Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Todd R.

TVWBB Super Fan
I made some garlic mashed potatoes last thanksgiving...I remember that I made them the day before...put them in a casserole with butter pads on top...then stuck it in the fridge for cooking the next day? I can’t find the recipe? Don’t remember if it was Keri C or not? I think everything else I cooked that day was...but I still have those recipes? Anyone got a good one?

This is just the basic recipe, but it's good, and it's easy. If you don't have a ricer , just smash 'em up however you want to, but the coarse blade of a ricer makes the best texture for mashed potatoes, I think.
icon_smile.gif
You know, I think Kevin K may have posted his garlic mashed potatoes last year, but I can't remember for sure.

Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes

8 servings.

1 head garlic (the WHOLE head, not just one clove)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
4 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup half-and-half
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Cut the top 1/4 off of the garlic head, drizzle garlic with olive oil, then wrap in aluminum foil. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, till softened. You can do this part ahead of time.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain well, toss the drained potato quarters around in the still-hot pan to help dry them out a bit more, and then run potatoes through a large-holed ricer. Remove the garlic from the oven, and squeeze the contents of the softened cloves into the potatoes. GENTLY stir in butter, milk, salt and pepper. Gently stir to blend, and serve with great pride.

For a twist on the recipe the gralic can be smoked basicly the same way except no foil. Smoke at 250 till garlic is soft.
Jim

I can't remember if I posted it or not either (ain't time a blur with advancing age?) but I make one similar to the one Keri posted above, one with smoked garlic as Jim posted, and one with 'regular' garlic boiled along with the potatoes and riced as well.

Couple comments: Russets (Idaho potatoes) are best for mashed. I highly recommend white pepper in place of black for mashed--really makes a difference to me. Mashed can get pasty during reheating. Imo, for best results reheat them in a deep casserole (or the like) in the oven. If you sre short of time nuke them first--just for a bit--to get the chill off then place in the oven. Oven reheating will lighten the texture of the mashed. If you paint the top with heavy cream (use a pastry brush; you don't need a lot) the cream will brown and add a pleasant subtle nuttiness to the dish. You can also make the mashed, place in a casserole, paint with cream and put the dish right in the oven (if making day of and not ahead of time).

The recipe Keri posted makes Great mashed potatoes. One variation I've had success with is to simmer the roasted garlic in the half-and-half for about 10 minutes; then puree it using either a regular blender or stick blender. Add this mixture along with the butter and S&P to the potatoes. This gets the garlic evenly distributed throughout, and there aren't little roasted garlic bombs in the spuds. Personally, I like the bits of roast garlic, but not everyone does.

Keri - thanks for the tips on rewarming. Having made mashed potato glue by trying to reheat on the stove top, I appreciate the advice.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Russets (Idaho potatoes) are best for mashed </div></BLOCKQUOTE> by Kevin Kruger

Kevin,

Until I read your post I had never tried russets for mashed potatoes. Well, we fixed them last night and they were the best ever! Thanks so much for the tip. You continue to amaze me!

Ray

Back