Cajun Bandit Rotisserie Review

Rolf Jacobsen

TVWBB Emerald Member
Background – I have never cooked anything on a rotisserie before. At 65 years of age, this is embarrassing. Truth be told, I have only been into BBQ for the last seven years. Currently I cook with a seven year old Performer, (My workhorse at least three days a week all year. If it holds still, I’ll cook it on the Performer), 22” OTG and an 18” WSM. I mention this because it explains why I chose the Cajon Bandit/Weber Kettle option for the rotisserie. I don’t need the adaptor to fit the 22” WSM. I chose the Cajun Bandit unit over the Weber because I like the idea of stainless steel, a battery powered motor and the fact I can use it on the Performer if needed. First of all Chris Perres at Cajon Bandit is the real deal. He answers your questions promptly and addresses any issue immediately and in the right way. The unit fits both the Performer and kettle. The base appears to have the same dimensions at the stock Weber lid. As a result, it sits on top of the kettle/Performer, so there is no issue with it interfering with the bolts holding the lid retainer on the Performer. I tried it on both the Performer and 22” OTG and it works on both.

Working through it –. The first cook was on the OTG. This OTG is dead stock with the exception of a thermometer and vent insulator mounted on the lid. Leaks were never an issue. Our first cook was two chickens. Actually that’s why I bought it. My wife LOVES rotisserie chicken. It just took me seven years to realize it. Duh! Obviously there is a learning curve with this kind of cooking and hopefully even someone like me will pick up on it. Prior to this I didn’t know the difference between trussing and painting a Subaru. One chicken was treated to a rub, the other a marinade. This post however is about the hardware and this type of cooking. Once you have wrapped, (trussing), the birds, we placed them on the spit. I tried to place them opposite, (legs up on one, legs down on the other), in order to help balance them out. I suspended the spit with the birds across the sink and adjusted the counter weight, (included in the kit), to help offset the weight difference. I lit the coals with a chimney and used a pan half filled with water. When you place the spit on the grill, it’s necessary to secure a small adaptor with a screwdriver. I believe this is to prevent the spit from migrating away from the motor and allows the spit/rod something to rest on while it’s rotating. This is a good thing! Once started, I sat next to the grill and patiently monitored any sounds, changes and temps, (375 to 400 on lid). Yuengling helps when doing this. The motor made noises and the spit did too. So did I after the Yuengling! Bottom line, it worked!

Things you don’t think about –

After the rub/marinade is on, once they are on the spit, how do you move them outside without dripping everything everywhere?

Have a screwdriver handy to tighten the adaptor that prevents the spit from migrating.

What do you do when they are done? How do you handle the spit? Be sure to drain any juices from the cavities before you bring them inside.

Bottom Line –

Pros –

The adaptor/ring is well made and fits to tolerances equal or better when compared to a Weber lid. I cleaned it with Windex when received and got nothing! They do their homework with this. It’s right.

The motor handled two chickens without complaint.

The forks have different lengths. As I mentioned, I’m new at this so they may all have this feature. Just the same, I appreciate it. It certainly can be useful down the road.

Cons –

The forks have grooves/pits. The forks are placed into the groove and then crimped in place. These make them much more difficult to clean. I play in the Pharma industry and I’m sensitive to these things. This should be changed.

Double edged sword. I really like the idea of a battery powered motor. On the other hand, the motor casing got up to about 160 degrees. This can’t be good for battery life.

I would buy it again. Saying that, this is after one cook but I can’t see it changing.

Spit2-005-L.jpg

Spit2-010-L.jpg

002-L.jpg

005-L.jpg

As Always…. Thanks,
Rolf

Great review! I have one I bought a few months back and haven't been able to break it in with all of the rain we have been having. I am just about ready though. How did your wife like the roti birds compared to the others she has had? Did you like the rubbed or marinated better?
Thanks!

I bought the Bandit from Chris, LOVE it !!
I have the Weber ring, and it does not fit the Bandit all that well !! So I just bought the ring from Chris, I have the rotisserie and spit already, Chris said it will work fine. And you are right about Chris. Great guy to do bussiness with. Same with Bob for the Ribolator !!! have that as well and REALLY love that !!!

Originally posted by Shaun R:
Great review! I have one I bought a few months back and haven't been able to break it in with all of the rain we have been having. I am just about ready though. How did your wife like the roti birds compared to the others she has had? Did you like the rubbed or marinated better?
Thanks!

She liked the marinade Shaun. A lemon/curry recipe from Weber. She was smiling so that's a good thing.

I was thinking about the forks because they are all hard to clean. I'm going to try putting foil on before the food, ie piercing the foil with the forks as a shield. Can't hurt to try.

Originally posted by Ken Mc:
And you are right about Chris. Great guy to do bussiness with.

He certainly is; I ordered the ring from Chris, but a spit and spit motor came with it. I offered to send the extra items back or pay for them, but he said keep them. I'd gladly buy from him again.

I bought my CB maybe nine months ago, used it probably a dozen times and I am still on my first set of batteries. It's a workhorse and worth every penny.

