Herbed summer squash and potato torte with Parmesan

herb s

TVWBB Fan
Another way to use all that fresh graden squash.

This is a really good recipe. I've fixed it about 4 or 5 times this summer. Gave it to my sister in law and they love it too.

My variations are in italics.

Enjoy

Herbed summer squash and potato torte with Parmesan

Ingredients

1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced (I use a large Vidalia or sweet onion thinly sliced)
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme (I use more fresh thyme and add some basil)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/8-inch-thick rounds
12 ounces yellow crookneck squash, cut into 1/8-inch-thick rounds
6 teaspoons olive oil
Preparation:

Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter two 8-inch-diameter cake pans. Set aside 1/4 cup sliced green onions. Toss remaining green onions, cheese, flour, thyme, salt and pepper in medium bowl to blend.

Layer 1/6 of potatoes in concentric circles in bottom of 1 prepared pan, overlapping slightly. Layer 1/4 of squash in concentric circles atop potatoes. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil. Sprinkle with 1/6 of cheese mixture. Repeat with 1/6 of potatoes, then 1/4 of squash and 1 teaspoon oil. Sprinkle with 1/6 of cheese mixture. Top with 1/6 of potatoes. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil. Sprinkle with 1/6 of cheese mixture and press gently to flatten. Repeat procedure with second cake pan and remaining potatoes, squash, oil, and cheese mixture

(I usually mix everything together in a bowl spoon out 1/3 into large backing dish and then grate some Parmesan and/or sometimes havarti cheese and drizzle with olive oil between the three layers. Doesn’t look as impressive but doesn’t affect taste.))

Cover pans with foil. Bake until potatoes are almost tender, about 40 minutes. Remove foil; bake uncovered until tortes begin to brown and potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes longer.

Cut each torte into wedges. Sprinkle wedges with 1/4 cup green onions; serve.

Can be made 6 hours ahead. Cool. Cover with foil and chill. Rewarm covered with foil, in 350°F oven until heated through, about 30 minutes.

I found this on www.epicurious.com

Back