Can Gas Grill be Used to Smoke Ribs?

Scotty W.

TVWBB Super Fan
Will be visiting my Sis and BIL in Bettendorf, IA in Aug and would like to smoke a couple slabs of ribs on his Weber Spirit. It has 3 burners. I know I would have to use wood chips in a pan but having never used a gasser to smoke I'm really ignorant. Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much
Scotty W.

I have done this on mine I used foil packs like 3 of them and layed the pack on top of the Flavor bars, changed them out every hour or so, I only used the front & back burners (mine is a E /W config. It worked out ok, ribs were surprising good.

Scotty,

I smoke ribs on my 2-burner Weber gas grill all the time. Use wood chips soaked in water for an hour. Place in foil pouch and put lots of holes in the top. Set foil pouch underneath grate over flame...I lie it on the front of the flavorizer bars. Replace grate and heat on high till you start to see & smell the smoke, then turn back burner(s) off and leave front burner on, turned down to where you want your cook temp to be.

Alton Brown did an episode of Good Eats called "Right On Q" where he details the whole procedure. It's viewable on the Food Network website if you want to check it out.

Jim

Originally posted by JimS:
Scotty,

I smoke ribs on my 2-burner Weber gas grill all the time. Use wood chips soaked in water for an hour. Place in foil pouch and put lots of holes in the top. Set foil pouch underneath grate over flame...I lie it on the front of the flavorizer bars. Replace grate and heat on high till you start to see & smell the smoke, then turn back burner(s) off and leave front burner on, turned down to where you want your cook temp to be.

Alton Brown did an episode of Good Eats called "Right On Q" where he details the whole procedure. It's viewable on the Food Network website if you want to check it out.

Jim

I do what he said, Jim you explian it better than I, It does works great.
Kevin

Decent ribs can be done at a higher temperature. Cook indirect for about three hours at 325°. Add smoke pouches at begining and every hour after that. Not low and slow,but not bad either.

Thanks folks for the comments and info. I'm gonna try the suggestions and will let you know how the ribs turn out. Thanks again

Back