Proper grate for an 18" Bar-b-kettle?

ChadVKealey

TVWBB Pro
So, I picked this old 18" Bar-b-kettle out of a neighbor's trash last Fall. Finally had a chance to clean it up today. Replaced the dampers and got some nice wood handles from Etsy. Went to put in a hinged 18" grate I bought a while back for my Jumbo Joe and found that it slid right past the grate ring on the Bar-b-kettle. This doesn't have brackets to hold the grate, just an indent around the circumference of the bowl that it rests on. The original grate is still in there, bit super rusty, so I'd like to replace it. The JJ grates measure 17-1/2". This one measures about 17-3/4" or 17-7/8". Maybe the top grate from the 18" WSM would work? Anyone have one they could measure for me?

I'll try to remember to check tomorrow, but how old is the Bar-B-Kettle? I have a couple of old ones and they both have the grate brackets/tabs.

top grate for a 18.5" WSM or 18.5" kettle is 17.5" Those old JJ's with the indent had a special grate you can't find anymore.
You can still use a newer grate, it wont sit in the indents just a little lower.

Tim

My old 18.5" (06) Smokey Joe Platinum (SJP) has the same indent and the same grate (17-7/8") as your Bar-B-Kettle
I've used spare grates from my 18.5" WSM (17-1/2") on it in the past and they just slide down about 1/2".
Still secure and the grates not going anywhere.:)

Tim

My old 18.5" (06) Smokey Joe Platinum (SJP) has the same indent and the same grate (17-7/8") as your Bar-B-Kettle
I've used spare grates from my 18.5" WSM (17-1/2") on it in the past and they just slide down about 1/2".
Still secure and the grates not going anywhere.:)

Tim

Thanks, Tim. I did try that, and I can see it would work, but the grate didn't seem too stable. I think I'm going to drill and mount some L brackets so the hold the grate right at the level of the indent. Or, just let it ride. I think this is going to replace my JJ (along with the Cajun Bandit stacker ring) as my small-jobs smoker when I don't feel like feeding the 22" WSM, so there wouldn't be a grate mounted down there anyway.

Chad, Bar-B-Kettles can be collectors items and worth something. If you drill it to add brackets the value will drop. You might want to go over to the Weber Kettle Club (WKC) site and see if you can find a grate there or sell it to one of their collector members and then go buy a newer 18 that takes the new size grates. Or clean up the old grate and leave it there and put the new one on top of it.

Chad, Bar-B-Kettles can be collectors items and worth something. If you drill it to add brackets the value will drop. You might want to go over to the Weber Kettle Club (WKC) site and see if you can find a grate there or sell it to one of their collector members and then go buy a newer 18 that takes the new size grates. Or clean up the old grate and leave it there and put the new one on top of it.

I'm not 100% sure it's a "collectible" vintage. There don't seem to be any markings to indicate the age/year of manufacture, but based on the design, I suspect it's late 90s-ish?

However, I totally understand that drilling through it is probably not a great (or grate?) idea. I have a couple friends who have welding/cutting tools and think maybe an "adapter ring" that sits on the original lip and then accepts the newer-sized grate would be a better option. Or, like I said, just skip the grate since I won't need one there if using it with the CB stacker ring.

Anyway, here are a couple of "after" pics. As you can see, there are some dings and such on the outside (it's got lots of "character") and a bit of pitting on the inside, but I think it's got a few years left in it.

I love those old daisy wheels, can't believe somebody tossed that into the trash.
New handles?

Tim

I love those old daisy wheels, can't believe somebody tossed that into the trash.
New handles?

Tim

Well, they used it as an ashtray for who knows how long before kicking it to the curb. The dampers were rusted up pretty tight, but as you can see, despite the questionable life choices made on its behalf, it cleaned up pretty nice.

The handles are white oak, ordered from Etsy (https://www.etsy.com/listing/558516737/white-oak-wood-replacement-handle-for). They fit pretty well, but there's a little gap between the halves even with the screw cinched up tight. I'm not overly concerned since it's clear they're not original.

OK, now I see that you replaced the rivets with new nuts&bolts. Inside and out looks great, alot better than my 06 OTG.

