Absolute favorite pork butt recipe?

I’ve got a craven to smoke some pork butt, it’s been a while. What’s y’alls go to, favorite recipe? Inject or no inject (I never have in the past)? Homemade rub or store bought? 24hr dry brine with the rub or throw that bad boy on? 225f or 300f (I usually do 250-275 or so, but don’t sweat it). Finishing sauce or no finishing sauce? Homemade BBQ sauce, store bought, or don’t you dare put sauce on my butt?

Last edited:
There are probably as many recipes as there are members on this forum. A pork butt is hard to screw up (but I have accomplished that feat). For me, it's trim the outside fat, mustard slather, homemade rub, 230° to 260° over hickory, water in the pan, start spritzing with apple cider vinegar/apple cider after about 6 hours, foil wrap near the end if the bark is getting too hard, off at 205°, rest for 3-4 hours, pull and enjoy with vinegar based sauce of your choice. (We mix Franklin's Vinegar and Texas sauces.)

Jeff

Trim, mustard coating, home made rub, 250-275, no water in the pan, spritz with apple juice a few times during the cook. Off at 200-205 rest at least an hour use a thinned version of #5 sauce to mix with when pulled. Forgot apple and cherry for smoke

Last edited:
There are probably as many recipes as there are members on this forum. A pork butt is hard to screw up (but I have accomplished that feat). For me, it's trim the outside fat, mustard slather, homemade rub, 230° to 260° over hickory, water in the pan, start spritzing with apple cider vinegar/apple cider after about 6 hours, foil wrap near the end if the bark is getting too hard, off at 205°, rest for 3-4 hours, pull and enjoy with vinegar based sauce of your choice. (We mix Franklin's Vinegar and Texas sauces.)

Jeff

Trim, mustard coating, home made rub, 250-275, no water in the pan, spritz with apple juice a few times during the cook. Off at 200-205 rest at least an hour use a thinned version of #5 sauce to mix with when pulled.

Whats ya'lls rubs consist of? Mines basically salt, pepper, garlic, onion, chili powder, chipotle powder, paprika, brown sugar. i basically follow what you do, but i never spritz, and i have always wrapped around 165f.

Last edited:
Whats ya'lls rubs consist of? Mines basically salt, pepper, garlic, onion, chili powder, chipotle powder, paprika, brown sugar. i basically follow what you do, but i never spritz, and i have always wrapped around 165f.

That's basically my rub as well, with the exception of cayenne instead of chipotle. I cook butts overnight so it's usually in the stall by the time I wake up. I do some spritzing and tend to the bark until it gets too crunchy, then wrap for the rest of the cook. I find that the rest helps with heat and juice distribution within the butt, It's also cool enough to pull with your hands in cotton gloves inside of latex gloves, yet warm enough to be a good serving temp.

Now I'm getting a jones to cook a butt!

Jeff

I like the Chris Lilly Championship injection that's in the Cooking Topics forum here, and is also in his " Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book " .

I think a hunk of meat as large as pork butt almost has to be injected to add flavor.

I’ve got a craven to smoke some pork butt, it’s been a while. What’s y’alls go to, favorite recipe? Inject or no inject (I never have in the past)? Homemade rub or store bought? 24hr dry brine with the rub or throw that bad boy on? 225f or 300f (I usually do 250-275 or so, but don’t sweat it). Finishing sauce or no finishing sauce? Homemade BBQ sauce, store bought, or don’t you dare put sauce on my butt?

I don't really have a favorite recipe. You cook so many butts for so many years you learn to just play it by ear. ( I'm really enjoying Sous-Vide butts lately)
I tried injecting, got away from that.
I like homemade and really like this one https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?32640-A-Butt-Rub-(for-Jane)
I rub right as my charcoal is getting ready.
275-300.
Yes for a finishing sauce like Bryan's.
Homemade sauce mixed with some reserved drippings.

Most important Robert is to make it your own, don't get hung up with recipes or methods that don't work for you.

Tim

I tried a lot and settled on Chris Lilly rub and inject because my wife prefers that flavor. I rub and inject 18 to 24 hrs before I cook. 250 - 275, no water, Kingsford Blue Bag, and Cherry wood. Wrap in foil with Apple Juice at 160 and pull when probe tender. Rest n cooler 1 to 4 hours. Finishing sauce is the juice that accumulates in the foil. Commercial sauce for others but no sauce for me.

I like the Chris Lilly Championship injection that's in the Cooking Topics forum here, and is also in his " Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book " .

I think a hunk of meat as large as pork butt almost has to be injected to add flavor.

It's my go-to recipe. Sometimes I inject, sometimes I don't. Serve with No. 5 Sauce.

Here’s mine

One bottle Wishbone Italian, separate the oil from the solids. Inject the oil into the pork butt. Save the solids for the rub. Leave the rub on overnight.

Rub recipe:
1/2 cup
Salt
Sugar
Italian dressing solids

2 teaspoons
Onion powder
Dried Minced garlic
Spanish paprika
Chili powder
Crushed red pepper
White pepper