Replacement center for GBS?

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I have a feeling this has been discussed before but, I’ll be jiggered if I can find the thread!
Anyway, I was looking at the center of my GBS grate and it looks like I’ve started to go through the chrome plating. Is there a SS replacement center out there? RCPlanebuyer?
I saw nothing on Amazon.

Did the grate come with your grill? If you registered it on Weber.com usually when you look at your grill schematics it has replacement part numbers

I'm pretty sure there is. I bet you can even get stainless pretty easily for just the center but not likely the whole thing. The reason is that Weber makes stainless ones for gas grills. It seems like I've seen the center section on ebay.

That one looks nice, but if you read the Amazon reviews they don't sound so good.

Saw that too, the rest is really pretty much fine, the center is all I really want to replace. I think Dustin wins this round but, I think that’s a stock plated unit, I’m going to continue the search, I’ve got a little Christmas money that might find its way to this project.
Kyle,
I’ve had the corpus of this for well before the GBS was even offered, and I’ve been using it pretty much constantly for the five years I’ve had it so, I’m not complaining about it’s service life, I think a SS one might just last me long enough.

Anyone ever hear of “MegaGrate”?

Last edited:
I sent an email to the folks at mega grate and they immediately responded so, I have confidence in their customer service aspect!
I asked if the grate material on the replacement insert was 304 (as all the rest of their items are listed) and the reply within five minutes was:
“The insert grate is not 304 but, 201 stainless”
So, what is the consensus here on that, better, not as good, worth the almost $65.00 with shipping?
What say ye?

Type 201Type 201 stainless steel is unique as it was created in response to soaring nickel prices. This means that it is cheaper, but it also has much lower nickel content. Without as much nickel, it is not as effective at preventing corrosion.The higher levels of manganese help make type 201 one of the strongest types of stainless steel banding. Industries that prefer this type are those looking for more durability at a lower cost and are not worried about exposure to corrosive elements.Like type 304, this type is also commonly used to attach signs, and for other plumbing needs. Although it is not as resistant to corrosion, it still has good corrosion protection.Type 201 stainless steel is especially helpful in cold environments, as its toughness holds up in cold weather. To make up for its lack of nickel, you’ll find its composed with more manganese and nitrogen.As the cheapest type of stainless steel, type 201 seems the most appealing. Still, it will not hold up as long in highly corrosive environments.

Tim, not sure I would go that way especially for $65.00.

I have one, it works very nicely for steaks but, for everyday use, the steel would be more convenient, I don’t like to leave the CI insert on it (rust).

When doing something with direct heat over the Vortex, it is a stellar piece of equipment!

I tend to “clean by fire” most of the time. But, yes they look like a real cleaning might be a real time consumer!
For the price, I’m passing.

Kyle generally you really don't need anything that beefy for a GBS grate as most of the time for me anyway I am cooking indirect on the outside throwing wings in the middle near the end. GBS grates are a pain to clean anyway as that center section if you bear down to hard pops out I do a pre burn and have learned to go a bit gently with my wire brush so that does not happen. Also lazy and use Tim's method which is just burn it off on more than one occasion.

I guess my question would be for $65.00 for just the insert why would you use 201 seems to me you are really going the cheap rout, 430 I would be fine with. They would have been way smarter to use a thinner insert if you know what I mean and used a better grade of stainless.

Tim I get not leaving the cast iron in the grill cause of the rust, down in ATL not a good choice way to much maintenance and again I am lazy sometimes.

Just had a message from Mike at Mega grate, this was a cost saving move but, it sounds like the next run will be 304, he’s not sure when the new batch will arrive though. I should correct myself, the price on the insert is actually $50.99 plus shipping. Still seems a but rich for my blood.

When I got my GBS my wife was so sweet she got me the CI insert too, so I have one but, around here I have issues with rust if I leave it in.

I’m a lucky man, she indulges almost everything I want in the cooking arena. Since we got together she has not been forced to make any food unless she wants to! We eat best when I’ve had a bad day, I get more creative when I have been under some stress, I guess.

Last edited:

Back