Tim

Actually, I found this after just a little digging. For $35, I'll bite, although I'm sure that beefy stainless grate would last much longer. This will be an experiment/exercise for me on how to make the grate last longer. I'm just super lazy when it comes to cleaning up the grates on my kettles because I know I could just buy a new one for around $20. Then again, this grill probably won't see a ton of use, so maybe that'll be easy.

Actually, I found this after just a little digging. For $35, I'll bite, although I'm sure that beefy stainless grate would last much longer. This will be an experiment/exercise for me on how to make the grate last longer. I'm just super lazy when it comes to cleaning up the grates on my kettles because I know I could just buy a new one for around $20. Then again, this grill probably won't see a ton of use, so maybe that'll be easy.

Chad, that Weber 70605 is over 18", assuming that the scale in photo is correct. You said you need 17.75 to 17.875 in diameter, so I wonder if it will fit. I suggest you contact Mark Baron at Killa Grilla.

http://killagrilla.com/

He can make anything you want or need. Part of why that 17.88 Killa Grilla grate is so pricey is because of the flip up section of the grate and the handles. If you don't need that or the handles, then similar sized flat grates are $53. You mentioned being super lazy about cleaning. I replaced the plated steel grates of my WSM with Killa Grilla and the difference in ease of clean up is remarkable. Crud and smoke residue comes off easily with little to no elbow grease, even if you forgot to clean them and it's over a week later. I can't recommend Killa Grilla highly enough. Jon Tofte (posts mainly in the gasser forum) and other here on the board use them as well.

Chad, that Weber 70605 is over 18", assuming that the scale in photo is correct. You said you need 17.75 to 17.875 in diameter, so I wonder if it will fit. I suggest you contact Mark Baron at Killa Grilla.

http://killagrilla.com/

He can make anything you want or need. Part of why that 17.88 Killa Grilla grate is so pricey is because of the flip up section of the grate and the handles. If you don't need that or the handles, then similar sized flat grates are $53. You mentioned being super lazy about cleaning. I replaced the plated steel grates of my WSM with Killa Grilla and the difference in ease of clean up is remarkable. Crud and smoke residue comes off easily with little to no elbow grease, even if you forgot to clean them and it's over a week later. I can't recommend Killa Grilla highly enough. Jon Tofte (posts mainly in the gasser forum) and other here on the board use them as well.

I was basing it on the fact that it's made for the Jumbo Joe Platinum, the bowl of which looks identical to this one. It makes sense that Weber would have reused the same part and just drilled different holes as needed for the particular model. Also, the language in the listing is a little...vague?

For 18-1/2 jumbo joe/smokey joe platinum. going no longer available. diameter is 17 7/8 , might be able to use part mcm545s99156 but it is 18 3/16 so measure before you order to ensure fit.

Not sure what "going no longer available" means, but the next part seems to indicate that this one is 17-7/8". The other part number referenced appears to be for a Big Green Egg.

In any case, if it's the wrong size, I'll return it or find some other use for it (a buddy is working on a new UDS).

I think the " going no longer available " refers to the smokey joe platinum which was discontinued in 06.
I don't get the " prior to 2000 " header but if it's 17 - 7/8" it will fit.

Tim

Quick toss in: Mark Baron if Killa Grilla does top notch work. It does cost more to buy a USA made 304 stainless grate, but if you are in it for the long term, I think you will be very, very happy with one. I can confirm that they clean up way easier and that they are what he advertises. I think of Mark Baron as being to kettle grates what “rcplanebuyer” (Dave Santana) is to Genesis ones.

Quick toss in: Mark Baron if Killa Grilla does top notch work. It does cost more to buy a USA made 304 stainless grate, but if you are in it for the long term, I think you will be very, very happy with one. I can confirm that they clean up way easier and that they are what he advertises. I think of Mark Baron as being to kettle grates what “rcplanebuyer” (Dave Santana) is to Genesis ones.

Well, the one I ordered was the standard (17.5" diameter) grate for "modern" Jumbo Joes, so I shipped it on back and bit the bullet on the Killa Grilla one. It's not cheap, but it sounds like it'll hold up as well as the rest of the kettle. I'm kind of hoping it arrives in time to try some spares on that grill for the big game on Sunday. I honestly couldn't care less about football, but I take my game day snacks seriously!

Look forward to hearing how the KillaGrilla grate works out for you. I don’t think you will be disappointed.

Back