Thread: Himalayan Salt

Howdy Jamie,

Great book! Great notes on salt usage too. Can you address the properties of Himalayan salt for grilling? My wife and cardiologist think I need less sodium, so I'm going to need a good reason to use Kosher crystals.

TVWBB Super Fan Jamie Purviance's Avatar
    Russell, I am not familiar with Himalayan salt. It sounds pretty cool, but I have not used it before. Around my house, it's always kosher salt or sea salt. I feel for you having to cut back on the sodium. Here's a thought, which is not to be confused with real medical advice because I barely based high school biology, but I know that most of sodium that most Americans eat is in processed foods. Things like pizzas, cold cuts, cheeses, canned soups, and all those addictive fried snacks. If you cut back on those, maybe you can have your ribs and roasts nicely seasoned with kosher salt?

Forgive me if I steal some thunder, but I went from reading this thread to a site that then lured me to this answer from: http://www.food52.com/blog/337...%28The+A%2BM+Blog%29 .

Himalayan Salt: Hand-mined from ancient sea salt deposits from the Khewra Salt Mine in Pakistan, Himalayan salt is rich in minerals and believed to be one of the purest salts available -- hence its frequent use in spa treatments. It ranges in color from pure white to shades of pink and deep red. Hand cut into slabs, Himalayan salt is frequently used as a surface for serving food. Due to their ability to hold a specific temperature for an extended period of time, these slabs can be used for anything from serving cold ice cream to cooking fish, meats, and vegetables. Himalayan salt can also be used as a cooking or finishing salt. Or use it to rim the edge of a glass for a warm-weather cocktail.

Rich
    UNC Tar Heel '69, '75 -- now Woodworker, grandfather
    Weber Genesis EP-330, Weber Smoky Mountain 18.5, Weber Q-1200