Bacon made easy

I have an 8lb belly cut into thirds curing in the fridge right now. From reading this thread it seems the biggest problem some have are that it comes out too salty. I am planning on rinsing the pork belly very well and then soaking for 24 hrs after that. After the rinse and soak it will rest/dry 24 hrs in the fridge, uncovered.

The salty taste some get, if properly rinsed/soaked, puzzles me.
I rinse, rub under running water, and soak only for a few minutes changing the water a few times and it's not at all salty, and I'm not one who likes things salty.

The salty taste some get, if properly rinsed/soaked, puzzles me.
I rinse, rub under running water, and soak only for a few minutes changing the water a few times and it's not at all salty, and I'm not one who likes things salty.

I do about the same rinse well then three 15 minute soaks with a water change and it's fine and I'm not salt tolerant at all.

How long are you running it under the water? Are you rubbing the meat while you are holding it under the water?

I did three portions. One cinnamon & sugar, one pepper crusted, and one plain one with just cure & brown sugar

After curing for 7 days:

After smoking:

The smoker ran a little hotter than what I wanted. I think it ran around 175-180 and I was only able to smoke it for about 4 hrs before the internal temp reached 145. I think I know how to construct my charcoal snake next time to keep the temp down around the 130s - so, I'm looking forward to trying this again with a longer smoke time.

Finished product..this is the pepper crusted slab

Thanks everyone for the great thread!!

Last edited:
No problem on the saltiness. I just made sure to rinse and rub. I ended up not doing a soak afterwards. All is good!

Hi Bob! Ok, so I have read all 489 replies and Chris' article about the process. I have been curing my belly for almost a week. The plan is to rinse Saturday and air dry over night in the fridge. I'll smoke it on Sunday. I saw how you used the snake method in Chris' article. But, I didn't see what size your WSM is. I have an 18" WSM. So, I'm wondering whether I should use single coals lined up like in the article, or go with some other configuration of snake (two bottom coals, one top?) What do you think?

Thanks!!

Hi Dan,
I used my 18" WSM for that smoke, but I often use my 22" kettle for bacon.
Since you live in Florida, and it is summer, I'd go with one row.
That should get you in the 140 to 160 degree range.
I do suggest using Kingsford briquettes since they light well off each other.
If the temp starts getting above 165 you can always remove some of the lit coals.
Good luck!

Hi Dan,
I used my 18" WSM for that smoke, but I often use my 22" kettle for bacon.
Since you live in Florida, and it is summer, I'd go with one row.
That should get you in the 140 to 160 degree range.
I do suggest using Kingsford briquettes since they light well off each other.
If the temp starts getting above 165 you can always remove some of the lit coals.
Good luck!

Thanks for the quick reply, Bob!! Now, I'm curious about something else. Is there any advantage cooking-wise to using the kettle? I was planning on doing it on my WSM 18 to season it up. But, I also have a 22" kettle. Any advantage to the kettle? Do you run the probes through the top vent?

Dan,
Using a kettle is just easier for me to control everything, either one will do a fine job.
If I use my Maverick, on a kettle, the probe wires go gently under the lid's rim.

Dumb question: The cook is all done. I just need to slice it. Unfortunately, all my knives aren't the greatest. Has anyone tried slicing it with an electric carving knife? That might be my best option.

Dumb question: The cook is all done. I just need to slice it. Unfortunately, all my knives aren't the greatest. Has anyone tried slicing it with an electric carving knife? That might be my best option.
I think some folks use them.
Damn Dan, whack off a few pieces with your Swiss Army knife, and get to eating! :)
Please report your opinion too.

Last edited:
I think folks some use them.
Damn Dan, whack off a few pieces with your Swiss Army knife, and get to eating! :)
Please report your opinion too.

I found a 14" carving knife I didn't know I had. The first pound is gone. Full report in the phot gallery tomorrow. Spoiler: Sooo good!!!

Just want to say thank you to Bob Correll for turning me on to LEM Products for getting my Morton Tender Quick. I have been buying it from Amazon at almost $15.00 for two pounds and the fact I don't have a prime membership with Amazon another $6.00 for shipping for just over $20.00 delivered. Through LEM it was $5.95 for two pounds and $5.95 for shipping for a total of $11.94 quite a savings over Amazon.
The transaction with LEM Products was quick and easy and delivered in 5 days.

Just want to say thank you to Bob Correll for turning me on to LEM Products for getting my Morton Tender Quick. I have been buying it from Amazon at almost $15.00 for two pounds and the fact I don't have a prime membership with Amazon another $6.00 for shipping for just over $20.00 delivered. Through LEM it was $5.95 for two pounds and $5.95 for shipping for a total of $11.94 quite a savings over Amazon.
The transaction with LEM Products was quick and easy and delivered in 5 days.

I got mine at Walmart....

What is a sure fire way to know it’s cited. I saw a real dark red spots. I cut them. Also really hard spots on the fat. It’s been going firv10 days. Never got any real liquid in the pan. I used mtq. And used full pans. I am setting them out overnight in the fridge. Uncovered. Ready for smoke tomorrow.

What is a sure fire way to know it’s cited. I saw a real dark red spots. I cut them. Also really hard spots on the fat. It’s been going firv10 days. Never got any real liquid in the pan. I used mtq. And used full pans. I am setting them out overnight in the fridge. Uncovered. Ready for smoke tomorrow.
Not sure what you mean by "cited" I'm guessing you mean cured.
If you followed the "recipe" then it is fulled cured, especially after 10 days.
Not sure at all what you mean by "pans"

Back