Weber Q 1200 ?

Lance L

TVWBB Fan
So about 3 months ago I bought a Spirit E-310 and I'm happy with it. However I cook every night on it and normally only for 2 and boy do I burn though fuel. So I decided I might buy a Q-1200 to see if I can save some fuel on the nights I'm just cooking two chicken breast, porkchops, steaks or etc.

Couple quick questions:

1) Whats the lowest temps that I can get when it's turned all the way down?
2) Can I use a wire brush on the porcelain enamel grill grates?
3) Can I just adapt my regular LP bottle to it so I don't have to buy the little 1lb bottles?

Last edited:
I am not sure of lowest temp you have it run at....guessing 250 or so.
Yes, you can use a wire brush on the enamel grates. Some people like the wood scrapers for the Q grills though and you don't have to worry about loose bristles getting into your food and ingesting one.
Yes, you can get hose adapter to hook up to a 20lb tank. Only $6.62 on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B073KV4WLJ/tvwb-20

Bruce that gave me an idea, next time I order something from Amazon i just might get me one of these, for $6 is cheap enough just in case is needed. You never know what grill will come across...

I am not sure of lowest temp you have it run at....guessing 250 or so.
Yes, you can use a wire brush on the enamel grates. Some people like the wood scrapers for the Q grills though and you don't have to worry about loose bristles getting into your food and ingesting one.
Yes, you can get hose adapter to hook up to a 20lb tank. Only $6.62 on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B073KV4WLJ/tvwb-20

Thanks so much for the info.

One last question: Am I correct in thinking the Q-1200 should burn much less fuel then my Spirit E-310?

Yes you are correct. Just do the math. Your genesis uses about 36,000 BTU at full tilt and the Q about 8,000 at full tilt

Yah, a lot less gas. I grill on my Q200 2-3 times a week. During the winter, I don't use my Genesis 1000 hardly at all. Just to cold and inconvenient plus I generally am cooking just my wife and I. I mostly use the Genesis for special cooks or when family is visiting. In the summer however, I do use the Genesis more often, even for a couple burgers or steaks.

Thanks for all the advice. I’ve decided to give the Q1200 a shot and will pick one up. I’ll report back after cooking on it a couple times. The main thing I’m nervous about is not being able to have a 2 zone cook area. I have been better at keeping my cooks over the direct heat on my bigger grill so I should be able to work it out.

Thanks

You really won't have the ability to have a two zone cooking area on the Q1200. The burner is a single burner and a circular shape. It has a relatively even cooking temp across the entire grate.

If you went with a Q3200, you could get a good semblance of indirect cooking as you could leave the middle burner off and the outside burner is wide enough to leave a lower heat zone in the middle. Otherwise, you could just run the middle burner and the outsides of the grill surface would be indirect. Even the Q3200 uses significantly less fuel than a Genesis and running only one of the two burners would make it even more frugal.

Last edited:
You really won't have the ability to have a two zone cooking area on the Q1200. The burner is a single burner and a circular shape. It has a relatively even cooking temp across the entire grate.

Correct that’s why I’ve been a bit nervous about getting one. Having that indirect side has always kinda been my crutch. However my last few cooks I forced myself to not us an indirect side and my results are getting much better.

Running the grill on low should allow you low enough temps to get good results, the downside is that you won't be able to have TWO Zone cooking. Maybe placing the food right in the middle of the grate would be best as the burner runs closer to the outside edges.

Running the grill on low should allow you low enough temps to get good results, the downside is that you won't be able to have TWO Zone cooking. Maybe placing the food right in the middle of the grate would be best as the burner runs closer to the outside edges.

I’m gonna definitely experiment with it. Watching videos I think it’s gonna work perfect for the quick evening cooks. Once I gotta replace the weber spirit (few people told me it won’t hold up long term) I’m gonna get the weber q 3200.

All the Q grills are solid, dependable grills that will last a very long time with some regular cleaning and occasional parts (grates and burners) replacement. Aluminum and plastic, there is little on them to rust.

Oh man I love this q-1200!!! Pre heat times are short, held steady temp, easy clean up, perfect size for small quick meals and most of all the absolute best chicken breast I’ve ever grilled!

Thanks for all the info and advice posted this thing is a keeper.

Yep, it makes it hard to find a reason to fire up the big boy. I have left mine on overnight before and still had plenty of propane left in the tank. Grate was nice and easy to clean after that too. hahaha.

Yep, it makes it hard to find a reason to fire up the big boy. I have left mine on overnight before and still had plenty of propane left in the tank. Grate was nice and easy to clean after that too. hahaha.

I’ve almost left my big grill on once, I don’t think it woulda made it though the night lol.

I’m just amazed how such a small grill like the Q-1200 can hold steady temps.

I’ve almost left my big grill on once, I don’t think it woulda made it though the night lol.

I’m just amazed how such a small grill like the Q-1200 can hold steady temps.

You are enlightened now! I usually give mine a thorough cleaning once a year just before it warms up. Do that and remember to keep the grates oiled up and you'll be good to go. So don't scrap/clean the grill after you cook on it, unless you plan to spray it with Pam or some kind of oil. I also keep a cover on mine.

Hi Lance, you can do a version of indirect on the Q1200. Here is a link to Weber Australia showing how.

https://www.weber.com/AU/en/using-the-weber-q-roasting-trivet/weber-405404.html

I have both the trivets and convection trays for the 1200 and 2200 and have done chicken breasts and pork loin roasts with success. I don't think Weber sells them anymore in the US but you might find old stock out there. The trivet for the 1200 is 30 cm X 22 cm, so if you find something close it will work with the tinfoil. Just make sure you have enough room around the outside of the tinfoil for proper airflow. Below is a pic of the Weber small grilling basket (not pictured on a Weber) which works great on the Q.
xiQsIor.jpg

Also, the Q works well for bacon with no mess to clean up.
zAw1Xsi.jpg

Hope this helps,
Richard.

Back