BBQ restaurants in NC on I-95

Matt Goin

TVWBB Super Fan
Alright we are heading to Cape Hatteras from Florida for the week of July 4th.

I want to stop for some BBQ on the way.

Any Suggestions?

matt

Whoops! I just noticed that you are coming up from Fl. and had to eliminate most of this post.

If you are anywhere near Goldsboro, (Take US 13 just N of Fayetteville to Goldsboro and then 70 east) Wilbur's on US 70 just east of where 70 bypass and 70 business join on the east side of Goldsboro has the reputation for the best wood smoked Q in the state. When visiting the in-laws on more than a QUICK overnight stopover, we almost always eat at Wilbur's, however, the quality can vary some. (Good's good, bad's bad, and the worst that I ever had was just WONDERFUL!)

Hope you have a great trip!

Jack's--exit 14 in Ga in Woodbine. Make a left at the end of the ramp, go over the freeway; make your first right--they're on the corner. Decent pulled pork, good beef (bottom round--don't see that too many places), sides are okay. They have greens--a good thing--but they need seasoning; fortunately pepper vinegar is available. Nice people, and you can eat outside. Cool cat that hangs around out front. If the pit guy is there he's cool to talk to--very friendly. They have a Southern Pride outside. You can walk over to it and check it out.

The Ga. Pig--exit 29 south of Brunswick. Go right at the end of the ramp. They are on the left just past the entrance for the Pilot. Cool looking place from the outside. They could do more with the interior--not real comfortable, but okay. The food is good, not stellar, spendy for barbecue--worth checking out to see what the 'raves' are about (it's well-reviewed in many places). My reviews are not as high. If it's nice, eat outside.

Several places in Charleston if you feel like making a side trip.

If you go as far as Wilson before heading east (I realize that might not be likely) try Parker's. Cool place, good service, E NC Q. Take exit 116 off 95 N, go east on 42 toward Wilson; make a right on SR 1165 (Forest Hills Rd) and go south till it ends at US 301. Go left; Parker's is on the left.

Yep--go to Wilbur's.

Kevin --

Word on Parkers several years ago was that they were trading on their reputation. Bill's in Wilson has a better reputation (the sister-in-law lives in just outside Sharpsburg -- Temperance Hall) and Melton's in Rocky Mount (have not been there in years) used to be better than Parker's.

Matt really should not be getting that far North; either 13 or 70 to Goldsboro unless he chooses to get off sooner, like NC 24 or go through Charleston, Myrtle Beach and Wilmington.

Wilbur's is still my TOP pick.

I'm not disagreeing necessarily. Been a while since I've been to either but I did not think Bill's was better at the time. (I have heard that they've gone down hill since but who knows? Everyone has their own preferences--I just go anyway--I like to see what sells even if I end up thinking it's not so wonderful.) I think the ambience is worth checking out at Parker's--it makes the experience--if it hasn't changed. The food was very good the last time I was there.

I have heard very good things about Mitchell's in Wilson. Have you been? Or I should ask--did you go when it was there? The word was he got busted and closed the joint. The newest word I got was that he was planning to re-open--if he can fight the charges successfully (apparently this is all sales tax related).

No, Matt shouldn't be getting that far north if he's cutting over to Hatteras. Thought I'd mention it in case he 'strayed' a little too far north.
icon_smile.gif

For the fastest route, I'd say there is a good chance he is taking I-95 all the way to Hwy 64 near Rocky Mount. 64 has been 4-laned a good part of the trip from I-95 to the Outer Banks. Now Hwy 264 at Wilson breaks off just south of the Hwy 64 exit for Rocky Mount - easy side trip through Wilson for some good Q.

Bill's got devastated by the floods caused by Hurricane Floyd - I'm not positive that they are back in full service - I think they had a weird schedule last time I tried to stop in - but Parker's is still there for sure. And still servng some pretty good eastern NC Q.

If you really want a good side trip - I would recommend B's BBQ in Greenville - really good spot - parking is along a 2-lane road just outside of town near the hospital - they used to only have "to go" service but have added some seats and a counter inside. It is hard to beat the ambiance. They have great southern fried chicken too! If you check out a map and B's isn't too far, let me know and I can write up some directions!

Good luck! The Outer Banks are awesome! I'm sure you'll have a great trip. Haven't found any good Q on the islands though...

I agree w/ Rick, come on up to 264 at Wilson. I just moved out of Wilson, so I am familar w/ the area. Parkers is better than Bills IMO. Bills was distroyed after Fran, the pictures are remarbable. But they are up and running again w/ a dinning hall buffet style. Lots of choices on the buffet and most are good. But, I just like Parkers better. McCalls (across the road from Wilburs) in Goldsboro is a better deal that Wilburs if you are looking for varity.

Matt,

I recommend Parker's in Wilson as well. That is some good Eastern Carolina Q. My folks went down on thier annual BBQ pilgramage and found a place called "Gary's" (In Charlotte). It's thier new favorite, and the guy has a 50's T-Bird in a glass box in the dining room. Sounds interesting.

--A boy named Drew

OK tell me more about Parkers!!

Also I heard about a place in Smithfield on I-95?

Yes I am taking 95N to HWY 64

Planning on leaving Saturday and stopping in SC, making my Nc ride a lunch time stop!!

This will be the 1st pepsi 400 I will be missing in 8 years..(NOT Happy)

Oh and Kruger, You live in Florida which is the south, but "FREEWAY" No such thing on the right coast...(Left Coast only) They are Interstates, Highways, State Roads and County Roads, and an occasional Tollroad!!

Well, I've adopted road nomenclature from all over as I'm all over--165,000 miles a year.
icon_smile.gif

Give Parker's a try. Nice ambience in that Formica/waiters-with-hats sort of way. Food is NC east. Not smoky or rubbed enough for my taste but that's not the style; it's been good when I've been there. It's been a while. I used to get there kind of regularly.

I have heard good things about White Swan in Smithfield--they're on 301 S--never been. There are several places called Smithfield's Chicken and BBQ. I've seen them here and there--New Bern, Fayetteville, and somewhere else I can't recall--Dunn maybe, but haven't been to any of them either.

Matt,

I live in Greenville, NC and I agree that route 64 is probably the best way to get to the shore.
I can also vouch for Parkers in Wilson. IMHO Bee's in Greenville has gone downhill a bit and I do not go there anymore.

Enjoy your trip.

Ray

There is an awesome BBQ on I-95, but it is near Brunswick GA. Called GA Pig at exit 29 (jekyll island) at route 17.

Dumpy looking place, Awesome pulled pork.

(just saw that it was mentioned above...but we have visited many times with rave reviews)

Back