Summer’s comin’ just not yet

MikeS in Alaska

TVWBB Fan
We’ve been in a bit of a cool spell since the first of the year. On New Years Eve the local weather was 46°F and rain changing overnight to +8°F and 10 inches of snow on New Years Day. Since then we’ve been on the south side of Zero bouncing between -17°F and -5°F. The latest word is cold to continue. Really? It gets cold in the winter around here?

1cool.jpg

Subzero temps are a great time to go spelunking and clean the freezers. You can spread everything out on the porch and do a sort and inventory. I knew I had another pork butt in there somewhere.

2freez.jpg

In celebration of gaining 3 minutes and 29 seconds of daylight for a daily total of just over 6 hours of daylight, we thawed a couple of bone-in strip steaks for the grill.

I used charcoal in the kettle as the propane is a bit sluggish on these days. The charcoal was recycled leftovers from the Thanksgiving turkey.

Getting the cover off the kettle at these temps can be a bit tricky. Use caution to avoid shattering your cover.

3brittle.jpg

The evening twilight was a bit earlier than I anticipated.

4eveninglight.jpg

The steaks were just a tad too medium but was a bit distracted by the cold.

5cook.jpg

Chargrilled steak, baked potato, and steamed cauliflower.

6fini.jpg

And ice cream for desert with a few of this summer’s raspberries.

6_aice.jpg

Luckily when the temps take a dip like this, the wind is usually calm or very very light. This allows the growth of hoarfrost crystals. The crystals are very delicate, Even the sunshine can cause them to collapse. Under the right conditions, the crystals take on a kind of Disneyesque fairy tale look.

7hoar.jpg

8hoar.jpg

Helps you forget there is still another 120 days of winter..

Enjoy your day!

If the images do not display it may be because I use a “self-signed” certificate. Sorry but I won’t feed the machine.

Thanks for sharing these annotated pics; I enjoyed reading! I wish I had family in Alaska with whom I could visit because I believe I'd enjoy a brief stay.

16 below, and you're eating ice cream? :)

Looks like a good meal and kudos for not letting the cold keep ya from firing up!

You are a hardier man than I am Mike, no way I would go out in temperatures like that. Great pictures, really enjoyed them.

Back