The Ultimate Brisket Injection?

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
I've had this idea in my head for some time, and it gets reaffirmed every once in a while with something I read (actually, about a week ago I read a thread here about how the fat content of a brisket is probably the biggest determining factor for success).

The idea goes like this: remove a certain percentage of the fat cap from the brisket prior to cooking; render the fat, strain and chill; warm the fat to butter consistency and inject back into the flat.

yesterday, I tried a preliminary experiment in which I rendered a small bit of the fat cap. I was disappointed in the yield, it just didn't render as nice as pork fat. Also the brisket was plenty moist without an injection, so why inject at all?

I thought it might all be more bother than it worth until I looked at my congealed juice/fat. I thought that this might be the ultimate brisket injection. Its smoky, beefy, and spicy from the rub, and it might give the flat some of the fat that leaner ones lack.

If it worked, the only downside I see would be the fact that you'd have to save your juice for your next cook.

what do you think? am I crazy? anybody want to try this?

your truly thinking like a true bbq guru now, i like it. Although I make a lot of Briskits and bbq a lot I can't say im pro or even close. But I sure like what drippings do for my sauce! You know before I've thought up something that didn't make sense at the time just to find out later it was "genious"
icon_biggrin.gif
and that just doesn't go for bbq either. So I for one will keep an eye on this post and if I owned an injector then i'de even try it next time myself, but i don't. Maybe sometime. but by the way your pictures the other day looked just grand to me. I'm just saying you may find that getting used to cooking it will lead you to great turnouts despite doing anything. Honestly I've even fallen away from foil now, I just let her be all the way to the end, good bark.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm just saying you may find that getting used to cooking it will lead you to great turnouts despite doing anything. Honestly I've even fallen away from foil now, I just let her be all the way to the end, good bark. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right, it was good without an injection.

Most of this thinking was related to my fear of the brisket beast. Last year, october was my first comp, and we kind of out-sourced the brisket cook to a friend and his few practice runs and subsequent comp cook were just ok. Well, we lost our brisket man, so we had to go back to work. Rather than spend time actually cooking, I was coming up with half-brained schemes like this one.

Turns out I should have spent more time cooking instead of thinking because they aren't that hard once you go high heat.

If you noticed the point was never foiled, and you're are correct, it was bark heaven. After the family gorged themselves, on our ride home, I asked my wife what she though of the flat and she had to admit to not even trying it, she only ate the bark off the point! and to think my bbq use to be too smoky for her (kind of like ipa's use to be too hoppy for her).

thanks for the compliment, I owe half my success to the wsm and the people who post here that give me the confidence to let the wsm work its magic (and to stop thinking so much).

Back