Should my stainless grill / flavorizer bars look like this after 1.5 years?

I always leave my grill on full for 15 minutes after cooking and then go out and scrape the charred crud off the grates. Then, I let it sit for 15 or more minutes and go out and spray the grates with cooking oil spray. Then, it is clean and ready to go the next time I cook and I don't have to worry about the acids in the stuck on food causing the grates to corrode. Of course, that isn't so much an issue with Stainless.

I always leave my grill on full for 15 minutes after cooking and then go out and scrape the charred crud off the grates. Then, I let it sit for 15 or more minutes and go out and spray the grates with cooking oil spray. Then, it is clean and ready to go the next time I cook and I don't have to worry about the acids in the stuck on food causing the grates to corrode. Of course, that isn't so much an issue with Stainless.

That's pretty much what I do but I don't use any cooking oil. I don't put anything on mine.

I have read that the best practice is to leave the grill dirty and clean it right before your next cook. It goes against my grain to leave the grill dirty though. I can't do it.

I used to have a Weber cover but water seemed to go through(mine is not protected by deck). I gave it to my dad when I gifted him a e/w S310 since he has covered patio.

This cover was way better. How's the lower cabinet? Any rust there?

Your new grates are better for more reasons than material. Thicker and smaller gaps between grates.

Classic Accessories Ravenna Grill Cover - Premium BBQ Cover with Reinforced Fade-Resistant Fabric, Medium, 58-Inch https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00D2VUN0Q/tvwb-20

The lower cabinet and everything on the exterior is in excellent condition. We clean the exterior regularly with Barkeeper's Friend.

The Weber brand cover actually does a good job with no water infiltration.

I'm about to go test the new grates and make some steaks. It's now -2 degrees F here in MN but we can't let that stop us from grilling!

The lower cabinet and everything on the exterior is in excellent condition. We clean the exterior regularly with Barkeeper's Friend.

The Weber brand cover actually does a good job with no water infiltration.

I'm about to go test the new grates and make some steaks. It's now -2 degrees F here in MN but we can't let that stop us from grilling!

Grill on! Crazy weather!

Grill on! Crazy weather!

Absolutely!!! Sort of like the barbecue festival I cooked in here in Florida in July...90+ even at night as we started cooking, and we were on asphalt surrounded by a slew of hot grills. During the next day at festival time it was so miserable we almost lost one guest who collapsed from heat prostration:mad:!

I guess choose your temperature poison:coolkettle:!

Genesis b

:redgenesis1:
The flavorizer bars and burners look fine. The heat deflectors look bad. Those were not SS as OEM but enameled steel. As for your question. That generation of grill is when Weber began with the "cheapening" process of most of the components made in China of cheap steel. I remember being sadly dismayed when I was putting the new grill together for my sister and BIL they bought a few years back. Every box and component showed "Made in China". I believe only the stampings were done in the USA. Even the grates showed "Made in China" In 2010 Weber ceased being a family owned company and was sold out to a "management firm" who has no skin in the game and no soul.
BTW you can get SS replacements for those heat deflectors, and better quality FBs from RCPlanebuyer and they don't cost as much as Weber replacements made from junk steel. So no you're not imagining it. Your 20 YO Weber was a better product than your new one

The Genesis B gas grill in my opinion is the best grill Weber has ever made.:redgenesis1:

:redgenesis1:

The Genesis B gas grill in my opinion is the best grill Weber has ever made.:redgenesis1:

Actually IMO the first generation of Genesis grills was the hands down best overall. Still are IMO btw. Even the Summit line never came close to the Genesis 1st generation in terms of overall quality and ruggedness/longevity

What was the first generation of Genesis? Was it the 1000-5000 series or was there a Genesis generation prior to that?

There was a genesis model prior to the 1000. I can't remember the model name? Maybe a genesis I? I think there was a genesis II as well. I do know my father got one of the very first genesis models and later got a 1000. He liked the 1000 better but I don’t remember why.

I have a genesis 1000 and a genesis A. I slightly prefer the 1000 but both are great.

The Genesis I, II, III etc was the first generation. FWIW the only difference between the I,II,III etc and the 1000, 2000, 3000 et al is the addition of casters so essentially the I, II, etc and 1xxx 2xxx etc are the same first generation grills.
Also at some point in the XXXX series grills the durawood shelves were added to replace the redwood

The Genesis II is the new Genesis line. According to Chris A, the first ones were Genesis 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

They were "marketed" and "branded" as I, II, III, IV, etc. back then. IIRC they came out in the late 80's when the gas kettle fiasco fell flat on it's face. Could be the new nomenclature is Weber's way of trying to make us forget how far they've regressed from those break through products close to 30 years ago

Yah, the should probably just retire the Genesis name altogether. But, I guess that is hard to do with the reputation behind it. While it isn't the same as it was 7 or 8 years ago, Weber Genesis is still the gold standard in most peoples minds for mainstream gas grills.

If I'm remembering correctly my father's early genesis wasn't as good looking a grill as his later 1000. I think I remember the hood on that early genesis didn’t have a porcelain coating? But I could be remembering that incorrectly. That's been a long time ago.

Just my opinion but I think the genesis II name fits the new grill. I think they have returned to their roots in many aspects as it looks like a really solid grill similar to the older models.

They were "marketed" and "branded" as I, II, III, IV, etc. back then.

Numbers, not Roman numerals. The exception was the Genesis XX and XXI, the predecessor of Genesis Jr. The use of "Genesis II" is new to the latest generation of Genesis.

bqlCprv.jpg

jJxccVR.jpg

Mine are shot also,will be looking to replace asap,may look local and see what I can find,2-4 uses a week for 2 or 3 years so I cant complain too bad,

I think most everyone here would agree that Dave Santana aka “rcplanebuyer” on eBay is your very best choice for REAL high quality stainless replacement parts. You might look on eBay to see some of what he does, but private message me and I will give you his email so that you can deal directly with him. That saves him eBay fees, and he can generally give you a better price. You won’t be disappointed in his workmanship and the durability of better than original parts.

Yeah EBay sucks down 10% of your sales price PLUS they now charge you 10% on the shipping costs your buyer pays then they have the audacity to charge you a commission on what YOU pay to buy shipping. Basically when I sell a mixer on FleaBay I have to pad the price buy about 15%! So like Dave if anyone here ever wants a mixer (only KitchenAid as I only deal with the best) PM me here and I'll work out a much better price.
I will give EBay one positive plug though. If you're a buyer they do come to your aid. Recently I purchased a large Pro Model 600 series machine. The seller noted it included the bowl, beater, whisk and dough hook. I made him a solid GOOD offer based on that information. Wouldn't you know? It comes without the whisk, hook or paddle. Contacted seller. Response: "oh I am so sorry I have been so busy I didn't realize here's $9.00 off" I'm like NFW those items would cost ME well over $50 to replace and I made the purchase based on them being present. "oh it's the best I can do". Quick contact to EBay and I had a return and full money back offer they ordered him to make. Bottom line he finally agreed to credit me back $30. IMO this was fair for the age of the items. They have also stepped in to help me when the stupid USPS lost items on me. But in the end 10%+ is a pretty hard hit to absorb

Back