Finally, a well-restored Weber for sale in Florida

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
This is one of the very few well-restored Webers that I have seen offered for sale. Looks like someone who should be on our board:

vi5vJzy.jpg

4fYtrLG.jpg

SK89roU.jpg

qOHZzPd.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/516147262442697/

I would love to find out how he does with this sale.

Last edited:
Wow nice, even the pictures are great. I like it. 👍🏻
I think is worth the asking price.
Besides is a platinum i saw only one about two years ago in my area.
I’m sure whoever restored this Weber grill is 100% aware of this forum.

This again goes to show that good design and materials goes a very long way.

Jon thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Wow nice, even the pictures are great. I like it. ����
I think is worth the asking price.
Besides is a platinum i saw only one about two years ago in my area.
I’m sure whoever restored this Weber grill is 100% aware of this forum.

This again goes to show that good design and materials goes a very long way.

What both of you guys have said with a Woof, to boot. Maybe a bit rich for my blood but, a nerdy nicely done redone grill.

Last edited:
What's with the inside of the firebox? It's clean, but doesn't like like
if was done with a grinder. It doesn't have the bare aluminum look.
Picture #3 almost looks like it was painted inside, but in pic# 4, not
so much. Interesting though.

Nice looking grill. I would think a person that knows what they're looking at would be willing to pay the piper on it

I messaged the guy who restored that grill. He said he does use our board as a help for issues. I encouraged him to post some pictures and also asked him about the firebox restore method. I will let you all know what he says.

Thanks Jon. I am interested in the inside of the firebox as well. It looks clean, but not ground down to bare shiny metal. The entire grill was done very nicely and I would love to see some before pictures as well.

That particular style of grill is very rare around me. I have only seen one or two and none that were candidates for rehabbing due to price or condition.

What year would that grill be??

Thanks Jon. I am interested in the inside of the firebox as well. It looks clean, but not ground down to bare shiny metal. The entire grill was done very nicely and I would love to see some before pictures as well.

That particular style of grill is very rare around me. I have only seen one or two and none that were candidates for rehabbing due to price or condition.

What year would that grill be??

In looking at the brochures and catalogs Chris has collected, It appears to be a 2001 Genesis Platinum C because of the shallow firebox with 5 flavorizer bars, the handle design, and the open cart. From the 2002 catalog, it appears the handle design changed, the Platinum C was discontinued, and only the Platinum B (with the enclosed cart) was produced. The 1998 Platinums had different handles and the 13 flavorizer bar deep firebox. Unfortunately, there are no 2000 or 1999 materials in Chris' collection, so there is a chance it could be a 2000 or a 1999, depending on what year Weber abandoned the deep firebox.

Edit: in looking at a schematic on Weber.com, it must be a 2000 or 2001 model.

Last edited:
I think weber changed over from the Genesis 1000-5000 to the Silver/gold/platinum design in 2000 which ended the deep fire box with 13 flavorizer bars in favor of the 5 bars.

I think weber changed over from the Genesis 1000-5000 to the Silver/gold/platinum design in 2000 which ended the deep fire box with 13 flavorizer bars in favor of the 5 bars.

Yup, that's right but the good thing is that the deep firebox (13 bars) still fits in that style Platinum as I have done to mine.

So, you could drop a Genesis 1000 firebox into that grill and it would fit without any mods?

Yup, that's right but the good thing is that the deep firebox (13 bars) still fits in that style Platinum as I have done to mine.

Really? That's awesome. I will keep scouring CL, FB, offerup and letgo.

I love that platinum cart.

edit: But will a 13 bar box fit on the SS Platinum frame? That would be my ultimate franken grill.

Last edited:
I would love to drop a 13 bar deep cook box into my SS Platinum C frame. But that is a 2005 vintage frame.

For me the firebox looks painted. That bothers me a little. Great restoration but paint inside a firebox is a big no no.

I think the deep cookbox is still a better cooker. I would gladly pay for the 13 bars
What I dont like is Weber made the changes as follows for the deep cookbox
1) Different length burners
2) Different spacing for the manifold valves
Strike 1 - I cannot find locally the burners or the manifold for the deep cookbox.
Strike 2 - The manifolds that i find for the deep cookbox are rusted so bad that i cannot take valves apart to clean and lubricate.
Strike 3 - The carts for the deep cookbox in my area are so badly rusted is not worth salvaging
I am convinced that the 5 bars model was a cost cutting measure and a compromise.

So, if you would swap in a 13 bar deep cook box and a Genesis 1000 manifold, Genesis 1000 burners it should all work OK??? Is that a correct statement?

If so, I am sure you can find a used Genesis 1000 manifold fairly easily. Then on Strike #3, you say the cart for the deep cook box's are all rusted. I thought the idea was to take the deep cook box out of the original cart and put it into the Platinum cart/frame?

I do agree that the 5 bar cook box was a cost cutting measure.

My name is Horace, the green weber platinum B was my restore. It is a year 2000 model. It has been sold. Let me first say thank you to each one of you because of this forum I have gained valuable knowledge and insight into repairing and restoring these grills. I have been playing around with webers now for about 3 years and have done at least 100 or more of almost every model. I do not claim to be an expert by any means. I do this as a hobby only. I buy the grills used from FB, sale apps and craigslist. Sometimes I get lucky and find a Gem. Most Times its just a more modern Weber.

This grill is a 2000 platinum B. Please see my other post for info. You are right about the firebox being painted. I understand some people are completely against it and I understand their concerns. As for cleaning them. I scrape the firebox and inside lids as much as possible with a metal scraper, then use oven cleaner and a degreaser from dollar general. Called awesome cleaner. After it is pressure washed, I remove the lid
disassemble the lid and set aside. The fire box is scrapped again, and the process is started over till the grease and grime is removed. Then I do use a wire wheel on my drill to remove as much as I can without chewing to much into the metal. I use 3 coats of High heat grill paint. As for the lid, i spray with the degreaser and use a razor blade to scrape it down to the shiny porcelain original. Pressure wash, clean again with degreaser and blue scrubby pads and then reassemble. All parts are original weber parts, I 2 burns before put grates and flavor bars. Both last an hour, sometimes longer if I forget with a couple hour break between the 2. Sorry for so long.

This is one of the very few well-restored Webers that I have seen offered for sale. Looks like someone who should be on our board:

vi5vJzy.jpg

4fYtrLG.jpg

SK89roU.jpg

qOHZzPd.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/516147262442697/

I would love to find out how he does with this sale.

This grill sold. I redo 3 or 4 week, not for profit. This is strictly a hobby to keep me busy. I have a rare disease called Huntington's disease, this disease is fatal and according to my Dr. Maybe 3 years before I'm looking up at a ceiling. To describe my condition its like, alzheimers, Parkinson's and ALS on steroids. But these grills keep my hands and mind busy. So, thats my story.

Horace welcome to the forum. Nice job for the grill restore. 👍🏻I think you will enjoy this place. Great quality pictures by the way 😁
P.S.
Try some steel wool 000 or 0000 to clean the porcelain lid.

Last edited:

Back