingsford make for good grilling temps in this size grill.

Yes- this royal oak stuff seems to almost smolder. Im wondering if I have some old stuff that has possibly wicked up some moisture?

Some love the RO regular, I do not like it at all.
Maybe they have a quality control issue, or maybe it's different from different plants where it's made.
I think member Rich Dahl tried a snake with it, and it didn't work.
The new Royal Oak All Natural is pretty good though, IMO.

Maybe you wait to long. I never wait that long. And on my kettle I can grill or smoke at temps like that for hours. Why the need for such high temps ?

Maybe you wait to long. I never wait that long. And on my kettle I can grill or smoke at temps like that for hours. Why the need for such high temps ?

I was doing up a grill full of chicken. So I wasnt looking for low and slow just indirect cooking. Like I said tried the snake method with this stuff and it just didnt work. Im guessing bad batch. I may mix it with some kingsford for my first smoke in WSM this weekend!

Forgot to welcome you to the forum, Jim. :)

Thanks I really like this forum. Lots of good info. Just picked up a 2005 18" WSM that has spent most of its life in the corner of someones garage. Cant wait to try it out. Will definitely share my experience here.

I’ve used KBB on my 22 for decades, never had a problem that I was not the source. Rusty, what makes you say the 22 Kettle is cavernous? I find it terribly easy to manage and not a miserable consumer of fuel in the least. I know people that use far more fuel than necessary but, that’s not the kettles fault.
Welcome Jim, enjoy the ride!

I’ve used KBB on my 22 for decades, never had a problem that I was not the source. Rusty, what makes you say the 22 Kettle is cavernous? I find it terribly easy to manage and not a miserable consumer of fuel in the least. I know people that use far more fuel than necessary but, that’s not the kettles fault.
Welcome Jim, enjoy the ride!

The first few times I used a 22" kettle, I had to keep adding briquettes in order to get decent grilling heat, and I had pile it up at that (using regular Kingsford). That was a shocker for me, so I downgraded to the 18" model instead.

Maybe a grill that big works better with a set of charcoal baskets. I'm not knocking the 22" kettle, mind you, but it was quite a shock from someone used to grilling with a Brinkman Smoke-N-Grill. The charcoal economy of the 22" kettle, at the time, was not worth it to me.

I can see your point, I suppose. I’ve found my 22 quite reasonable in its consumption but, I do use baskets almost all the time. One chimney divided between them, I seem to use about half the amount, then I put fresh in the bottom of the chimney and the old on top, light and repeat cook after cook. It’s all in how you use it. I did an old style high heat butt smoke last Saturday, used one full chimney of fresh KBB had it finished and wrapped, added maybe a dozen to each side and had heat for sausages and hotdogs three hours later. The butt was excellent! All guests were delighted. One was a fairly serious grilling/smoking guy, we discussed texture and he said he didn’t see a big difference from this years single chimney and last years full bag in the WSM! I have to go clean the kettle before I get dinner working tonight come to think of it.

Back