Weber Performer Deluxe Tips??

Richard Garcia

TVWBB All-Star
My New Weber Performer Deluxe kettle was Delivered Pre-Assembled yesterday to my Apartment. This is the first time using a Weber Kettle with a Propane Ignitor; so, the instruction book shows two(2) places to check for leaks using water-soap spray. If any water bubbles surface I have a leak, correct? Are there any other places on this Kettle to check for Gas Leaks?

Why so concerned? In reading the instruction manual it states that if this is not properly connected DEATH or SEVERE INJURY could occur, so, yesterday I lit up the charcoal via the Weber Chimney using the Weber Fire Cubes to give my new Kettle a dry run without food..The manual also states that when using the Propane Ignitor I cannot use a "Kingsford-type Matchlight Charcoal" that has been Pre-soaked with a liquid ignitor solution.

My Weber Peformer came ready assembled, so, I do not really know if all the connections on this kettle are correct. I bought this NEW Kettle from a Costa Rican Weber Authorized Dealer in which this is my first dealing with this Dealer. Yesterday I registered this Kettle on the Weber.com Website,so, if I have any problems I will give them a ring via Skype.

Hope some of you that have the Weber Performer Deluxe Kettle can give me some tips on the best-way to use the propane ignitor on this Kettle which is really a Bute! For many years I have been Grilling with my Weber Mastertouch and Weber Smoky Joe Kettles but no experience in using the Weber Kettle Propane Ignitor. I have NO experience is using any type of Gas Grill.

Last edited:
This video will give you some pointers. What I do remove the grate obviously load my charcoal baskets leaving a little room then I put about 14 briquettes into my chimney starter which I center where the flame is coming out. Really you don't need much gas to get them going in the starter a few minutes gets them going.

When they are ready I move my baskets to where I want them and evenly spread the coals from the starter over the coals in each basket. I do a lot of chicken wings so for those my baskets are in the middle of the grill butted together and my wings around the edges for indirect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CU0f2oFExU

Brian: Thanx for your excellent tips and I just watched the You Tube Vedeo showing how to use the gas ignitor which is of great help.

One tip is to leave the cover up on the controls when in use as a reminder that the burner is still lit.
Plop it back down, of course, after the gas has been turned off.

Another trick is to mark the lower vent settings so you know where you are 1/4 open or whatever. Here is a good video, as he points out there is play in the rod so start all the way to the left in the off position move to full open, before you make another mark move the rod to the off position. You will understand when you view the video.

Once you have the marks all set say your are cooking and want to close the vent to one of your marks, I always go full off then move to my new mark since that should be the most accurate since with every mark you made you were using a base of full off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQMw6DnM9rk&t=24s

Another item to look at if you use your gas assist a lot and don't move the grill around too much this might be a good investment. The little gas bottles aren't cheap anymore so I bought the hose and hooked up to a twenty pound bottle. Going on 5 years on the same bottle. I would have gone through at least 15-20 small bottles vs. one $8.90 full tank which is still working. Quite a savings, around here a two small bottle set is around $8.00.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0012XXD4Y/tvwb-20

I have a Performer as well and I can honestly say that not once in the 4 or 5 years of owning it have I tested for leaks. lol. Turn on the gas.... hit the igniter.... almost every time it starts. If it doesn't start then you turn off the gas and then check for issues like improper installation or leaks. The issues you can have that are dangerous are when the gas is allowed to run for a long enough time, unlit, and accumulate. As long as you aren't letting the gas accumulate then you shouldn't encounter any issues. JMO

My New Weber Performer Deluxe kettle was Delivered Pre-Assembled yesterday to my Apartment. This is the first time using a Weber Kettle with a Propane Ignitor; so, the instruction book shows two(2) places to check for leaks using water-soap spray. If any water bubbles surface I have a leak, correct? Are there any other places on this Kettle to check for Gas Leaks?

Why so concerned? In reading the instruction manual it states that if this is not properly connected DEATH or SEVERE INJURY could occur, so, yesterday I lit up the charcoal via the Weber Chimney using the Weber Fire Cubes to give my new Kettle a dry run without food..The manual also states that when using the Propane Ignitor I cannot use a "Kingsford-type Matchlight Charcoal" that has been Pre-soaked with a liquid ignitor solution.

My Weber Peformer came ready assembled, so, I do not really know if all the connections on this kettle are correct. I bought this NEW Kettle from a Costa Rican Weber Authorized Dealer in which this is my first dealing with this Dealer. Yesterday I registered this Kettle on the Weber.com Website,so, if I have any problems I will give them a ring via Skype.

