One touch cleaning blades not really touching much

The ends of my one touch blades sit a good 1/2in from the bowl of my performer. I guess I am going to have to buy some new ones or bend them back. is there anyway to prevent this from happening?

Probably the only way to prevent it is to clean the bowl a lot. I honestly let the ash and grease build up and lose my seal a little bit. That concrete like crud that forms down there makes the cleaners sit high. I might have to swap mine out like Timothy says after hitting it with a paint scraper or something.

I’m still using the factory blades, and this has been in use for probably twenty years but, I sweep pretty often and use “crud collectors” too. There have been times when I’ve had a fair collection of concrete though, nylon scraper or my wooden one knocks the brick off well enough enough to allow the mess to fall into the bottom. Had to replace the ones at sister in laws cottage. It does,not get the use the one here does. I tuned it up last year and didn’t think to get a set so, she installed the replacements in half an hour.

I sweep mine before every cook but rarely use BBQ sauces so they stay in good shape,least ways since 2011 ,hope to have many more years of use before parts are needed

I use a plastic putty knife that I think is 2.5" wide and--while I'm complacent about other activities--for some reason I do a quick scrape of my bowls after every use. This could be due to the fact that I roll them into our unfinished basement after use. My Kettles don't look squeaky clean (by no means) but I have just a very thin layer of buildup at any given time. For some reason, my lids don't flake and, so, I never touch them. I'm no mechanical theory expert but on the curved blade linked above wouldn't that result in only a portion of it coming in contact with the bowl at any given time?

I use a plastic putty knife that I think is 2.5" wide and--while I'm complacent about other activities--for some reason I do a quick scrape of my bowls after every use. This could be due to the fact that I roll them into our unfinished basement after use. My Kettles don't look squeaky clean (by no means) but I have just a very thin layer of buildup at any given time. For some reason, my lids don't flake and, so, I never touch them. I'm no mechanical theory expert but on the curved blade linked above wouldn't that result in only a portion of it coming in contact with the bowl at any given time?

Probably so, but it would cover more area than a squared off scraper.

I was cleaning creosote from the lid of my 18 WSM, and it was really tough to get off using a grill brush with a scaper on the other side. I was thinking one curved , especially if I were lucky enough to have one the shape of the WSM lid, would work better.

And my Kettle is due for the creosote to be cleaned out from under the lid. Right tool would make that job much easier.

I don't have any crud build up because I grill at a high temp. I also let the coals burn out with the lid off every now and then so that helps keep the bowl clean.

I don't have any crud build up because I grill at a high temp. I also let the coals burn out with the lid off every now and then so that helps keep the bowl clean.

I do the same with my Kettle. I also put down foil when I use the Vortex. But its the creosote under the lid that's really hard to deal with. Same with my 18 WSM. I bought this drywall bucket scoop from Lowes yesterday, for $5.50. I've tried it a little bit, I think it work well. I can already tell , however, that the flexible blade of the plastic one I posted above, might work better.

035965282451.jpg

I made one out of quarter sawn oak, it’s so nice to have a buddy that’s a cabinetmaker! His scrap box is HUGE! I’ve made my cypress table for the replacement on the performer, my patio bar, next project is a cooler cabinet...

Back