Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I found this recipe right here.
Although the recipe suggests using a 375º oven, I used my 26" Weber kettle, cooking indirect with a drip pan under the BWWC.
And, instead of pouring the sauce all over them, I dipped each one in the sauce then back on the grill semi-direct.
Careful, lots of flare ups. I kept spinnin' the grate around to avoid a disaster

Here it is:
One of my favorite appetizers is bacon wrapped water chestnuts. There is something about bacon and the crunchiness of water chestnuts – that when they come together is like a “party in your mouth”. Some may call this popular appetizer “trashy”, but who cares? It may not be the most gourmet appetizer on the table but I can guarantee you it will be one of the first appetizers to disappear. Trashy - Smashy – It’s all good.

This recipe would be great for New Year’s Eve or for Superbowl Sunday. Believe me, bring this to your next potluck and everyone will love you for it (including your gluten-free friends). Enjoy!
Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts Recipe
<span class="ev_code_WHITE">.....</span>Ingredients:
1 pound bacon
2 (8 ounce) cans water chestnuts
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce is gluten-free)
3/4 cup ketchup
Optional: To give this an added kick, add 2 teaspoons Sriracha or chili/hot sauce

Directions:

Soak 35 wooden toothpicks in a shallow glass of cold water.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut package of bacon in half.
Wrap one half strip of bacon around each water chestnut, finishing it off by securing it with a toothpick.
Bake wrapped water chestnuts in a a shallow dish or baking sheet for 20 minutes.
While water chestnuts are baking, in a small bowl mix brown sugar, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, and hot sauce.
When wrapped water chestnuts are done baking, remove from oven but do not turn off heat.
Transfer the water chestnuts to a paper towel covered plate to soak up bacon grease.
Carefully clean up baking dish by wiping down with paper towels.
Place the water chestnuts back on the baking sheet and pour sauce all over them.
Bake for an additional 30-40 minutes or until bacon is crispy.
Transfer to serving plate and serve hot with toothpicks intact. Enjoy!

You can see Alice's great photos of her BWWC's on her blog (link above) and here is a photo of the batch I made.
DSCN8708.JPG

Thanks Alice!
icon_wink.gif

Thanks for posting. Was going to ask how you modified to use the grill from your last cook.

This is on the list for some summer grilling when one want so sit and stand around the grill. From the looks of our current weather that time is now
icon_smile.gif

Add a chicken liver to the mix for some extra kick, assuming you like chicken livers..................d

I like it all awesome job. Going to be trying the water chestnuts real soon.

Last edited:
I like it all awesome job. Going to be trying the water chestnuts real soon.

Me too - it'll be interesting to see the difference between scallops. I like water chestnuts, bacon, & the sauce (idea of) took a minute to grow on me but I think I'll like it as written.

re-bump!

Making these AGAIN! this holiday season, folks love'm! They're gone in MINUTES!

WXcqI3eDrIZLNn9-9z0cNr5jNxkGEEDNkDWGQbq029_Q2FyMDwUM97ynwtjS4_9b57JS_mbCfMk76R1F2n0zoBDtJohgBIX0FzhF_V2zmnyJj_phgxGXdXbdxdLoNjk5twSnMYPG-z4O9dVQZWftOCEBHn4p5ooL2SMTS0nuYWR34hHOVKLYVVHysLbqcOaYjaFLwfwrDvzF5NvrNnaYCqha8ZWOOsA-eje9p6XepjL4-CTGlrsngwTHXqQGn6wNv25pjTH2ISMjJKO9a3_PZSwjkxGxNkb58zZ0r37sTujwD9wxNp1Elitc6VKF-DQPOT77G5wHNX7WbATmFxKcBYYKI8Bjw1jzoHv90jdHmJAtGUnW9kqTwzVhYGBuT5h2LYezv7LO9DKqeSfZBAIxnjIWOyd2TDMYO2FLIVZbu33FhpT_KdDCSb7Gdy0I9Zh3xMZoRDBTip7NpYAQHKsCLLGDUv4aGrVzwX9MNT9q_9CzvF8l-yV8EeNYdladPm3sNJwsOKtpbWsvqj-DANHDwpQOY-8yZozECuJdgsaa9cXlsvOOfFtiIF0IYRSlu-n2N14VXxTDyeig3uv25O-QbSlNJU5X-TP6oRcBFBK3qXFSp_VqGd6y5g=w526-h430-no

Last edited:

Back