New from NorCal with a recent free gas grill in need of restoration

I ll likely know more here in about a month I am looking at putting one of my 13 bar boxes in a newer frame or vise verse

I'd be really interested to know this. I've not managed to get to the $39 grill, and a better condition one sold. I'm not stressed about it though. There is a nice Silver one now though, with side burner, but with the plastic tables. I will see if I can find a parts diagram to work out if it'll all swap over or not.

Regarding identifying grill years/models, I've seen some info, but really not a clear way to work out that sort of thing.

1). Does anyone know what year the Weber logo moved the picture of the kettle from the left to the right?
2). What about the year the plastic shelves were introduced?
3). Are all 2-burner genesis the same thing as a Genesis Junior, for which parts are hard to find etc? I've seen the odd one for sale, and they look pretty cool.
4) Regarding taking the valves apart and cleaning and applying grease to them, is there a DIY or youtube to help? I bought the suggested grease, and have seen some text explaining it all, but didn't do it, as my ones felt okay and I didn't want to make them worse.

Thanks all,

''Production of these grills stopped in 2005... There are three versions of the Weber Genesis Silver (Silver A, Silver B, Silver C) with styling changes occurring in 2002, 2004 and 2005. At the time of their production the Silver grills were on the lower end of pricing in the Weber Genesis line of grills. If you wanted to shell out some extra cash for a longer wheel base, nicer side tables then you could buy the Weber Genesis Gold grills. If you wanted a stainless housing and an enclosed storage cabinet then you could upgrade to the Weber Genesis Platinum grills.''

Thanks google. That's interesting, as my Platinum didn't have anything stainless about it. I'd actually thought the Silvers must be a premium line, and Gold the top.

''Genesis Silver A: Two burners
Genesis Silver B: Three burners
Genesis Silver C: Three burners plus a side burner.''

Again, I had this all wrong, I thought A's were older, and B's and C's were later years ...

''It is easy to identify Silver grills that were manufactured between 2000 and 2003 as they all have a dual purpose thermometer on the right side of the grill body.''

Wow, wish I'd found this site earlier. Makes decoding a used grill much easier. Just a quick look at the diagram in the 2001 Genesis Silver C, and I think I could swap over the firebox (and therefore lid) etc. My dura-wood side tables would swap over too. However, there are not the required holes for the pop up side table. They could of course be added. I could have this wrong though, there may be holes there not shown, or the old pop up table end cap may fit across, or some franken-grill may be possible.

Tempting to get this $85 Silver C over the $39 one is pretty rough condition, as the $85 one is good to go. My lack of commitment is probably because I should have gotten the $79 one which came with two bottles.

Well if you want this green one you better act quick it won't lay the day. And that's if I don't decide to try and make a play on it. That's a great buy only needing flavor bars

The only swap I have now t figured out is if one could easily put a 13 flavor bar box in a newer frame like this one

Well if you want this green one you better act quick it won't lay the day. And that's if I don't decide to try and make a play on it. That's a great buy only needing flavor bars

The only swap I have now t figured out is if one could easily put a 13 flavor bar box in a newer frame like this one

If you're able to get the $85 one, you totally should. I'm finding it really tough to get to any of these listings to collect something. If the $39 one is still there next week, I'll grab it. I don't have a pickup, and mostly have a car seat in the back of the car with a child in it, so very tough to fit a grill in. I think also, I'm better with the older 1000-5000 series that use the 13 flavorizor bars and pop up side tables.

Are you saying that the newer (Silver/Gold) post circa 2000 genesis with 5 flavorizor bars, have a fire box that will fit the 13 bars from the older genesis? I have not seen a Silver in the flesh.

I'm just unsure of how or if you can put a 13 bar box in a silver frame or vise verse

I have both just haven't torn into them yet

I'm just unsure of how or if you can put a 13 bar box in a silver frame or vise verse

I have both just haven't torn into them yet

Ahh, I see. I have read in another thread that the 13 bars cannot fit into a 5 bar box, but not if the actual boxes can be swapped, or if the lids can fit other fire boxes.

I doubt the frames will interchange as the manifold sits up differently in the 13 bar than the 5 bar

Yeah two of those platinums have popped up this week. I got make more room

I took some measurements and I think as mentioned above the manifold may be the issue on using the different depth boxes. However I am curious as to the compatibility of the manifolds maybe swapping them may get over the hump or maybe just swapping the mounting hardware

Spacing is different between valves so they will not interchange. The fire box of the newer models is smaller than the older ones

Yeah two of those platinums have popped up this week. I got make more room

I took some measurements and I think as mentioned above the manifold may be the issue on using the different depth boxes. However I am curious as to the compatibility of the manifolds maybe swapping them may get over the hump or maybe just swapping the mounting hardware

There seem to be a ton of Silvers around right now, including a nice C in Discovery Bay. That's a good 90 min drive for me, which is not possible right now. There was a killer deal on a $35 silver c with tank in Elk Grove, but it was gone by the time I had management approval to go get it.

