Sugar alternatives for rubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Misko

TVWBB Member
Many of us, and if truth be told likely all of us, use sugar in our bbq rubs. And in North America the most common sugars are white granulated sugar and then a few varieties of brown sugars - light, golden, demerera etc.

However, I wanted to ask and see if and what type of other sugars people use in their rubs? There are many other types that are available often in specialty shops such as maple, corn, sweet potato, brewing sugar etc... so what do you use?

Brian

I've been using either just brown sugar or demera/raw/turbinado. I actually like brown sugar, but hate the clumping.

Which is why I'm really excited to try the new brown sugar I saw at the grocery store... I think it was called, "Granulated Brown Sugar." It doesn't clump at all, but it is still pure brown sugar - no binders or anything to keep it granulated. And, its a 1:1 replacement by weight and volume for regular brown sugar.

Anyone tried it?

One of the brands calls it 'Brownulated'. It's fine for rubs. It's a much drier version of regular. I wouldn't use it as a replacement for regular brown sugar in recipes that depend on its moisture content for texture, blondies or chocolate chip cookies, e.g.

I'm fond of TJ's organic turbinado because it's very reasonably priced. High-end specialty sugars I use in stuff where their flavors will star, or at least not get lost in competition with lots of other ingredients.

that's it. Brownulated... not granulated.

yeah, I'd only use in rubs. I need to get some.

About turbinado... I've found that I can get it super cheap by going over two aisles in the grocery store. Instead of buying the "Sugar in the Raw," in the box, which is pretty pricey, as far as Sugar goes, I go to the carribean and latin section of my grocery store. They sell turbinado (can't remember the jamaican term) for about 1/10 the price. Big bag for less than $1.

I agree with kruger on the fancy sugars. Best for food where it will star. (like my vanilla-bean sugar, I use in whipped cream...mmmmm).

I use white granulated "Cane" sugar. C&H in the pink and white bag is my fav. If it does not say "Cane" then it's Beet sugar and it won't say that on the bag.

Sugar in the raw. It works great in flan, too. A big box didn't cost that much (maybe $3?) and it's lasting a long time.

I use a combination of Pure granulated cane, oven dried brown, and 10X confectioners sugars in my rubs. I also grind the dried brown in a spice mill.

The brown doesn't clump if you dry it and the confectioers contains a little corn starch which helps prevent clumping during storage. The powdered sugar also helps in bark formation.

Al

Because I want everyone to enjoy my food including Low-Carbers I use Splenda. It is a wonderful substitute and you can't tell its not real sugar. Splenda also makes a brown sugar product.

Tony

Tony,

How does Splenda do in a smoker? carmelize just like the regular sugar? any change in flavor? I've thought of using it however I've been shy without knowing what flavors change...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Misko:
Tony,

How does Splenda do in a smoker? carmelize just like the regular sugar? any change in flavor? I've thought of using it however I've been shy without knowing what flavors change... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Carmelizes very nicely and the flavor is great. I had to tell my voluntary critics that I had switched to splenda - they could not tell the difference. I am referring to the white sugar splenda; I have not tried the brown sugar yet.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back