Pernil with Puerto Rican Rice and Beans

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I have been wanting to do some Pernil for quite some time. Tim piqued my curiosity with his Pernil thread a year or so ago and just have never gotten around to it. I ran into a couple of problems while preparing for and completing this cook First problem was finding a store who carried pork shoulder picnic roasts. I had a couple of butchers tell me that they no longer stocked picnics due to a very low demand for them. They were available through order only. One of the butchers at a major chain didn't even know what I was talking about and sent me over to a cooler with the canned hams. Finally, on my last attempt I managed to find a nice 8.1 lb. pork shoulder picnic. I made a marinade consisting of chopped garlic, olive oil, K salt, white wine vinegar, dried oregano. pepper and cumin. Pierced the skin and roast in several locations and rubbed down thoroughly, making sure plenty got into the openings made with the knife. Placed in fridge for 24 hours. The second problem manifested itself the next day when a cough and cold I've been having worsened on the day of my cook. I genuinely felt like crap in the morning and it only got worse as the day went on. I managed to push through it but my heart wasn't into it and interest levels dropped. My luck bailed me out once again as the roast turned out pretty darned good in spite of everything. Got a few pictures to share as well. Here goes.

Ready to go in fridge for a day.

enhance

Next morning I got an early start on my sides. It involved a lot of prep and around noon I was ready to bail to a can of Bush's finest, but didn't. I had purchased all the ingredients for the sides a few days ago and stuck to it. Puerto Rican Rice and Beans it was. Beans included a pound of dried pintos (soaked overnight) vegetable broth, bay leaves. Made a Sofrito (sauce) for the beans as well, consisting of oil, onion, green bell pepper, cilantro, garlic, tomato sauce, and Sazun Goya.

enhance

enhance

enhance

The rice included yellow onion, green bell pepper, diced cilantro, minced garlic, tomato sauce, Sazon Goya, adobo, and Goya Green Pigeon Peas

enhance

Let the beans simmer and reduce.

enhance

The roast took just under 4 1/2 hours. Ran smoker at 350 for this cook.

enhance

Plated it up.

enhance

This was excellent. I kind of ran out of gas towards the end of the cook and just sliced the meat. I'll try the sandwiches later this week, there's plenty of left overs. Thanks you everyone and thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Chris...... would you mind removing the "t" from my typo in the thread title. That's a perfect ending for this cook! Thanks.

Last edited:
Talk about toughing it out being sick and miserable and still getting what had to be a very hard cook done. You did a remarkable job Chuck, that looks absolutely delicious. Hope you feel better soon.

Tim piqued my curiosity with his Pernil thread a year or so ago and just have never gotten around to it. I ran into a couple of problems while preparing for and completing this cook First problem was finding a store who carried pork shoulder picnic roasts. I had a couple of butchers tell me that they no longer stocked picnics due to a very low demand for them. They were available through order only. One of the butchers at a major chain didn't even know what I was talking about and sent me over to a cooler with the canned hams. Finally, on my last attempt I managed to find a nice 8.1 lb. pork shoulder picnic. I made a marinade consisting of chopped garlic, olive oil, K salt, white wine vinegar, dried oregano. pepper and cumin. Pierced the skin and roast in several locations and rubbed down thoroughly, making sure plenty got into the openings made with the knife. Placed in fridge for 24 hours. The second problem manifested itself the next day when a cough and cold I've been having worsened on the day of my cook. I genuinely felt like crap in the morning and it only got worse as the day went on. I managed to push through it but my heart wasn't into it and interest levels dropped. My luck bailed me out once again as the roast turned out pretty darned good in spite of everything. Got a few pictures to share as well. Here goes.
Now you've piqued my curiosity, not only because it looks amazing, but it sounds pretty challenging just trying to get one. We have several Mexican markets in my area, I'm going to check them out and see if they have or can get one. Bummer about having the cold, I got one around Thanksgiving, and I still have the lingering cough. Considering that's a "half-hearted" cook, that's a most impressive meal. Congrats and get well soon!

Chris...... would you mind removing the "t" from my typo in the thread title. That's a perfect ending for this cook! Thanks.
Never was one to miss an opportunity to add injury to insult, how about them Giants? They throw away Bumgarner, Suarez, Longoria, Pillar, but they did sign the first female assistant coach. And boy does she bring some much needed talent. She a "former softball standout."

I'm throwing away all my Giants tee shirts

Love doing pernil, but haven't done one in over a year! The last time I made it I used pork sirloin tip roasts that Costco sells. They work out perfect for me as the size isn't too big.

Have you looked at Smart Food Service in Redding for meats? Ours here always has picnics in stock.

Thank you guys. My wife thinks it was the flu but whatever it was it's winding down for me. Now she's got it!

That looks fantastic, nothing knocks you down, you just kick it up a notch!

Tim

Thanks Tim. Your post really got me interested. Did quite a bit of reading and will be doing sandwiches similar to yours when we both get up to speed.

Now you've piqued my curiosity, not only because it looks amazing, but it sounds pretty challenging just trying to get one. We have several Mexican markets in my area,

Chuck.... I finally found mine at Winco. I believe you mentioned your son works there. They had 4 or 5 here but they were all very large, 11 to 12 pounds except for the one I snagged.

PS... I don't think the Giants unloaded Longoria or Suarez. Both still Giants as far as I know unless something happened the past few days. I haven't been too attentive to roster moves or grilling. :D

Have you looked at Smart Food Service in Redding for meats? Ours here always has picnics in stock.

Thanks Case. I'll check them out. Used to go in there quite frequently when they were Cash and Carry. They've changed hands twice since then.

You and Timothy have inspired me to add another item to the new year resolution list: pernil.

Has Smart and Final made its way that far north? Last time I looked for a picnic cut, S&F had them in stock.

I love Puerto Rican rice, and you did it up one proud. I always use a base of BBQ ham stock and homemade achiote oil ( annatto seeds steeped in EVO0)
I use the oil to saute the veggies, rice, ham before I add stock.
Last week I made a batch and found a pack of Achiote Rojo, It was a paste in a box and added nice color and flavor.

Tim

Great work, Cliff, especially when you weren't at your best.

Years ago there was a rotisserie chicken restaurant here that made fabulous Puerto Rican rice, Cuban black beans and other Latin side dishes. Sometimes I'd skip the chicken completely and just have sides for lunch.

Cliff, that was way over the top. Outstanding cook and hope you and the Mrs. are doing better.

I have not done a Pernil since before my Mom died, she loved it! I think I’ll see if I can hunt up an skin on shoulder and do one soon.
That looks wonderful, Cliff!

Back