Ya think he may read this group?

Larry, I have lots of HF tools. I have three of their angle grinders that I use on my grills. I get them when they are on sale for $9.99. Lots and lots of other tools from there as well. Some of their stuff is pure junk. Some of it is decent, but what makes it good is the price. Those $9.99 angle grinders are not anything special, but I can have two ready to go. When one gets a little hot, I pick up the other one and keep alternating. I do have one of the upper models as well. I think I paid about $$25 on sale for it. It is more powerful and you can feel the extra quality and probably worth the 2.5x price of the others. But, it doesn't cost $149 like a Dewalt either. I love their free coupons. I have about 5 of their 25' tape measures, two or three multimeters, multi screwdrivers, magnetic parts trays, tarps, etc.....
I have a bed extender for my canoe, a polisher, screw drivers, three different sized torque wrenches, a 3 ton jack and a whole host of other stuff from them. Yah, I love HF. I hit it up almost every time I get down to Madison.

Oh, yah, and I am like you Larry. I clean out the cook box every so often and I clean and oil the cooking grates after every cook, but I can't say I have really even wiped down the hood or trays or anything else since I rehabbed it last spring. I intend to do that once it gets nice out...probably in July.

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of harbor freight tools either. At least their power tools. I've had several just quit on me. That being said if you need a tool for limited use they are probably the way to go given their loss prices.

I think Harbor Freight is a fun place to pick through. I am no expert, but it seems like not all their power tools are junk. Probably some made in the same factories as the name brands. I have a cheap angle grinder and a few other tools. Perfect for casual use (mostly grill renovations). A pro that uses the tool every day could probably justify a high end one, but for me it is all I need.

The grill being a "tool" has more to do with the Skyline logo does nothing for me and I would not go outta my way to grab it or pay more for it. But no I don't want a dented lid, chipped and rusting porcelain, etc. I still want something that looks decent (though I must admit I don't have the time or inclination to keep my grills detailed like some here do).

Last comment on this: I can definitely see why some would find the Skyline graphic odd, maybe even a little goofy, and not particularly want it. For me, I like that it is uniquely Weber/Sears, the connection with my short-term home of Chicago, and that it dresses up a black hood. The black hoods (and kettles) get short shrift; I guess because they are so common. Still my favorite grill color, so I like that there is one special black hood. (By the way, I have noticed that RecTec Grills have always pushed their red hoods, but their new high-end pellet grill has a BLACK hood:cool:!

If I had a choice of Genesis grills in identical condition, I would pay the most for a Skyline. A redhead or maybe a crimson/plumb would also be a choice I would pay some extra for.

I'm not a big fan of harbor freight tools either. At least their power tools. I've had several just quit on me. That being said if you need a tool for limited use they are probably the way to go given their loss prices.

Their power tools are definitely not top notch (I have a nearly brand new pancake compressor attesting to that), but I have one of the $9.99 angle grinders. Darn good little tool. Last summer I used the dickens outta the thing. I bought one of their compound sliding miter saws last summer for less than the cost of renting one and DEFINITELY le$$ than buying say a DeWalt or what have you. My buddy who did the yeoman's work of building my deck with me last summer declared it and outstanding tool especially when price was taken into account ($75). Their hand tools really are extremely good. Some seem to be nearly as good as my collection of Snap On and Matco tools from back in the days when I had to twist those same tools to make a living. Their top line screw drivers are every bit as good as anything I have ever used (including my extensive collection of Craftsmen and Snap On ones I own. I needed a while back metric line wrenches and found them as well made as the high end ones (SAE) that I own. Honestly I go in that store and kinda shake my head at how good the stuff is getting (and you know how much I hate Chinese imports). I know some people on the forum here don't think I give them fair shrift like in the case of Weber now. But it has more to do with Weber itself not with imported stuff. Reasons I will not go into a diatribe here about. :D
I have to tip my hat to them (HF) really

LOL, yah, HF is the Charbroil of tool.

Most of the wrenches and sockets and other hand tools are "Pittsburgh" brand. Are they the ones that you are talking about?

Yes, that's what I am discussing. Bottom line if you shop right there you can find some darn good value stuff. Much of it even beats the name brand stuff in terms of usability and durability

LOL, yah, HF is the Charbroil of tool.

Most of the wrenches and sockets and other hand tools are "Pittsburgh" brand. Are they the ones that you are talking about?

Good analogy. But I'm not totally dissing them. I agree with Larry that their hand (non power) tools are good. HF has its place.

Regarding the original Craigslist ad, I appreciate that the poster shared multiple, quality pics and provided comprehensive detail. I am somewhat interested in finding a 3-burner e-w grill that I can put to use without any rehab effort. Mostly, I am finding ads with one pic. Sometimes three, poor quality images. He or she deserves a premium just for the quality of the post.

BFletcher: Too bad you don't live near one of us who rehab them. We could put you into a real nice, completely rehabbed Genesis 1000 or Silver B for a price that I think you would be happy to pay.

Oh so a new film. I honestly have not been in a movie theater in over 10 years. Last time I got disgusted having to deal with the jerks who talk, stand up in front of you, smell bad what have you. No longer enjoyable to me so I just stay out. If it ain't on tv I ain't watching it

Larry. I go to the drive in theater in the Dell's for that same reason, along with cost. I probably only have been to one or two indoor theaters in 10 years.

Back