Grilled Corn in the Style of Oaxaca

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
This is my favorite recipe for corn on the cob - We have made it 13 times.

6 ears with fresh corn with husks
2 TB. reduced-fat or regular mayonnaise
2 TB. fat-free or regular sour cream
3 TB. finely grated Parmesan cheese
1 to 2 TB. chili powder
2 limes, cut into wedges
Vegetable cooking spray
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp.pepper

1. Prepare a hot fire by piling charcoal on one side of grill, leaving other side empty. (For gas grills, light only one side of grill.)
2. Remove heavy outer husks from corn; pull back inner husks. Remove and discard silks. Tie inner husks together with string.
3. Stir together mayonnaise and sour cream in a small bowl, and set aside. Place Parmesan cheese, chili powder, and lime wedges in small serving bowls and set aside.
4. Coat each corn cob lightly with cooking spray. Sprinkle corn evenly with salt and pepper. Position corn on food grate of grill so that tied husks lie on unlit side to prevent burning husks.
5. Grill corn, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (350 to 300F) 10 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally. Place grilled corn on a platter.
6. Spread corn evenly with mayonnaise mixture, and sprinkle evenly with cheese and chili powder. Squeeze lime wedges over corn.

Source: Southern Living - June 2004 - Steven Raichlen

Had this again last night with the Grilled Pork Chops - No sour cream, used all mayo, but it was still very good.

Had this (well they called it Mexican Street Corn) at a restaurant in Orlando last year during a team dinner (daughter's volleyball team was in a tournament down there) and it was absolutely amazing. I have come close, but have not yet been able to duplicate it at home. I'm not sure but I don't think the recipes I've tried included sour cream. I'll try this one next.

Had this (well they called it Mexican Street Corn) at a restaurant in Orlando last year during a team dinner (daughter's volleyball team was in a tournament down there) and it was absolutely amazing. I have come close, but have not yet been able to duplicate it at home. I'm not sure but I don't think the recipes I've tried included sour cream. I'll try this one next.

Yep, in Chicago it's also mexican street corn or Elotes. Usually they stick the grilled COTC on a skewer and roll in good mayo, cotija cheese then sprinkle with red pepper flakes.
Good stuff and it also makes a killer dip Joan. Thanks for posting!

Tim

Tomorrow, June 11, is National Corn-On-The-Cob Day

bumping up a few recipes for tomorrow.

This is my favorite recipe for corn on the cob - We have made it 13 times.

6 ears with fresh corn with husks
2 TB. reduced-fat or regular mayonnaise
2 TB. fat-free or regular sour cream
3 TB. finely grated Parmesan cheese
1 to 2 TB. chili powder
2 limes, cut into wedges.....................................
A photo of the setup would be nice to some of us having some difficulty visualizing.

I make mine a little different. Specifically, we put Mexican Crema on ours. If you’re unfamiliar with Mexican crema is also called table cream and gas the consistency of a runny sour cream. I like to drizzle it. I also crumble Feta cheese instead of Mexican cheese. I also drizzle melted butter on the ears, sprinkle chopped fresh Cilantro (pairs well w/fresh squeezed lime wedges. Think if Mexican street corn like a smorgasbord of whatever ingredients you like to use but, we also like to lightly sprinkle a light dusting of Cayenne pepper

Unless I forgot to mark it down on the recipe, this is the first time we have made this in almost 2 years. I don't know why, we enjoy it soo much. Will have to remember this the next time we have corn-on-the-cob.

bumping for Scott Smith

Scott, if you haven't tried this yet, please do, you will LOVE IT!!!! 🥰

Back