How should I have this animal cut up?

Wayne E.

TVWBB Member
How should I have this animal cut up?

We have one of our Holstein steers (780lb) hanging at the butchers right now that will be cut up next week after the two week hang. This particular animal is about 3 years old and has been grass fed for its entire life.

Typically we just provide instructions along the lines of best steaks and roasts, 1 lb hamburger packages, etc.

Now that I have a WSM I'm wondering if there are different cuts I should have them do that would be more conducive to smoking on the WSM?

Briskets?
Cuts to make beef jerky out of?

What say you?

Thanks

Me, I prefer to have whole roasts so that I can roast my own roasts, cut my own steaks, grind my own beef.

At minimum I'd ask for the following:

Leave the brisket whole (just have the deckle removed)

Leave the hanger steak whole

Have the tri-tip removed and keep whole

Have the ball and the flap removed (they are both next to the tri) and kept whole

Have the knuckles removed and left for roasting (these are also called 'sirloin tip' roasts)

Have the chuck top blade removed and either left whole or cut - correctly, meaning horizontally) into flat iron steaks

Have the chuck eye removed and left whole

Have the rest of the chuck left in large-ish roasts to smoke/braise or have some ground

Have the flank and skirts removed from the plate and left whole (use the flank for jerky or London Broil). Marinate and grill the skirts

Have the ribs sectioned out for smoking

Have them leave the fat on the rump and steak it thickly

Have the top round removed and left whole. Roast, smoke/roast or marinate for London Broil

Roast the bottom round for roast beef

Have the shanks cross-cut

Thanks very much, Kevin.

Not sure I understand every line-item there but it gives me a starting point to discuss with the butcher.

Wayne

Back