Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Proper grate for an 18" Bar-b-kettle?

  1. #11
    TVWBB Hall of Fame timothy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montgomery, IL
    Posts
    6,960
    OK, now I see that you replaced the rivets with new nuts&bolts. Inside and out looks great, alot better than my 06 OTG.

    Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

  2. #12
    TVWBB Hall of Fame timothy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montgomery, IL
    Posts
    6,960
    Found a SS version with the flip up side https://www.etsy.com/listing/6767050...home_active_10

    Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

  3. #13
    TVWBB Pro
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Horsham, PA
    Posts
    806
    Quote Originally Posted by timothy View Post
    Found a SS version with the flip up side https://www.etsy.com/listing/6767050...home_active_10

    Tim
    Thanks for finding that. $70 isn't that bad a price given the custom nature, but $25 shipping kills the deal. I got the kettle for free, and put $30 of parts into it. The lady of the house would kill me for dropping another $100 on it.
    22.5" WSM , Jumbo Joe , SS Performer , PartyQ and lots of

  4. #14
    TVWBB Pro
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Horsham, PA
    Posts
    806
    Actually, I found this after just a little digging. For $35, I'll bite, although I'm sure that beefy stainless grate would last much longer. This will be an experiment/exercise for me on how to make the grate last longer. I'm just super lazy when it comes to cleaning up the grates on my kettles because I know I could just buy a new one for around $20. Then again, this grill probably won't see a ton of use, so maybe that'll be easy.
    22.5" WSM , Jumbo Joe , SS Performer , PartyQ and lots of

  5. #15
    TVWBB Super Fan J Grotz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadVKealey View Post
    Actually, I found this after just a little digging. For $35, I'll bite, although I'm sure that beefy stainless grate would last much longer. This will be an experiment/exercise for me on how to make the grate last longer. I'm just super lazy when it comes to cleaning up the grates on my kettles because I know I could just buy a new one for around $20. Then again, this grill probably won't see a ton of use, so maybe that'll be easy.
    Chad, that Weber 70605 is over 18", assuming that the scale in photo is correct. You said you need 17.75 to 17.875 in diameter, so I wonder if it will fit. I suggest you contact Mark Baron at Killa Grilla.

    http://killagrilla.com/

    He can make anything you want or need. Part of why that 17.88 Killa Grilla grate is so pricey is because of the flip up section of the grate and the handles. If you don't need that or the handles, then similar sized flat grates are $53. You mentioned being super lazy about cleaning. I replaced the plated steel grates of my WSM with Killa Grilla and the difference in ease of clean up is remarkable. Crud and smoke residue comes off easily with little to no elbow grease, even if you forgot to clean them and it's over a week later. I can't recommend Killa Grilla highly enough. Jon Tofte (posts mainly in the gasser forum) and other here on the board use them as well.
    18.5" 22.5"

  6. #16
    TVWBB Pro
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Horsham, PA
    Posts
    806
    Quote Originally Posted by J Grotz View Post
    Chad, that Weber 70605 is over 18", assuming that the scale in photo is correct. You said you need 17.75 to 17.875 in diameter, so I wonder if it will fit. I suggest you contact Mark Baron at Killa Grilla.

    http://killagrilla.com/

    He can make anything you want or need. Part of why that 17.88 Killa Grilla grate is so pricey is because of the flip up section of the grate and the handles. If you don't need that or the handles, then similar sized flat grates are $53. You mentioned being super lazy about cleaning. I replaced the plated steel grates of my WSM with Killa Grilla and the difference in ease of clean up is remarkable. Crud and smoke residue comes off easily with little to no elbow grease, even if you forgot to clean them and it's over a week later. I can't recommend Killa Grilla highly enough. Jon Tofte (posts mainly in the gasser forum) and other here on the board use them as well.
    I was basing it on the fact that it's made for the Jumbo Joe Platinum, the bowl of which looks identical to this one. It makes sense that Weber would have reused the same part and just drilled different holes as needed for the particular model. Also, the language in the listing is a little...vague?

    For 18-1/2 jumbo joe/smokey joe platinum. going no longer available. diameter is 17 7/8 , might be able to use part mcm545s99156 but it is 18 3/16 so measure before you order to ensure fit.

    Not sure what "going no longer available" means, but the next part seems to indicate that this one is 17-7/8". The other part number referenced appears to be for a Big Green Egg.

    In any case, if it's the wrong size, I'll return it or find some other use for it (a buddy is working on a new UDS).
    22.5" WSM , Jumbo Joe , SS Performer , PartyQ and lots of

  7. #17
    TVWBB Hall of Fame timothy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montgomery, IL
    Posts
    6,960
    I think the " going no longer available " refers to the smokey joe platinum which was discontinued in 06.
    I don't get the " prior to 2000 " header but if it's 17 - 7/8" it will fit.

    Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

  8. #18
    TVWBB Diamond Member Jon Tofte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Hobe Sound, Florida
    Posts
    3,892
    Quick toss in: Mark Baron if Killa Grilla does top notch work. It does cost more to buy a USA made 304 stainless grate, but if you are in it for the long term, I think you will be very, very happy with one. I can confirm that they clean up way easier and that they are what he advertises. I think of Mark Baron as being to kettle grates what “rcplanebuyer” (Dave Santana) is to Genesis ones.
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 CharQ,Q2200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, SJ. 2 many projects!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •