So my first comp is in the books...

ZacMiller

TVWBB Member
So this year I wanted to try some BBQ comps so I started last fall practicing my butt off, online forms, and classes to some how get that edge to not bomb it. Well this Saturday was my first comp at a local brewery with actual teams there, its about an 1 hour from my house so I rounded up everything that I thought I might need (which basically looked like i was moving) and a couple of buddies that always are down to do stuff and we hit the road. I will say I was feeling pretty confident, I've worked on each protein several times since last November. I felt like I got my time line down, rubs right sauces where I wanted them. But today was the true test to what I've been working towards not what i think but the judges. I will say to any of you that have competed before hats off, there is so much more to it then when practice cooking at home. But after the dust settled we ended up with a 1st in Ribs,1st in Chicken 1st in Pork and 2nd in Anything goes... And the 2017 Spring Fling Meat Thing Grand Champion. and to be honest I was totally blown away I told my buddies if i happen to get turn in times right I would be happy. But if we got a call in anything id be blown away! Anyways here is some pics of my adventure...
Truck and Trailer loaded down
18422530_10158715717220054_5493084211500031139_o.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

All set up
[/URL

All over but the crying

18403521_10212638242971584_2290452494104609683_n.jpg
[/URL

Wow, what a rush you must have felt when you got the call for GC. You've achieved something most never do. Hard work, months of preparation and good friends working together make for a fantastic day. Congrats Zac and thanks for sharing.

Bill

Absolutely Excellent job Zac and Team !!!!
Congratulations !!!

Next question... (grin)... Hooked ?

(Love the WCO shirt...)

Thanks guys and Hooked Yes! I'm honestly still kinda in awe how the whole thing came out, there is a ton of things ill keep working on one being more efficient, doing dishes all the time sucked lol. But truly it was a great experience with a great atmosphere and great people. @Bob Bass the WCO hasn't let me down gotta love um

Thanks everyone really! I've been scouting a few small local comps no more then 25 teams, but not soon enough I'm ready to go at it again and see if I just got lucky lol ��

Zac... If I might... Stick with your plan. Don't change a thing. If you find that, after multiple competitions, you want to try something different, make only 1 small change at a time. See how it wrings out before make any additional changes.

Once your competition results are consistent and you feel you're ready, move up to a full blown competition. Many state bbq associations have rookie team of the year races. With them comes their own set of rules on what a team can and can not do.

This person is looking forward to following team Fullbore in their competition journey ! Wishing you BBQ Excellence in that journey.

Way to go Zak and team! I know that feeling. Me my wife and another couple years ago pulled off a first place in a chili cook off on our first ever attempt, just mind blowing.

Congrats. Just joined the forum. Not far from you in Dyersville. If you are looking for a ribs competition. Dyersville has one at commercial park June 24th. Dry and wet ribs turned in for $40 per entry. No garnish in boxes type of deal.

I'm curious after looking at your pictures if all the cords are for temp gauges for meat?

Just got a weber smoker this spring. Are the Cajun bandit upgrades worth doing? The door? Lid hinge? Looked like you had them added.

Congrats again. It looks like you know what you are doing. Especially the preparation shown in pictures.

Thanks everyone really! I've been scouting a few small local comps no more then 25 teams, but not soon enough I'm ready to go at it again and see if I just got lucky lol ��

First of all a big congratulations! Second, NO YOU DID NOT GET LUCKY! You said you practiced and worked hard so that is not luck. Bob Bass said it best "stick to your plan" and "don't change a thing". What I've learned so far is that BBQ is just like golf.......I know, but let me explain lol! Good golf is boring golf. It's the same thing over and over and over.......until it's flat out routine. It's the consistency that leads to details not missed and this will lead to wins. Hats off to you and best wishes for continued success.

On a side note I see you have a couple of WSM's and a drum smoker. If you don't mind my asking is there a designated smoker for a particular meat? The reason I ask is that I am deciding whether to add another WSM or a drum smoker instead.

First of all a big congratulations! Second, NO YOU DID NOT GET LUCKY! You said you practiced and worked hard so that is not luck. Bob Bass said it best "stick to your plan" and "don't change a thing". What I've learned so far is that BBQ is just like golf.......I know, but let me explain lol! Good golf is boring golf. It's the same thing over and over and over.......until it's flat out routine. It's the consistency that leads to details not missed and this will lead to wins. Hats off to you and best wishes for continued success.

On a side note I see you have a couple of WSM's and a drum smoker. If you don't mind my asking is there a designated smoker for a particular meat? The reason I ask is that I am deciding whether to add another WSM or a drum smoker instead.

yes I run all my other meats on the WSM's. I use the can stickily for chicken. I've been practicing the hot/fast method on the other meats on the can with what I consider great results but don't feel confident in competing with them yet. I think the can is awesome and use it quite often, if its in the budget id recommend picking one up

Bought a drum smoker last Thursday. Local culinary business has them brought in from a custom builder. 55 gal drum with internals and vertical stacks. Will season it this week.

Back