2 tsp. minced garlic
1 TB. fresh lemon juice
2 tsp. finely chopped fresh thyme
2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne
1/4 tsp. turmeric

32 large shrimp (about 1 1/2 lbs.) in their shells

To make the marinade: In a small sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the remaining marinade ingredients. Stir and allow to cool to room temperature.

Using a sharp knife split open the back of each shrimp and devein it. Place the shrimp in a large resealable plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly. Turn the bag to distribute the marinade, place in a bowl, and refrigerate for 20 to 3 minutes.

Remove the shrimp from the bag and discard the marinade. Grill over Direct High heat until the shrimp are just opaque in the center and firm to the touch, 2 to 4 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time. Remove from the grill and serve warm or at room temperature with rice, if desired. Makes 4 servings

Source: Weber's Big Book of Grilling

This sounds like a good recipe for grilled shrimp, but don't expect to get anything like this dish if you order BBQ shrimp in New Orleans.

In New Orleans, barbecued shrimp means sautéed shrimp in Worcestershire-spiked butter sauce. Typically they're served with heads and tails on. They have absolutely nothing to do with a grill.

Hi Bob, guess you will have to take that up with Weber. lol Never been there myself. Thanks

In New Orleans, barbecued shrimp means sautéed shrimp in Worcestershire-spiked butter sauce. Typically they're served with heads and tails on. They have absolutely nothing to do with a grill.
But they have absolutely everything to do with delicious.;)

I've seen a few recipes like this one and they usually combine NO flavors with a non-NO cooking method. I would change this one by not discarding the marinade and instead turning it into a sauce.

Back