BBQ Classes

Allan

TVWBB Fan
Anyone ever take one of the BBQ classes that are offered (e.g Dr. BBQ's class). Seems to be a real popular thing in the states, (particularly Virginia and California), but I can't really see anything in the Ontario, Canada (or more specifically the Ottawa region)

I know, the best way to learn is to do, but there's something to be said about learning from the real experienced Q'ers.

Allan

An education costs money, no matter where you get it. A good friend of mine always says that. If you are anything like me the school of hard knocks is about my speed.

I am not saying a class is out but I believe I could learn more knowing what I know now than I would have learned when I first started. If that makes sense.

As an example I run a piece of heavy equipment that grinds up trees into mulch. My dad bought the first grinder without any research. When I started to operate the grinder I didn't know shineola about it. After using it for 3 years when I started looking for a new grinder I knew certain details to ask better questions about the machines and to look at certain design features and how well built they are.

I'm not saying not to go to a class. I am saying start your education until you find a class you can attend.

This forum is a valuable resource for information. You can ask a lot questions here to get you along.

My $.02 anyway.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My $.02 anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>And an excellent two cents they are--I couldn't agree more--your example is spot-on.

Start learning, grab all you can, then take a class if you wish. You'll learn more, retain more, ask or understand the questions better, and ultimately get much more out of it.

Totally agree with both of you. I don't want to give the impression that I want to "buy" my way to being a better Q'er.

I read someone's post that summed it up perfectly....you get to eat your mistakes.

I've already fired up the WSM a couple of times and can't wait until the next time, and you are right on, this forum-INVALUABLE!! I've said it a couple times, this forum and the people on it are what sold me on the WSM.

So, what I'm basically hearing and thinking is that nothing beats real experience and the courses will just supplement what you learn by doing it yourself.

I think you can get tons of experience just from sites like TVWB. That being said, there is no subsitute for experience...like the french say, "il fait les mains a la pate..." (you have to get you hands in the dough i.e. there is no teacher like experience).
But, I do think a class would be fun if for no other reason than meeting other Q' minded people and cooking with them.
icon_smile.gif

Back