What model?

John P_CT

Hi All,

I'm new here but I'm planning on rebuilding a Genesis for the first time.

I picked this up on Facebook Marketplace a few days ago. I've been trying to figure out what model it is. I think it's a Genesis 3000 but not sure. Everything on the sticker underneath is illegible.

My general plan is to add two of the fold out shelves from some parts grills I've bought subsequently, not sure about the right shelf but I'm going to try to figure out how to add one. I enjoy woodworking a lot so I'm going to replace the wood. I ended up with extra lids including a brand new green and a nice looking black one but do like the red a lot.

Thanks,
John

AMGiQTY.jpg

Last edited:
Yah, I would call that a Genesis 3000. Early to mid 1990s vintage. The wood already looks in great shape so no need to replace it unless you really want to.
It is missing the left swing table, but you can find one of those off another grill. But, then it probably won't math the other wood. So, it might be wise to replace it all.

I would probably stick with the red lid as well. Very nice grill overall. I hope the insides look OK as well.

Welcome to the forum and I will be looking forward to seeing how this refurbish progresses.

Thanks Bruce.

The inside was ok but I'm planning on replacing everything inside to get it back to its glory days

Welcome aboard, John!

I would just echo Bruce’s advice. Over time I have learned the hard way that you can spend way too much for parts when doing a restoration. Check out our resources. There are parts options at many different prices. Sometimes there is no real reason to use higher-priced Weber parts, and for some other things - like stainless rod grates and flavorizer bars - there are third party providers making replacements that are BETTER than OEM Weber stuff. On the other hand there are things where original Weber parts are the way to go. Feel free to ask questions here. We love to help and share our experiences, mistakes learned from, and just be an encouragement!

Most of all have FUN and ENJOY the journey!

Thanks Bruce & Jon. I have been through those sticky posts a bunch and they are super valuable. I ordered flavorizers, grates and z bars from rcplanebuyer. I did contact him through the suggested craigslist posting so that is a real plus.

Here's my donor grill for the left swing up shelf.
2bc5ZL6.jpg

Here's what I hope to use for the right swing shelf. The wire to hold the shelf up is different but if I need to I think I could fab one.
DBJFZfD.jpg

PjQQyGG.jpg

I'm planning on using the same grill for the left frame, my original has some rust the previous owner painted over, this one has no rust.

I love the double slotted handle, so I'm going to try to make one like that from whatever wood I use for the shelves.

Thanks again gentlemen. Let me know if you see any problems I might encounter.

Last edited:
John: I would use that slide bracket on the durawood grill on the left side of your project grill. You should be able to move the wooden shelf support and clip that is on the wood slat grill to the right side of your new one without a problem. I think those old style supports with the clip are "ambidextrous".

Hi John,

Great grill you've got there. I have exactly the same one and am fixing it up at the moment. How is your firebox looking? After a hard day grinding and still not satisfied with the result I decided to have it sandblasted. I would stick to the red lid.

Go with Bruce's idea and you will have an easier time making it a dual swing table grill...

I agree that the red hood is the most striking, but I have a soft spot for green. It is less common than even red and looks great with wood, just like red. You are blessed to have choices either of which you can't go wrong:D!

I thought there were left and right side brackets for the swing tables. correct me if I'm wrong but using the left bracket from one would not work if trying to put a swing table on the right side of another grill.

Jason, you are correct.
I suggested using the old style support from the wood shelf on the right and then take the slide support from the durawood grill and use that on the left. I do think the old style support that uses a hole to insert the rod into will work on either side.

That being said, I am pretty sure that you could simply turn the slide over and cut a notch in the slide on the opposite end and move the slide to the other side and it would function correctly on the right side. But, if you simply use the old style support on the right until you find a right side slide, you wouldn't have to modify anything.

John: I would use that slide bracket on the durawood grill on the left side of your project grill. You should be able to move the wooden shelf support and clip that is on the wood slat grill to the right side of your new one without a problem. I think those old style supports with the clip are "ambidextrous".

That is great Bruce, I didn't think of that. Thank you.

Hi John,

Great grill you've got there. I have exactly the same one and am fixing it up at the moment. How is your firebox looking? After a hard day grinding and still not satisfied with the result I decided to have it sandblasted. I would stick to the red lid.

Hi ReinderE, it is in pretty good shape. I haven't started cleaning it yet. It has been pretty fair weather here until this weekend when we got a snow storm. I don't have anywhere inside to really work on it so it will have to wait for better weather. I saw some of the builds that had them sand blasted and they look so nice!!!! I'll probably get it priced but everything like that seems to be very expensive where I live so it will probably be as clean as I can get it myself. I wish you luck with your project too.

Yep, Sand blasting is a tough one. For a sandblaster to set up and do just one box is not a good return on investment. For a personal grill, I would simply scrape it out and be done with it. Even if grind it down or sand blast it, it is going to be black after a few cooks anyway. If you are trying to rehab and flip it, then it is probably worth the effort to grind it down to bare aluminum.

I am lucky to have a metal construcion company nearby. Asked them if they could sand blast the firebox and both sides of the lid.
They will charge about 40 euro's.
I choose for sandblasting becouse the outside of the firebox and the both sides of the lid were painted in a very poor way and need a repaint.
Agree with you Bruce, inside of the firebox will be black again very soon.
Hope the weather will be better soon so you can start cleaning John!

Back