Rolf-

Your excellent review just pushed me to get a CB. You should get royalties. I do have a question, I noticed in your photo, that the ring you purchased does not have holes on the adjacent sides. I've seen several photos of the CB ring which I guess allows the ring to be flipped over and to use another split slot. I would prefer just one slot so I don't have to worry about air coming through like yours. Is this the difference between the two rings that the CB offers?

Thanks,

Mike

Rolf-

Your excellent review just pushed me to get a CB. You should get royalties. I do have a question, I noticed in your photo, that the ring you purchased does not have holes on the adjacent sides. I've seen several photos of the CB ring which I guess allows the ring to be flipped over and to use another split slot. I would prefer just one slot so I don't have to worry about air coming through like yours. Is this the difference between the two rings that the CB offers?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike if you look at the CB site, http://cajunbandit.com/rotisserie/, they say one option is designed to flip over and fit the 22” WSM as well as the 22” Weber. I use the less expensive one designed to fit the 22” Weber and CB. My WSM is 18’1/2”. I’m not familiar with the slot arrangement on the unit designed to flip over. If you don’t have a 22” WSM or don’t plan on purchasing one, go with the less expensive unit that only has the one slot. This is what I have. Good Luck!

I've been thinking on picking up the complete CB upgrade kit (fire ring, SS door, grommets, rotisarre & ring) for my 22.5 WSM. But I didn't realize that the rotissaire motor was DC/Battery powered. Hmmmmm. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Does anyone know how long do the batteries last on it? Does it provide enough power to rotate a large roast? what size batteries does it take?

Or am I better off getting the Weber ring and using an electric rotisserie?

I have the CB SS door on my 18.5" inch WSM and am very pleased with it and am sure I'll upgrade the door on the 22.5". Does anyone have any experiene or opinions on the other goodies in the upgrade package?

thanks.

Last edited:
I've been thinking on picking up the complete CB upgrade kit (fire ring, SS door, grommets, rotisarre & ring) for my 22.5 WSM. But I didn't realize that the rotissaire motor was DC/Battery powered. Hmmmmm. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Does anyone know how long do the batteries last on it? Does it provide enough power to rotate a large roast? what size batteries does it take?

Or am I better off getting the Weber ring and using an electric rotisserie?

I have the CB SS door on my 18.5" inch WSM and am very pleased with it and am sure I'll upgrade the door on the 22.5". Does anyone have any experiene or opinions on the other goodies in the upgrade package?

thanks.

Andy I can't tell you how long they will last. What I can tell you is I have about 14 hours total on mine and still using the "D" size batteries for it. I usually load it up with two whole chickens and it turns them without a problem. I also like the fact I don't have to run a cord all over the place. Good Luck!
Rolf

Thansk Rolf.
It's become a moot point as when I got home there was a big box with my name on it and my wife said it was an "extra" gift that should go with my new 22.5 WSM she gave me last week. Well, wouldnt you know it, it was the complete Cajun Bandit upgrade kit!!!! The door, the fire ring, the grommet kit, AND the rotissare ring, with the DC spit and motor! Woohooo! :)

I can't wait to try it out. If for some reason I'm not happy with the motor I'll see if the electric Weber rotisarrie that I have on my Genesis will fit. But since my last post I've done a lot of reading through the older posts and research as much as I could on it, and I was hard pressed to find a negative remark about the battery motor. I'm thinking it will be fine.

If for some reason I'm not happy with the motor...
i think you'll find it to be quite strong and with no cords, well, thats even nicer...
...I'll see if the electric Weber rotisarrie that I have on my Genesis will fit.
My Weber motor would work IF the slots mounting the motor in place WERE in the same place as the CB motor.

Does anyone own this for their 18.5 WSM? I was thinking about going with this but wanted to see if there was any feedback. It seems most of the posts have been in reference to the larger 22.5" model. Let me know. Thanks

Does one have to separate the coals with a drip pan when using the CB? All the videos seem to show people using drip pans where the coals are. I guess you don’t want flare ups from fat dripping in the coals but on longer cooks seems like would be a pain as you can’t fit much charcoal. Can anyone weigh in on this?

Andy I can't tell you how long they will last. What I can tell you is I have about 14 hours total on mine and still using the "D" size batteries for it. I usually load it up with two whole chickens and it turns them without a problem. I also like the fact I don't have to run a cord all over the place. Good Luck!
Rolf
Not a timely response, but hopefully my below response will help others who stumble onto this thread even if 18+ months late to the convo.

On the CB website, it says the batteries will last up to 36 hours, and I have found that the battery operated motor will handle a "load" up to 20 pounds, whereas the fully electric motor also available on CB site will handle a load up to 35 pounds. As with anything, the heavier the load the shorter number of hours you will get out of the batteries. But I would still suspect 25-30 hours min even if close to max weight on the spit the whole time. Also to note, CB site sells optional A/C power cord ($13.50) to use on the battery-operated Motor, for those times you are close to an outlet and weather is not an issue.
https://www.cajunbandit.com/product/onegrill-ac-adapter/

I have a 22" kettle & a couple 22" WSM's, and I have debated back and forth between the heavier duty Powered motor vs the battery operated one... and I have decided to go with the Battery operated motor, to allow for more mobile rotisserie options. Also, if push comes to shove... one can also purchase the heavier duty powered motor able to handle up to 35 pounds, for a little over $50 on CG's website.

Last edited:

Back