On the mixing generations parts then, seems that:

New(er) fire box must stay with the newer manifold.
Still not sure if the new(er) fire box must stay with the newer frame.
Still not sure if the new(er) lid/ends can swap or not (maybe someone answered already and I missed it).
Need to check, but do the 5 longer flavorizor bars off an older 13 bar system fit the newer 5 bar boxes?

By chance I'll be driving past a Gen 1000 today, and have arranged to pop in and see it. It is not a great deal though, as for the same money, I've seen complete/working grills. Missing some bolts ($5 at Ace), but also thermometer ($15), 1 grate ($30? for cheapest), and doesn't come with a tank. So it'd end up being an $80 grill in rough condition, yet there are better condition grills for that money. If the frame is mint, then I will likely grab it, as it'll save a lot of time repairing my frame. Otherwise I'm holding out for a 2000 or a Silver/Gold C once I confirm more about swapping parts.

And yes, I realize that most others would have just gone and collected any number of the better deals I've seen come through CL, however the lack of a pickup and always having a car seat with child in the back of the wagon, makes it challenging. In two weeks I'll actually be down in Manteca, which is really near Discovery Bay, but I doubt this one will still be available then. As said before, my busted frame Platinum 1200 will last years, so I'm not inclined to hurry in replacing it.

Still not sure if the new(er) lid/ends can swap or not (maybe someone answered already and I missed it).
Need to check, but do the 5 longer flavorizor bars off an older 13 bar system fit the newer 5 bar boxes?

Found it, someone says that apparently the lid (and grates) fit between the generations. So a silver C could have a 1000 lid and grates put on it.

Well, couldn't resist, got another Genesis, this time a 1991. Might still end up with another if a 2000 or bigger comes up conveniently, but for now this one provides a solid frame, a red hood, and a smoke box. It ended up costing $30. It'll restore the whole thing to a higher standard this time, and move my RCPlaner grates/bars across, and then decide what to do with the green platinum.

I wanted to capture this, incase someone else finds this interesting. I went for a run recently when visiting family, and ran past the local waste transfer station. Next to where the cars line up, there were a few propane bottles sitting on a wall. I jogged in, and asked the guy on duty what the deal was. Apparently people left them there without asking, as the transfer station cannot accept them. He said I could take them.

Anyways, went back and got a 5 gallon bottle (from 1982). Last inspected a while ago, and it pretty used condition with the old style valve. I left the smaller 2 or 3 gallon one (as I don't have a place to exchange them). There had been others a week or two earlier.

Went to Walmart today, and for $14.23, I exchanged for a in-cert bottle full of gas. No questions asked.

I'll be back visiting there every month or so, and will keep it on my running route. I can use the $15 of gas that comes in the Walmart bottle, and then sell the in-date bottle on its own via CL or with a grill. This first one is for my father-in-law who wanted to buy a spare bottle.

I am planning on doing some work on my 'new' grill this weekend. I will be cleaning and painting the red frame, and then rebuilding with the best parts from the green grill. Following this, I have two options:

1) Sell the green grill with all the worst of the parts (so working grill, but rougher). This would be with the frame which is has the left member rusted out. Two similar Green lidded Platinum's were listed at $100 on CL, and didn't sell all that fast. So I would expect $40-50 for it.
2) Part it out. I do not see many people doing this, but surely some parts would sell okay?
a) Green lid (someone earlier in this thread was interested. Still interested? I could switch to the red lid this weekend and be ready to part with it)
b) Manifold/regulator/valves etc?
c) used grate, rusted (but no holes) flavorizor bars, smoker box?
d) fire box?

Option 2 would leave me a frame to repaint and top with wood to have next to the grill, as others have done.

So the big question is really, could I get more than $50 for parting out the green platinum on eBay?

Thanks

If you have the 'durawood' bottom shelf on the green 1200, im interested.

I'm planning on keeping the dura-wood, for simple ease of cleaning, but will be swapping the z-brackets over from the other grill, as they're in better condition.

Main parts for sale would be the manifold/valves, which could be useful for someone wanting a quick conversion from Natural Gas to propane, and then the lid etc.

Thanks

Question 1: Will a manifold/valve assembly off a Genesis 1000 fit a Genesis Gold (both are 3 burner?). A friend with a NG grill just moved and no longer has a hookup for his NG grill, so thinking he could swap in the LP manifold/valves/hose etc off my parts grill.

The red one is getting better and better. Confirmed that the ignitor works and it runs good. Confirmed the PCI grate is in top shape too. Started stripping and scraping. Will see if I can get more done tomorrow. It's going to be 109F tomorrow though, so it's not seeming that promising.

Back