Made a bad cook today....

MartinB

TVWBB All-Star
Ribs I cooked today.....I consider....repulsive

Thought I'd cook some spare ribs, to practice with them mostly. I usually do loin back.

So I fired up the wsm 18, Weber briquettes, couple chunks apple wood and a chunk
of oak. Put hot coals in center.(normally I would spread out on top for short cook) Let heatermeter take over, Trimmed up 2 racks of St Louis spare. Ribs. Applied usual rub.

After 40 min at 275F, just a wisp of smoke, my usual condition to add meat. Put ribs on in rack, closed her up.

I been getting complacent about the atc. Didn't even check on it for 45 min or so. Looked out window and white smoke pouring out vent.....blower running high obviously stoking fire. Turned out, my probe was close to cold meat....about 1/4". Not paying attention when closed her up. Temp didn't get to setpoint there...was reading only 260. Was that way for about 30 min by graph. The smoke.....was smelly. Creosote. Nasty in fact.

Moved probe, temp got under control....finished cook. Smelling that heavy creosote smell..smell it on me Everytime I opened cooker....ribs tasted and smelled like it. We ate 1 rack.......I'm threw other out. This wasn't just "too much" smoke....this was something else all together. I may need to clean my wsm.

Morale...don't get too complacent with atc. Contributing factor....it was raining , cold and I was in hurry. Pouring hot coals in center...(minion) probably contributed too when blower ran on high. It was igniting cold coals for 30 min at high rate. Weber charcoal is only hardwood char and starch binder.

Last edited:
Hmmm... That's a hard one to diagnose. I also have never used an ATC, but I know that rapidly igniting charcoal can make some nasty smoke. I usually pour all my coals in the center but again I'm not using an ATC.

Hmmm... That's a hard one to diagnose. I also have never used an ATC, but I know that rapidly igniting charcoal can make some nasty smoke. I usually pour all my coals in the center but again I'm not using an ATC.

Thanks for the heads up. I just bought an ATC during an Xmas sale at BBQ Guru, so am planning to give it a test run today on some baby backs. Will take your advice and keep the grate probe away from the meat. And will spread out the hot coals during start up.

Back