Zinc Coated Hardware, Paranoid please help!

Jonny K

TVWBB Fan
Hi all I'm new to the board and posted my first discussion the other day, which was a Piedmont double water pan mod. Here is the link http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=98110183&f=1...870074564#8870074564

Someone responded that using zinc coated hardware is not safe.

Here is some of the hardware that I used.

I am exposing myself to some bad health risks for using zinc coated hardware? If I am I'll have to run out and get some stainless hardware. Am I just being paranoid? Aren't the stock hardware on the WSM zinc coated?

Thanks for any help. This board is awesome by the way.

Zinc fumes can be potentially harmfull....but the zinc coated hardware will be fine IMHO...BTW I pour Brass and Copper for a living...and breath in zinc fumes all the time.

Zinc vaporizes at 1663*F. As long as it's not touching the food, I wouldn't worry about it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jonny K:
Aren't the stock hardware on the WSM zinc coated?

Thanks for any help. This board is awesome by the way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, and like previously posted you would have to melt down your WSM before you had an issue with the zinc. If you want to worry, worry about your Non-Stick (Teflon) cookware if you use that, it releases poisonous gasses at about 500*F

but I always use stainless when I upgrade anything just because it holds it appearance longer.

Back