GrillGrates Silver C or any gasser

Brian B Atlanta

TVWBB Gold Member
So, only 2 of us now and I know this has been discussed before but it seems its been awhile.

Tonight I did my lamb chops a bit cold outside no matter usually do them on my performer where a good sear is no problem. My wife has given me marching orders less then happy with the results on searing anything on the Q stainless rods on the Silver C which got way hotter than my 1000 which I gave to my daughter never happy with the results on that grill either by the way with stamped stainless grates.

I always rub them down with olive oil before I throw on the grill still not what she wants to achieve.

Not a discussion about sear is over rated or whatever or are they overpriced or aluminum will kill you I got to do what I got to do and looking at some of Jon's results and others that is the way I am going to go. I can't always use the performer with short cooks like this a lot of times just nice to fire up the gasser and be done in 15 minutes or whatever.

So looking for some guidance and suggestions.

1) I assume can just throw them on top of the Q grates what I am thinking is I don't need to cover the entire grill surface if I was cooking for a larger party I would just use the performer. So I am thinking of 2 panels east west covering the front and middle burner don't have to cover the entire width so if they are a bit short east west fine. Looking to do no more than 4 steaks which I believe 2 panels would do the job and we do a lot of chicken breasts so that seems to be plenty of space also. If they are difficult to clean no big deal retired since July got plenty of time.

Already discussed this with her the 70 bucks or whatever is not a problem, going to use it for a little leverage cause I want a smoke for fathers day.

Brian,
On the Q grills the method is definitely to buy a set of GrillGrates that lay on top of the regular grates. That keeps the protection for the burners while allowing the GrillGrates positives. They sell precut sets for all three Weber Q sizes:

https://www.grillgrate.com/gas-grills-top-sitting-grates/

I think it could work well for you!

Sorry Jon maybe I confused everyone, when I said Q grates I meant the QuliMetal stainless rod grates, this is going on a Silver C. I did a search and it appears they make an 18.5 wide by 10.5 depth pair of grates less than $60.00. I would be turning them sideways so say east west is what about 4" short or so no big deal then they would be 10.50 front to back so just butt them on one side leaving a gap on the other depth should be plenty or am I missing something?

Last edited:
Brian,

You can definitely do what you are saying. The only thing to me is that makes it a little more challenging to use a spatula since you have to swipe from the sides instead of the front. You could also buy just a few pieces that are 17.375" long so that it would fit IN PLACE of your regular grates. If you go are willing to go all out you can get a set that completely replaces your Genesis grates. I have these, and they fit very nicely:

5ydIhw1.jpg

https://www.grillgrate.com/replacement-grillgrates-for-weber-spirit-300-and-older-genesis/

I keep a set of regular stainless grates (my reclaimed and cut down Summit ones) under my Genesis Platinum that has GrillGrates so that I can swap back and forth. The one thing about using a whole set of GrillGrates is that they do trap a lot more heat underneath. You have to learn to adjust your cooking settings. Medium High will probably become your new High. I am also diligent to make sure they are greased before putting food on them. I use grill Crisco spray, but rubbing on something like a piece of beef fat or just regular oil is probably a better way that makes less mess. You do need something or else they can stick.

They take effort to clean, but if you do a burn off you can scrape them pretty clean without a lot of work. Just push the burnt off stuff to the back. Now and then I take them all out and wash them with hot soapy water and a scrub brush. Because most of the grease drippings are burnt off at the grate level, the lower inside of your grill and your drip pans will actually stay a lot cleaner than with regular grates. So I would say that GrillGrates actually makes things easier with regard to cleaning.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Jon. Not really worried about the spatula get what your saying as I use tongs most of the time, we mostly do lamb chops, steaks and chicken breasts not a lot of burgers. I see they have a set 20" wide also for a few dollars more which would cut the gap down left to right even more, I need to measure the performer as I would like to be able to throw them on there also if needed.

I don't want to deal with a full set to be honest I rarely use the back burner again only 2 of us and using them east west you could still keep food warm on the back burner using the stainless grill space back there. I like what you said about less grease in the drip pans really the only thing I have a complaint about on the Silver C lets way more grease into the bottom drip pans then the 1000 did just have to keep up with it a bit more.

I never heard anyone say that about the Silver, but it makes total sense that more grease would get through rather than be burned off on the flavorizer bars since there is only one row. Another plus for the "classic" 13-bar Genesis grills. I personally feel that using GrillGrates makes a lot more sense on a 5-bar grill than on the 13-bar. It is one reason I never put them on my Skyline but went with old-fashioned Weber, non-porcelain plated, cast iron grates. Most of the time 13 bars are enough to prevent flare-ups.

Since you are not worried about using a spatula, your idea of just buying a few pieces would be the lowest cost and easy route. GrillGrates is like Thermoworks and runs sales on and off. Just wait for the next one.

Back