Oxidation and painting questions, urgent reply needed

J Grotz

TVWBB Wizard
The discussion in Bruce's ready to paint thread about bare aluminum oxidizing has me concerned. My Genesis 1000 redhead restoration is taking way longer than anticipated. I had the lid sides and firebox media blasted 8-12 weeks ago. The pieces were stored in the garage, the weather has been mostly dry (a few days of rain) with humidity anywhere from 5-60%, except when it rained.

Here is the only photo I have taken 11/10/19 "shortly" after media blasting:

W6NFQF6.jpg

Here is one I took this morning of a similar angle:

VHrCJ09.jpg

I am ignorant about the ways of aluminum. I do not notice anything different.

Do any of you rehab veterans notice any oxidation?

I planned on painting the outside of the FB and lid sides today after cleaning them with some Eastwood paint prep. Should I run a cup brush over it before I clean and paint it?

Also, it will only be 64 degrees today. I have the pieces and the paint in the house warming up for a few hours. Any concern about painting in these conditions?

Thanks for you prompt replies!

Bad oxidation will show up as scaly white on the surface. I suppose the color change of yours is a more mild oxidation or you could even refer to it as tarnish maybe. But, I wouldn't worry about it on the inside. On the outside, you want to ensure you remove it before painting. Grab some steel wool and maybe some good solvent and give it a good going over and then wipe it clean with a rag and solvent just before spraying it. I use Xylol to prep before spraying. Just make sure it is good any dry before spraying.

Bad oxidation will show up as scaly white on the surface. I suppose the color change of yours is a more mild oxidation or you could even refer to it as tarnish maybe. But, I wouldn't worry about it on the inside. On the outside, you want to ensure you remove it before painting. Grab some steel wool and maybe some good solvent and give it a good going over and then wipe it clean with a rag and solvent just before spraying it. I use Xylol to prep before spraying. Just make sure it is good any dry before spraying.

Thanks Bruce! I appreciate the fast reply.

Back