My new to me 1981 Smokey Joe

Timothy Hoffman

TVWBB All-Star
I picked this gem up on labor day weekend at a garage sale for $3.00

As is when I got it.

120525a.jpg

After I cleaned it up. Note, never use oven cleaner again. It eats up the aluminum vents.
Also, no handle right now as I am still refinishing it.

120607a.jpg

1981 "C"

120607b.jpg

I went all out and got a Craycort grate for it too.

120607c.jpg

Now all I need to do is finish the tamale pot and I have a mini WSM!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> . Note, never use oven cleaner again. It eats up the aluminum vents.
Also, no handle right now as I am still refinishing it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point, but I would say it differently. "Use oven cleaner on the inside only, and/or keep it away from the alluminum."

When I was cleaning my mastertouch, I sprayed the ash catcher ring and pan, and it did 'eat it up' a bit. Steel wool sanding/polishing took care of that, and I was left with no problems, but oven cleaner definitely goes to work on the alluminium pieces.

I really like the black leg color with the black bowl/lid. Are those porcelain coated legs on the older folding style? Or are they factory painted?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C.Hill:
I really like the black leg color with the black bowl/lid. Are those porcelain coated legs on the older folding style? Or are they factory painted? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They looked to be factory painted black. I sanded them down and hit them with a few coats of Krylon.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sonny Roach:
I refinished an old one and used gun blue on the legs, turned out nice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got a pic of it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sonny Roach:
I refinished an old one and used gun blue on the legs, turned out nice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, pictures please!

Back