50% off Smoke Gateway, 30% off Smoke

Heck of a deal on both, but the Gateway isn't something I want or need, already have the SMOKE.
I feel sorry for those who bought either for regular price.

Great deal might pull the trigger on this I would love the gateway nice to have it on the phone but Bob I agree with you its a bit pricey. Got a question is it that much better than a Maverick which I have. Also the size of the probe where you insert it, I have a Maverick like I said and a hole drilled into my uds so it fits in there easily, the probes on this looks fairly thick wondering what size hole I would need, got a step bit so no problem making it wider.

Chris if this needs to go into another forum just move it.

I bought the Gateway last summer at 40% off, guess I should've waited.

But I'm using it to make charts of stick burner cooks and its working fairly well. I'd like to make charts with more detail. Don't know if that's a Gateway problem or a problem with the Google spread sheet software I'm using.

Great deal might pull the trigger on this I would love the gateway nice to have it on the phone but Bob I agree with you its a bit pricey. Got a question is it that much better than a Maverick which I have. Also the size of the probe where you insert it, I have a Maverick like I said and a hole drilled into my uds so it fits in there easily, the probes on this looks fairly thick wondering what size hole I would need, got a step bit so no problem making it wider.

Brian,
I have the Smoke and a Maverick, as far as function, I think both are pretty equal.
The Smoke is more robust with its housing and probes. You most likely would need a larger hole for the probes.
If you're happy with the Maverick, personally, I'd wait until it gives you a problem before buying the Smoke. It will be on sale again. :)

That is really a great price for the Gateway. If I had some spare $$$ laying around, I would probably jump on that deal. But, my Smoke does all I really need it to and I get connectivity anywhere in my house when using the grill so I can't really justify the Gateway right now.

I wonder if Thermoworks is getting ready to bring a new replacement for the Smoke???

Last edited:
Heck of a deal on both, but the Gateway isn't something I want or need, already have the SMOKE.
I feel sorry for those who bought either for regular price.

I bought 2 "smokes", one @ $81, one @ $99 + accessories. The full-price model was for the family candy shop, the other was an easy alternative to my HeaterMeter

No regrets for any Thermoworks purchase (thermapen, thermopop x 2-3, timestick, timestack, smoke) - I especially love the 4 channel TimeStack - that thing is very handy for a guy like me who multi-tasks a little too often. The only thing I wish the TimeStack could do is act as an alarm clock too. I can see the appeal to the Signals and considered it, but the Smoke made more sense to me each time I was in the market.

I just got the wifi gateway - thanks Chris!

Brian, I have had my Maverick for probably 10 years now, and only had to replace the meat probe 1 time. (Still on the original pit temp probe) i kept telling myself “when the Maverick dies, I’m going to get a Smoke.” I can’t kill the thing.... I finally broke down and bought myself the Smoke last year when it was on sale. I really like the smoke, but as far as functionality, they both do the same thing, the smoke is (as Bob stated) just a little more robust. Either way, I know you’ll be happy as both do their jobs, and do them well.
Tim

Appreciate the input everybody guess I will ride the Maverick till it dies unless they run that special for a Father's day gift. :)

Tim, mine is about 7 years old yes they are hard to kill. Original probes are still fine but to be honest I mostly smoke ribs so its not getting used for those just the occasional brisket and I have a Thermapen Mk4 that was a gift from my wife and daughters which gets used the most.

Set mine up last night - it was a bit of a hassle & I kept going in circles until I found this page & then it was smooth:

https://help.thermoworks.com/knowledge-base/thermoworks-bbq-app/#E2

I installed an android emulator on my PC so don't have to keep looking at my phone, that seems to be working well too: https://www.bluestacks.com/

I installed the emulator because it appears the Smoke can only connect to the remote display (neck strap) or the gateway, although switching between them seems easy enough. Trying it out with a frozen lasagna in the oven right now.

One thing I didn't know about the gateway is it's battery powered and will last up to 100 hours. I get good range throughout the house with the normal handheld display so no need to drag this gateway outside too.

Back