Hope some of you that have the Weber Performer Deluxe Kettle can give me some tips on the best-way to use the propane ignitor on this Kettle which is really a Bute! For many years I have been Grilling with my Weber Mastertouch and Weber Smoky Joe Kettles but no experience in using the Weber Kettle Propane Ignitor. I have NO experience is using any type of Gas Grill.

Usually when you hook up a propane tank you check for leaks. That could be one area but that's on us as the user. Second one I dunno, could you post a pic from the manual?

Tim

Last edited:
Usually when you hook up a propane tank you check for leaks. That could be one area but that's on us as the user. Second one I dunno, could you post a pic from the manual?

Tim

Tim: As yet I am not set up to post photos, however, Takin from the "Weber Peformer Deluxe Charcoal Grill Owner's Guide" #54982,US 12/17/18" it states the following under gas instructions on page 19 and I quote:

"Danger; Do not use open flame to check for gas leaks. Be sure there are no sparks or open flames in the area while you check for leaks. Sparks or flames will result in a fire or explosion which can cause SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH, and damage to property." End of Quote.

Thanx for your input!

Last edited:
I have to admit I have never checked for leaks on those one pound tanks either. I looked up the manual you should check for leaks like Tim said that's on us but I believe what they mean by that statement is obviously don't take one one of those long utility lighters to determine whether you have a leak or you probably will blow yourself up.

If you have one of those $1.00 plant mister spray bottles you can mix up a 50 50 solution to spray around the connections. If you have a leak you will see bubbles these instructions are from a Charbroil same principal. I like the line where they say do not smoke.

TESTING YOUR GRILL FOR A GAS LEAK
ALWAYS test your liquid propane tank each time it is exchanged or refilled, seasonally and any time your grill has gone unused for a lengthy period of time.

Make sure all grill burner knobs are in the OFF position and the propane tank is turned to OFF before testing. Testing should always be done outdoors, in a well-ventilated area and away from ignition sources such as gas-fired or electrical appliances, open flames or sparks.

Mix a 50/50 solution of water and liquid dish detergent. Put the mix in a dish or spray bottle.

Then turn the propane tank valve ON to pressurize your system.

HOT TIP: Do NOT smoke during leak test.
Now you’re ready to test for leaks. Using a spray bottle, clean sponge or paintbrush, spray or brush the soapy solution onto the gas valve, the hose and the regulator. Stand back and visually inspect all the places where the solution was applied. Soap bubbles will instantly form and grow if there’s a gas leak in any of the components. No bubbles means no leak.

HOT TIP: Do NOT use an open flame to check for gas leaks.
If bubbles DO form or you smell gas, turn the propane tank off immediately. If bubbles appear on the propane tank itself, do not use or move the LP cylinder. Contact an LP gas supplier or your fire department.

Consult your grill manual for how to replace or repair damaged grill components.

I have to admit I have never checked for leaks on those one pound tanks either. I looked up the manual you should check for leaks like Tim said that's on us but I believe what they mean by that statement is obviously don't take one one of those long utility lighters to determine whether you have a leak or you probably will blow yourself up.

If you have one of those $1.00 plant mister spray bottles you can mix up a 50 50 solution to spray around the connections. If you have a leak you will see bubbles these instructions are from a Charbroil same principal. I like the line where they say do not smoke.

TESTING YOUR GRILL FOR A GAS LEAK
ALWAYS test your liquid propane tank each time it is exchanged or refilled, seasonally and any time your grill has gone unused for a lengthy period of time.

Make sure all grill burner knobs are in the OFF position and the propane tank is turned to OFF before testing. Testing should always be done outdoors, in a well-ventilated area and away from ignition sources such as gas-fired or electrical appliances, open flames or sparks.

Mix a 50/50 solution of water and liquid dish detergent. Put the mix in a dish or spray bottle.

Then turn the propane tank valve ON to pressurize your system.

HOT TIP: Do NOT smoke during leak test.
Now you’re ready to test for leaks. Using a spray bottle, clean sponge or paintbrush, spray or brush the soapy solution onto the gas valve, the hose and the regulator. Stand back and visually inspect all the places where the solution was applied. Soap bubbles will instantly form and grow if there’s a gas leak in any of the components. No bubbles means no leak.

HOT TIP: Do NOT use an open flame to check for gas leaks.
If bubbles DO form or you smell gas, turn the propane tank off immediately. If bubbles appear on the propane tank itself, do not use or move the LP cylinder. Contact an LP gas supplier or your fire department.

Consult your grill manual for how to replace or repair damaged grill components.

Brian B; Thanx for the above excellent information!

Back