Buttermilk brine for chicken

JSMcdowell

TVWBB All-Star
I am looking for a simple buttermilk brine for Chicken.

I have used buttermilk in the past for 1/2 chickens, and it came out good.

I wasn't sure if I should add small amounts of sugar or salt to add in the brining process. Also, what do you think the time limits are on leg quarters or thighs in a buttermilk brine.

Thanks!

I don't add sugar to chicken brines when I brine. You can if you wish.

I make buttermilk brine-marinades with the same salt ratio I use in non-buttermilk brines: a scant 4 T DC kosher, or a scant 3 T Morton to 1 quart buttermilk.

Salt is essential. It's not a brine unless there is salt in there - enough to actually get into the meat.

Were I adding sugar I would consider just a T or two, tops.

I often purée a half an onion in, several cloves of garlic, the zest of a lemon or three (not the juice), various herbs in substantial quantities, perhaps peppercorns, Aleppo, and whatever other things, if any, come to mind. (Most rubs and marinades I make depend heavily on the side dishes I'm going to do.)

There is not much of a time limit. It's important, rather, to go sufficiently long. I go at least several hours (like, overnight) for pieces, a full day or two, usually two, for whole chickens.

Thank you for your ratios!

I want to start out with just a basic one on this cook, and then try different additions later to see the differences.

I am probably throwing them on in the early afternoon so I will try brining first thing in the morning.

Or go with the night before.

If adding flavor additions, now or in the future, maximize the time. As long as you do not add other acids to the mix you can go for quite some time without fear of the buttermilk breaking down the flesh inordinately, as often occurs in acidic marinades or brines. (This is why, if I want citrus notes, I add zest and not juice.)

I have never tried brining pcs of chicken that long, but the above ratio of salt is lower than I use in my normal water & sugar brine.

Ribs & Pork are the main meats for Saturday, only 1 person doesn't eat pork and that is what added some chicken. Being me, now I of course want to go a different route with the chicken as a test cook. I will give it a shot. I will be pulling the chicken out of the brine around 1-2p.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
I often purée a half an onion in, several cloves of garlic, the zest of a lemon or three (not the juice), various herbs in substantial quantities, perhaps peppercorns, Aleppo, and whatever other things, if any, come to mind. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So Kevin, would this essentially be a flavor brine? That is to say when you do a brine such as this, does it add enough flavor to the chicken that no additional seasoning is needed after removing it from the brine? Or do you add a dry rub after removing from the brine?

Yes, it is a flavor brine.

If the flavors added to the brine are substantial enough and the brine time is substantial enough flavor will transfer. A rub would not be necessary unless one wishes to introduce additional flavor(s). Depending on the brine I 've gone without and with rubs.

[Buttermilk flavor brines work well with other meats too.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So Kevin, would this essentially be a flavor brine? That is to say when you do a brine such as this, does it add enough flavor to the chicken that no additional seasoning is needed after removing it from the brine? Or do you add a dry rub after removing from the brine? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We think alike Russell. That is where I eventually want to go with this, but starting simple. I'd like to brine a chicken with the flavors I want, pat it dry, and throw it on the smoker, no rub.

Kevin, thank you for all of the insight.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JSMcdowell:
I'd like to brine a chicken with the flavors I want, pat it dry, and throw it on the smoker, no rub.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, that's where I was headed Josh. I recently got the rotisserie for my kettle and was wanting to try a whole chicken (or two) on it this weekend. I'm not sure that I'll have time to do BM brine now cause I want to make sure I'm able to brine long enough. But I'll certainly be keeping this in mind for the future.

Kevin, thanks for sharing this info!

The meat turned out really good with this brine. Unfortunately I did not care for the rub I made, but at least the people at the party liked it. Next time I am going to put some flavors in there so I can go rubless.

For what's it's worth I brine whole and parted chicken in buttermilk brine most of the time now. Usually 24 hours for either.

I have had good success just substituing buttermilk for the water in a given brine recipe. The ones I used for chicken though didn't have sugar in them.

I've recently brined a whole bone in pork loin using a brine recipe that did have sugars in it and it came out great. As mentioned I just subsititued whole buttermilk. Brined this for several days. Very tender and I like the note from the buttermilk.

For this past thanksgiving did the same with the Turkey, but there was some sugar in that one. Excellent results as well. Brined for several days. Very moist and tender throughout including the breast. Even when leftover.

For the ingredients that need disolving I use some water to get that done and just add that liquid to the buttermilk once cooled.

Ray,

I like the idea of dissolving in water. I used 1.5 tbl per quart of pecan syrup, so it was okay. Took a wisk to the salt and eventually it dissolved.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
I have had good success just substituting buttermilk for the water in a given brine recipe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Credit where credit is due. This was a recommendation I picked up from one of Kevin Krugers comments probably over a year ago.

Does adding spices, in granulated or powder form, have any sort of good affect ?

I have never really messed around with flavor brines, but for chicken I think I am going to be happier this way. I roasted a chicken with peach wood and S&P last night, and I like the skin so much better when it is not covered in rub.

In my experiences adding spices does have a positive affect. If you want to have a more desired affect it could be that you need to add more to your liking or need to leave in the brine longer.

Certainly for larger items like whole turkey, pork roasts, etc. You might need to adjust quantity or time.

For the 18lb turkey I left it in the brine for almost a week (5 days). Same for the big pork roast.

The other thing is to add fresh herbs in addition to dried in some cases. But that's just up to you to experiment. As long as you stay with the basic theme and make small adjustments I don't think you have to worry.

I've even added my own changes to brine recipes (whether using water or buttermilk base).

And - I also think just a simple salt/buttermilk brine in chicken, poultry, pork is fine on it's own with little or no other ingredients. Better than plain water brines to me, as the buttermilk adds a very nice subtle note on it's own that I find pleasant and complimentary to pretty much anything I would add. Either to the brine or a rub. I like the texture it leaves and I also think it does a better job of perhaps tenderizing and/or promoting more moisture retention during the cook.

I.E. - to me the meat just seems to stay moist and very accommodating to varying temps and cook times.

I always let the items dry in fridge for a good while before cooking. Shake off the excess and pat dry. Place on a rack in the fridge (dry air). Could also set on the counter with air blowing on it I suppose.

With the buttermilk brines prepped this way and allowed to dry out a bit. I still get crispy skin. But I'm cooking them at high temp not cooking at low temps as you would for smoking, etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If you want to have a more desired affect it could be that you need to add more to your liking or need to leave in the brine longer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agreed.

Many flavor brine recipes are fairly wimpy when it comes to the actual flavor additions, either in terms of quantity, type or both, and usually are way off when it comes to time, recommending time periods that are too short.

If you are looking to impart flavors (as of course you would be) make sure the flavors are fairly substantial in quantity terms, and up the brine time.

Made some 1/2 chickens last night with this brine. I added some turbo, ancho, peppercorns and granulated garlic & onion. Brined for 36 hours and air dried in the fridge for 8. Came out really good. I was in a hurry and didn't measure or write anything down. Next week I will make sure to do that so I can make adjustments each week.

My wife is in love with peach wood roasted chicken right now, so I am required to make it every week. This is giving me a good chance to change something each week and see the results. Great thing about chicken is I just change some flavors and different sides and it isn't getting old.

Josh, Are you adding peach wood for the smoke or are you actually cooking with peach wood?
If so, whats your technique?
Thanks in advance.
AJ

Back