The Real Competition Between Kansas City and Houston? Barbecue

Pretty good story! We're certainly aware of Kansas City barbecue here in the Upper Midwest, but I'll bet 9 out of 10 barbecue people here wouldn't think of Houston as a barbecue city.

Houston hasn't traditionally been a great barbecue city but it's gotten better by leaps and bounds in the last 4 or 5 years.

Barbecue in Oklahoma has always been similar to KC style. Ribs with a sweet sauce is what most joints have specialized in, very little brisket and when they have brisket, its not central Texas brisket. Up until the last five years when we've had some Texas style joints open.

And Joe Davidson of Oklahoma Joes, has had a large influence on KC barbecue. Joe is an Okie that went to school at Okla State. Began building his smokers while he was a student there.

I've only been to a handful of the many que joints here in the St Louis area.
Most all have brisket, ribs, pulled pork, and chicken. I think the chicken is usually also pulled.
I don't know of any of them saucing the meat, but a variety of sauces are offered.
Among others there's sweet & smoky, spicy, and mustard base.
A friend of mine worked with a gal from Texas, and she said SugarFire's brisket was spot on with what she was used to in Texas.

Houston hasn't traditionally been a great barbecue city but it's gotten better by leaps and bounds in the last 4 or 5 years.

That's an understatement. I've been to Houston 4 or 5 times in the last two years and have yet to find a decent BBQ joint. I'm heading back next week and have given up on finding anything. I'm going to exploit the decent TexMex place I found last fall.

The ones I'm hearing about are Roegel's, Killen's, Corkscrew and Tejas. I haven't been down there in ages, but I don't think most of those are in Houston proper. I'm sure there are others. All those are pretty recent openings.

Back