Last dinner....

Gary Bramley

TVWBB Pro
Hello Jamie,

Thanks for coming to the TVWB!

I got into grilling & barbeque as a way to get my family to want to be home for dinner. I started this endeavor about three years ago now and have found “Real Grilling,” “Charcoal Grilling, the art of live fire,” to be quite doable and helpful to my success. So, thanks for that.

This is similiar to Steve's question as I am always curious about how people find themselves where they are. As I understand it you studied economics at Stanford. How does one go from economics student to chef & author?

If you were going to cook your last meal, what would it be? What cooker? Is that recipe published somewhere?

Thanks
Q’n, Golf’n & Grill’n…. too any choices!
Gary

Hi Gary,

It feels great to know that my books have helped you bring your family to dinner. I’ll hold onto that compliment for a long time. Thanks.

My route to this point was strangely random and unpredictable, but I have no regrets. After college I was an elementary school teacher in San Francisco, and later in Jakarta, Indonesia. In Southeast Asia I developed a really strong interest in food. When I returned to the States (Philadelphia), I met a Moroccan woman who had cooked professionally in French restaurants for most of her life. She was semi-retired but did a little catering now and then. I asked her if I could spend some time cooking with her. She said yes and suggested that in return I teach her how to play tennis. So for a few months we played tennis every morning and cooked every afternoon. I loved having such a close connection to food. The more I learned the more I wanted to learn. So I decided to go to the Culinary Institute of America. I still thought I’d return to teaching, though first I wanted to learn to cook really well --- for my friends and family. Needless to say, cooking school just fueled my interest, and I went on to cook in restaurants and a Napa Valley winery. Slowly I migrated into writing about food, and then Weber asked me write a cookbook. Four Weber books later, here I am.

Lucky me.

Jamie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jamie Purviance:
Hi Gary,

It feels great to know that my books have helped you bring your family to dinner. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The plan seems to be working. The kids have requests these days and that is a good thing......

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jamie Purviance:

My route to this point was strangely random and unpredictable.....

Lucky me.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It wouldn't be fun if it where predictable.... Congratulations on your success!

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n... too many choices!
Gary

Gary,

I realized that I forgot to answer your question about my last meal. Sorry.

That brings up all sorts of philosophical questions. I happen to believe that what you eat says something important about who you are and what priorities you stand for. With that in mind, I'm going to say RIBS. Every time I cook ribs, the experience is different. The fire burns differently. The meat cooks in a new way. The mop glazes the ribs in a surprising way. And the flavor always has a little variation to it. The truth is, I always tweak the recipe a bit. I don't think I've ever cooked any recipe exactly the same way twice. I can't stop myself from spontaneous decisions. And ribs leave a lot room for spontaneity. I don't need to tell this group that fact. So I love the learning that ribs provide. And if this is my last meal, I want to go out learning. Life is a journey and it's always more thrilling when I am learning something new --- even if it’s the last thing I do. I’d start with the Ranch House BBQ Ribs on page 118 of “Weber’s Charcoal Grilling,” using the WSM.

Thanks again,
Jamie

Back