Whooshing propane sound

Mike Tee

TVWBB Fan
Last week I had huge flare ups and realized it was time to clean my grill. So I scraped down the bbq and when I went to light it to ensure no moisture had gotten in the bbq, it was hard to light AND the propane was making a very loud (relatively speaking) whooshing sound when both the tank and the front burner were open. When I did manage to light it, it made a large orange flame - so I turned it off straight away.

I did a quick visual inspection of the burners and they look ok (I have backups for this and the regulator hose). They appear to be seated properly.

It’s winter and cold, so I’m not keen to take it apart until it’s slightly warmer. Any idea what could have caused this?

What kind BBQ and what kind of control knobs does it have?

I have a 15 yr old Turbo that has combo valves; when you push them while turning, they put out much more gas and then “click” to light. Then you let them pop back out to normal position.

I had a similar experience with them sticking in place after lighting (large orange flame and whooshing sound from the high flow) and it was usually due to very cold weather. If you have similar control valves, you might want to pull them and clean ‘em up.

Did you use water to clean the grill? Did you maybe get some water in the burner tube? Or some other type of cleaner.

Did you clean off the burner tubes when you cleaned the grill? How do the holes look, are they all gunked or corroded up? Is the burner tube still connected correctly to the orifice on the valve?

Did you tip the tank just before or after trying to light it? Is the tank connections tight?

Pictures would help a lot.

Did you use water to clean the grill? Did you maybe get some water in the burner tube? Or some other type of cleaner.

Did you clean off the burner tubes when you cleaned the grill? How do the holes look, are they all gunked or corroded up? Is the burner tube still connected correctly to the orifice on the valve?

Did you tip the tank just before or after trying to light it? Is the tank connections tight?

Pictures would help a lot.

KT - it’s a silver B. “Regular knobs”

Bruce - I didn’t use water, just my bbq tongs to scrape off the grease. I didn’t tilt the bbq or the propane tank.

I didn’t clean or scrape the burners, and they didn’t look corroded or blocked.

I believe the orifice and burner are aligned (they look that way) but that was my first guess.

Back