Dutch Oven peach Dump cake

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
Digging way back into the Boy Scout days I decided that I wanted to make dump cake in the dutch oven.

I used my 10" D.O., this also works in a 12". The 10" just gives you a bigger top.

1 box cake mix (pick your favorite) I used yellow for this batch. White works great for pineapple. Chocolate works great with cherry, etc.

1 can of soda usually 7up or sprite. For this I used lime flavored Bubly. Again mix it up a bit, Dr pepper goes good with the Chocolate cherry.

2 cans of peaches drained. You can mix it up use pie filling, fresh berries, pineapple, cocktail fruit etc. Also if you like more fruit add another can.

Optinoal (i did not use it this time) 1 stick of unsalted butter cut up into 1/2 tablespoon pieces

I like to use a foil liner in my DO. It makes it easier to store leftovers as you can just remove the liner, cover it and put it in the fridge or cooler. Then your DO is clean and free to use again. It also allows you to pre-heat (which I didn't do this cook) the DO which will reduce the cook time.

Preheat oven or dutch oven to 350° I cooked this in the oven. I wish I had preheated the DO while preheating the oven. The cake took about 20 minutes more than normal to cook :rolleyes:

If using canned fruit, drain.

Place fruit in bottom of liner or DO.

Sprinkle cake mix over fruit. Disclaimer, I did mix the cake with the soda in a separate bowl. This step isn't required, but I will do it when at home. At camp, everything is dumped in.

Add butter if using

Pour soda over cake mix. Cover with lid and bake until cake is set. Normally around 40-50 minutes if your DO is preheated. Mine was not so it took forever!

49451540936_525f57208a_c.jpg

49451058868_ac6fe45d83_c.jpg

49451537581_481b0d1f71_c.jpg

49451537476_5c3471a5ed_c.jpg

Its really tasty, warm right out the DO. I have to admit though that I really like it left over and cold right out of the fridge or cooler.

Sounds and looks really good Case. Never made a dump cake, I can see the variations are almost endless.
Question, I've never seen Dutch oven liners where do you get those?

Sounds and looks really good Case. Never made a dump cake, I can see the variations are almost endless.
Question, I've never seen Dutch oven liners where do you get those?

Rich I usually buy them locally. Two different stores here that have cast iron carry themall the time. Ace hardware here has them most the time but sizes are hit and miss. Walmart has the seasonally but I don’t shop there. Sportsmans Warehouse carries the Camp chef brand in 10” & 12” sizes. Coastal farm supply has lodge brand in 10” & 12”. I forgot Wilco another farm supply here also carries the lodge brand.

So you may be able to find them locally. If not you can order on Amazon or direct from lodge or camp chef. Brand kind of makes a difference as lodges fit theirs better camp chef fits theirs better. But honestly it’s heavy foil and is easy to make fit whatever you have. The one I used in this cook was a 10” camp chefs in a 10” lodge DO. Size is more critical. You can use a 10 in a 12 if you’re not filling the do all the way up. With a cook like this or for rolls bread, the 10” liner works better in the 12” as it’s easier to remove, put in if the DO is hot.

Rich I usually buy them locally. Two different stores here that have cast iron carry themall the time. Ace hardware here has them most the time but sizes are hit and miss. Walmart has the seasonally but I don’t shop there. Sportsmans Warehouse carries the Camp chef brand in 10” & 12” sizes. Coastal farm supply has lodge brand in 10” & 12”. I forgot Wilco another farm supply here also carries the lodge brand.

So you may be able to find them locally. If not you can order on Amazon or direct from lodge or camp chef. Brand kind of makes a difference as lodges fit theirs better camp chef fits theirs better. But honestly it’s heavy foil and is easy to make fit whatever you have. The one I used in this cook was a 10” camp chefs in a 10” lodge DO. Size is more critical. You can use a 10 in a 12 if you’re not filling the do all the way up. With a cook like this or for rolls bread, the 10” liner works better in the 12” as it’s easier to remove, put in if the DO is hot.

Thanks Case, we have a Sportsman's Warehouse and another I can't think of the name now and Ace and True Value. I have six or seven DOs so I can get some liners and fit them to the pots.

Case, thanks for the info will be looking into getting some. Great job and love the cake.

Case, the cake looks delicious. Thanks for the recipe. DH was a boy scout. I'll have to ask him if this brings back any memories for him. lol

Thanks Case, we have a Sportsman's Warehouse and another I can't think of the name now and Ace and True Value. I have six or seven DOs so I can get some liners and fit them to the pots.

One tip if you plan on preheating your Dutch Oven be sure and fit your liner before preheating it. Remove the liner then preheat the dutch oven. mix your cake in the liner then put the liner into the DO.

Case, my son made this for desert last night and it was delicious! On weekends, I love to cook the meals, and have my sons cook desert, and this was a perfect choice. Another one of those where it tastes SO GOOD, yet you don’t let your guests know how simple it is to make!!
Thanks for sharing,
Tim

Case, my son made this for desert last night and it was delicious! On weekends, I love to cook the meals, and have my sons cook desert, and this was a perfect choice. Another one of those where it tastes SO GOOD, yet you don’t let your guests know how simple it is to make!!
Thanks for sharing,
Tim

Thank you! Yeah it sim;le and you can make so many different versions of it.

Wahoo! How did you like the Bubly? That would lower the sugar and probably be better for me.
I’m thinking that a bunch of fresh peaches would be killer in this!

Wahoo! How did you like the Bubly? That would lower the sugar and probably be better for me.
I’m thinking that a bunch of fresh peaches would be killer in this!

The Bubly works great. Any carbonated beverage is what you need. Its the carbonation that is the important part. It helps aerate that cake mix so that it doesn't turn out too dense.

And yes there is no sugar so the cake will not be as sweet. The cake mix has more than enough sugar in it.

You can use any fresh fruit that you like. Berries are one of our go to ingredients when they are in season. One note if you use apples it works best to soften the apples in butter in the dutch oven. Then add your other ingredients. Spice cake mix works nicely with apples. To add another element to these cakes you can also make a streusel topping with melted butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle on top 10-15 minutes before the end of the cook.

Back