Simple cast iron biscuits

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
I baked these in the oven, but you can certainly (and we do when camping) Make these in the Dutch oven.

Preheat oven to 450°f. In the dutch oven I usually set it up for 350, and cook longer.

3 cups flour
4 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4" teaspoons salt
2 cups butter milk or heavy cream (when camping I use dried buttermilk and water. I think 1/3 cup of dried milk goes into 2 cups water.) Warm to 90°-95°
2 tablespoons melted butter

Mix all of your dry ingredients together (when camping I will mix everything into a 2 gallon ziplock at home and take to camp. If using dried milk then all you need to do is add the melted butter and warm water to the bag and mix).

Add warmed milk (or water if you used dried milk) and melted butter.

Mix until shaggy.

Spray Pam into dutch oven or cast iron pan

Divide into 8 equal biscuits. I use a 1/2 cup measuring cup (spray it with pam it will help keep the dough from sticking. spray after every two scoops.)

Drop into skillet or dutch oven Bake for 10-15 minutes or until cooked through and browned on top.

If you like you can add dry spices to the dry ingredients to change up the flavor.

49414501971_fbed31d034_c.jpg

49414024823_f21e7a1f2a_c.jpg

49414502011_ecb69e450b_c.jpg

Those look good Case. Barb is the biscuit maker here Ill make sure she see this (will definitely be to my advantage to do so) thanks for sharing the recipe.

I love biscuits but, must limit my intake closely! I’d be a mess if I ate what I’d want of those! You’re killin’ me Case!

Case, thanks for sharing that recipe. Those biscuits look so good and will be on our breakfast menu real soon.

Told you I would make sure Barb saw those biscuits and as I said it will definitely be to my advantage to do so;)

Looks excellent! Might recommend something to take your biscuit game up a notch further- get your hands on some White Lily self-rising flour. Have to order it online to acquire it in many parts of the country, but it's really something special for scratch made biscuits.

Looks excellent! Might recommend something to take your biscuit game up a notch further- get your hands on some White Lily self-rising flour. Have to order it online to acquire it in many parts of the country, but it's really something special for scratch made biscuits.

I have tried White Lilly, but really for the added expense I didn't think it is worth the cost. Locally we can get Bob's Red Mill Pastry flour which has similar properties. I had tried it too, but can't justify the added expense. So I primarily use Bob Red Mill unbleached flour. Achieves consistent satisfying results.

Many bakers who have sworn by White Lilly have jumped ship ad switched to other flours.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesal...ally-the-secret-to-baking-the-perfect-biscuit

Can't really disagree with anything in that article- all I know is that I maybe cook biscuits once a month and sure seems like I get the most consistent results with that stuff. But maybe that's just a by-product of the fact that it's what I do every time now instead of grabbing whatever other flour we might happen to have in the cupboard. No doubt if I made biscuits every day I'd be trying to perfect them with something that's cheaper or more available locally.

Back