WSM Owners: Check-Out The Virtual Weber Bullet website

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
If you've found your way to this forum via a search engine like Google or Bing, I would like to direct your attention a tremendous resource for Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker owners: The Virtual Weber Bullet.

I started The Virtual Weber Bullet in 1998 and it's your best source for everything you'd ever want to know about the WSM, including recipes and cooking examples, operating tips, modifications, and more.

I hope you'll visit the site often, and that you'll tell all your friends to visit, too!

Here are just a few of the most popular articles that a new WSM owner should check-out:

Regards,
Chris

Chris, just an FYI that Weber has changed the instructions in the owner's manual for lighting the bullet, at least as early as a couple of years ago.

My '09 manual recommends firestarter cubes for lighting and no less than 150 briquettes in the ring for anything other than seafood. The user is directed to start the cook as soon as the <span class="ev_code_RED">top</span> briquettes are ashed over and this method is very similar to the Minion method, whether using the torch or starter cubes. It took a while, but looks like the Weber folks finally took the "set it and forget it" benefits of their own product into account!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Hi Dave,

Yes, I'm aware of this. When I visited Weber in 2008, we had some discussions about their revised lighting instructions in the owner's manual. It is sort of a take on the Minion Method.

Regards,
Chris

I'm a newbie here. Just bought a WSM 22.5" smoker. This seems like a dumb question, but I keep seeing instructions to "assemble the cooker" after the charcoal is laid and lit. Does that mean the cooker has to be disassembled (the center section removed) down to the fire ring and then reassembled (center section) before putting the meat on?

I'm a newbie here. Just bought a WSM 22.5" smoker. This seems like a dumb question, but I keep seeing instructions to "assemble the cooker" after the charcoal is laid and lit. Does that mean the cooker has to be disassembled (the center section removed) down to the fire ring and then reassembled (center section) before putting the meat on?

Yes, removing the center section to fill thecharcoal ring is standard method of getting started.

Hey Dave. I'm a newbie also. I've had my 18.5 almost a month. I've learned a lot on this site and there are a lot of very good folks here that gladly offer help, advice, and support. Welcome to the addiction and the site.

Thanks, Charlie. I kinda figured that was what was meant by "assembling" but I wasn't sure and I do appreciate your indulgence in answering what was a pretty basic (if not entirely stupid) question. Thanks to this forum, I'm about to get the courage to fire up what some of my non-cooking friends refer to as R2D2! Planning to smoke some baby-backs on Sunday. Thanks again Charlie.

Thanks, Charlie. I kinda figured that was what was meant by "assembling" but I wasn't sure and I do appreciate your indulgence in answering what was a pretty basic (if not entirely stupid) question. Thanks to this forum, I'm about to get the courage to fire up what some of my non-cooking friends refer to as R2D2! Planning to smoke some baby-backs on Sunday. Thanks again Charlie.

The community here is always ready to help.http://http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/tipsfaq.html
There are great tips here to get started.

Here's two other favs: http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?21030-PDF-The-BBQ-Wisdom-of-Harry-Soo

http://www.pbs.org/food/web-shows/bbq-with-franklin/

Just picked up a new WSM 22.5" (in the box) last week. Conditioning is complete and I'll look to fire it up for our first smoked meal sometime soon. Just starting to plow through all of the information on this website. Very informative.

Chris - just wanted to say thank you for this website and forum. I'm a WSM newbie and Weber Kettle novice but I'm hooked. What got you started on your Weber journey? Did you work for them or design for them at some point/still?

If you've found your way to this forum via a search engine like Google or Bing, I would like to direct your attention a tremendous resource for Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker owners: The Virtual Weber Bullet.

I started The Virtual Weber Bullet in 1998 and it's your best source for everything you'd ever want to know about the WSM, including recipes and cooking examples, operating tips, modifications, and more.

I hope you'll visit the site often, and that you'll tell all your friends to visit, too!

Here are just a few of the most popular articles that a new WSM owner should check-out:

Regards,
Chris
Thanks Chris. Gonna give your basic BBQ chicken recipe a try this weekend on my new/used WSM-22. Thanks for the great step by step directions.

That's a good, first cook on chicken. Also, the Hot & Fast chicken recipe is good too (Note that in this one, you remove the water pan from the smoker).
Hey Chris cooked your basic chicken recipe tonight and the family loved it. The only adjustment is my wife wanted more smoke so I will go all hickory next time. I liked it alot, crispy skin and juicy thanks.

Attachments

• chicken.jpg
    chicken.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
The only adjustment is my wife wanted more smoke so I will go all hickory next time.
Smoke flavor is very subjective, so you can play with the type and amount of smoke wood used.

You might also evaluate the smokiness of leftovers the next day. I often find that meat seems smokier the next day; I suspect my senses get overwhelmed by the smoke during cooking.

Smoke flavor is very subjective, so you can play with the type and amount of smoke wood used.

You might also evaluate the smokiness of leftovers the next day. I often find that meat seems smokier the next day; I suspect my senses get overwhelmed by the smoke during cooking.
Very true, I thought the smoke flavor was good. It maybe I've used too much smoking wood on previous cooks and she got used to that. Regardless, I'm going to try your Basic Marinated Chicken on Monday with all hickory and get her reaction then. Thanks again

Last edited:

Back